World Champs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'd love to see Peat win it obviously.

Would be cool to see Sick Mick pull his first major win this year there as well, though I don't think he quite has what it takes, always JUST off the pace.

Hill's an obvious contender, but if he wins I'll only be happy if it's by a 7+ second domination - dull otherwise.

Never liked Minnaar, so he's bound to win as it's the only person I DON'T want to win... can't put my finger on why, he just bores me.

Would be sweet as hell if Gee made it back-to-back Champs, but he's not coping well with pressure so far this year so it seems unlikely.

But... my virtual tenner's going on Rennie. He's got a lot to prove, and it going to want it more than anyone, except maybe Peat :)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I will have every voodoo doll raring to go in the peaty shrine here in the office. But there is about 15 other dudes I would love to see win. I want Peat to win, but will be selfishly pissed if he does and I am not there to see it haha.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Sam hill needs to redeem himself after last years crash.

1.Sam
2.Peaty
3.Gwin
True, but I think the time when he will really want to prove a point is at val di sole in 2010, he will be determined to show everyone that he really was the fastest guy on the hill that day in 2008.

Peat
Minnaar
Mick

In any order, but hopefully peat no.1

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
ROFL @ Riffle. I suppose the very definition of "hope" is quite fitting there actually... :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't hate Riffle, but he has been MASSIVELY eclipsed by Gwin. Riffle was always promised to be the next big thing for you guys, and he never really got close.

As for Minnaar. Meh, he's boring. I don't hate him, I just don't get a buzz when I see him win.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
If Peat wins, the Queen should send him a Telegram of congratulations, and Sheffield Zoo should send a man round to collect the WC Curse monkey from off his back.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It's going to be an Aussie domination on an Aussie track.

I'm expecting big things from Rennie.

Upon saying that, emotionally I'd like Peaty to take it. That would be as big as the Atherton hat-trick, Hill's Champery race and Hill in Italy. Huge.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's going to be an Aussie domination on an Aussie track.

I'm expecting big things from Rennie.

Upon saying that, emotionally I'd like Peaty to take it. That would be as big as the Atherton hat-trick, Hill's Champery race and Hill in Italy. Huge.
FYI, if his knee was bothering him so bad 2 months ago that he could barely qualify for finals, you really need to dismiss the notion that he's going to even come close to winning Worlds on a power track. Ask anybody with blown knees....it takes a year with no setbacks to be close to 100% power again.

Not bagging on Rennie at all. It's just the way it is with knees...but hey, if he can pull a podium, I'd be impressed.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, Fabien will tell you podiums are out of the question.

*I realize that they are different style courses...he certainly does bring to question how much injuries will affect you though.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
FYI, if his knee was bothering him so bad 2 months ago that he could barely qualify for finals, you really need to dismiss the notion that he's going to even come close to winning Worlds on a power track. Ask anybody with blown knees....it takes a year with no setbacks to be close to 100% power again.

Not bagging on Rennie at all. It's just the way it is with knees...but hey, if he can pull a podium, I'd be impressed.
generally I think thats true, but I'd definitely say that with world class athletes, there are exceptions. Look at barel, as pegboy pointed out. I'm hoping he does well.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
When peat raced canberra at the WC last year he never did that well.
I seem to remember it was because he was blown off a jump at an odd angle. How was he doing up to that point in the race?

I think this could be his best chance

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA

I agree. I almost want him to win as much as Peaty, but I don't see it. For the last couple of years I've been hearing that it's his year/month/race/World's because he's motivated/new bike/new training/new knee/girlfriend but so far nothing. I guess the same with Kovarik as well.

Actually, an old school podium would be cool

1. Peat
2. Rennie
3. Kovarik
4. Lopes
5. Palmer (now riding for Botswana)

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Don't get me wrong, I think Aaron Gwin has risen to the top of the sport and is an extremely talented rider, as his rankings show. But only going on lastyears course, is he really that much of a threat up against the likes of power with Peaty, Minnaar and co.? I don't want it to sound like I am putting down his level of fitness because he can clearly put together some great runs on longer courses ie MSA. But do you guys think/know if he actually has the cardio fitness to podium this race. (Mind you I know nothing about this course or his preparations this year)

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Don't get me wrong, I think Aaron Gwin has risen to the top of the sport and is an extremely talented rider, as his rankings show. But only going on lastyears course, is he really that much of a threat up against the likes of power with Peaty, Minnaar and co.? I don't want it to sound like I am putting down his level of fitness because he can clearly put together some great runs on longer courses ie MSA. But do you guys think/know if he actually has the cardio fitness to podium this race. (Mind you I know nothing about this course or his preparations this year)

I honestly forget what a G-dang patriotic red blooded American I am until I see American athletes do well... then I start crying and punching things in pure joy...

That said, Gwin seems to be more suited to wide open Man tracks than a pedal-fest course like Canberra... I'd put him in the same camp as Blinky, Brendogg, and of course king Sam. That is, so far... Gwin's only been in this a season and a half.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Love to see either Fabien (my favorite rider), Peaty (Hmmm I wonder why?), or Gwin (America F* Yea!) win it.

What a riveting year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As for Minnaar. Meh, he's boring. I don't hate him, I just don't get a buzz when I see him win.
Hmmm... That's exactly my view of Peat, his achievement in the sport and what he puts back into it is amazing and deserves mentioning, but his persona and riding just bores me and the whole Syndicate trying to be funny thing just seems too fake/staged and lame too. (Peat's riding did seem to step up a notch and became more exciting, loose and on the edge at the start of this season tho, more of that would be really good to see).. I also find his patriotism to border on bigotry at times.. which has always put me off anyone.

Minnaar still manages to pull off something incomprehensible once in a while(how did he managed to jump the first annoying flat rock garden at the top of the new section at Ft bill? Yogic flying?) also, when when minnaar does crash it's often pretty mental to watch (bottom of off beat wall years ago)
dislocating his shoulder mid run isn't exactly boring either!

I think it would be funny as hell if Lopes were to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.