Quantcast

World Champs 2012 Thread

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'll put Graves right behind Smith.
Then Hill in 3rd.
Gee will fall off his bike and suffer from nutsack flashbacks.
Gwinn will be distracted by all the stuff his shoes are doing, because they do a lot of things

Macdonald in 4th
Blenkinsop in 5th

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yep, Brosnan's is a Demo with dropper post and air can...with the number of cables I see routed it may have a lockout (?)

Not sure about Gwin's bike so Graves is the only one on an endure as far as I know at this point.

My only point was, obviously the course is different and has a much larger ratio of pedaling to technical terrain or otherwise the bikes would not be modified much. There are a number of courses that have "long" pedaling sections that the riders do not modify their bikes for, so obviously this is significant.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Dropper post were much less prevalent the last race at PMB.
Was a big buzz the first year or two.

Def could see alot of borderline light components though.
Maybe even EXO tires......?.....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Is Redbull broadcasting this?

I can't seem to find anything as far as who is broadcasting for the Worlds. They are saying their next event is Norway.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I wonder if Graves can maintain Yeti's claim to 'fastest trap speed' on the SB.
That was the 303's biggest/only claim to fame and he's going to cock it up seeking an actual podium spot.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Is Redbull broadcasting this?

I can't seem to find anything as far as who is broadcasting for the Worlds. They are saying their next event is Norway.

http://live.redbull.tv/

1 September 2013 1:50 pm - 5:15 pm (CEST)

UCI Mountain Bike World Championships 2013: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa Downhill Finals Women and Men Elite

The downhill race at the UCI World Championships is the most eagerly awaited race of the year. This one-off event sees professional riders put on the colours of their nation as they seek glory for their country and aim to claim the coveted World Championship Rainbow Jersey for themselves. Watch all the action from the Men’s and Women’s races at the 2013 UCI World Championships in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, live on Red Bull TV.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Raced the Masters Worlds there last week on what was 90% of the Elite track for this weekend.
-will be VERY surprised if riders are utilizing dropper posts on that track
-was surprised at how many times per run my suspension bottomed (front & rear) on my DH bike.
-will be more interested in seeing tire selection as it's quite slick and hard packed with a thin film of loose over it
-had a really fun time riding a track with such big jumps
-track is eyeball-bouncingly FAST in several spots
-if it doesn't rain, the dirt will continue to break down at an alarming rate and the track will continue to deteriorate rapidly, further complicating tire choice

Happy to answer questions for you e-speccing, know-it-all retards interested in what it's really like down there.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
yes sir. I was told by the track builder that there are several new jumps now located in the section where all the sustained pedaling was. Now, the go is sprint, jump, pump, sprint, jump, pump, etc.

I certainly saw no need for a dropper and I am less fit than 99% of those dudes, I'd guarantee it. Additionally, I wouldn't want to mess with the lever in between all those jumps, either. To be honest, I just didn't sit down all that much.

I found the track really fun, if not the most technical thing I'd ever ridden. I actually looked forward to my race run, although it did hurt a little.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wouldn't a dropper post be better if you are not fit since it's easier to pedal sitting down than mashing down when you stand?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Raced the Masters Worlds there last week on what was 90% of the Elite track for this weekend.
-will be VERY surprised if riders are utilizing dropper posts on that track
-was surprised at how many times per run my suspension bottomed (front & rear) on my DH bike.
-will be more interested in seeing tire selection as it's quite slick and hard packed with a thin film of loose over it
-had a really fun time riding a track with such big jumps
-track is eyeball-bouncingly FAST in several spots
-if it doesn't rain, the dirt will continue to break down at an alarming rate and the track will continue to deteriorate rapidly, further complicating tire choice

Happy to answer questions for you e-speccing, know-it-all retards interested in what it's really like down there.
Hmm, if YOU are saying it has big jumps, that is saying something. And I'm a handicap not a retard..OK, so maybe both.

BTW, I've ridden back here in NH with a few guys who were commenting on the notable size of Sol Vistas jumps. I remember back when big jumps, such as French Creek, were not all that big by todays standards.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Goddamnit I hope that paint job wins more then I hope Gwin wins, and I really want Gwin to win.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
interesting move for the fox shox double barrel (FSDB) ...

wont e-fit on ih sunday tho.. the stanchion is too thin LOL

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Maybe no dropper, but an Ensure-filled camelback is definitely a weight penalty... What's a switchacks?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Definitely. He should get a few stitches for it. I had the same injury on the side of my right lower leg. Actually it didn't hurt at all I have to say. But not sure how it is while riding...

Fox goes double barrel style...