Quantcast

world cup

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I watched both matches yesterday and have to leave for a parade in a bit. This is the first time I have ever wished I had TiVo.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
ALEXIS_DH said:
no, its the football that is really played with the feet.
Ahh yes...that one...watching Ivory Coast / Argentina now. Sad showing by Sweden, tie to Trinidad and Tobago. It'll be interesting, except anybody who's playing Brazil...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to see Argentina win it, but I am guessing either Brazil or German. USA is 80:1 odds to win it all!

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
jimmydean said:
I want to see Argentina win it, but I am guessing either Brazil or German. USA is 80:1 odds to win it all!
This is what is crazy about WC. US is ranked 5th in the world, Germany 19th. Many folks think Germany will win it all and the US will be doing well to get out of group play...buckle your seatbelt kids, this should be interesting.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Since last Sunday when I injured my shoulder (Dislocated and fractured it while dirt jumping) I have had lots of time to start watching the World Cup. I have been recording every game I can on my DVR.

What did you guys think of the US vs. Italy game? Those red cards on the US were freaking lame. But the first own goal in world cup was pretty funny to see. =]

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
robdamanii said:
They built a temporary jail to house all the unruly soccer hooligans that they detain at the WC games. I find that amusing.

i thought you had to be unruly to be considered a soccer hooligan?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Total Heckler said:
Since last Sunday when I injured my shoulder (Dislocated and fractured it while dirt jumping) I have had lots of time to start watching the World Cup. I have been recording every game I can on my DVR.

What did you guys think of the US vs. Italy game? Those red cards on the US were freaking lame. But the first own goal in world cup was pretty funny to see. =]
I thought the first red was harsh. I would have given the guy a yellow, but I guess after giving the Italian a straight red the ref though he should do the same for the US. The second yellow on Pope was deserved though, he cut the guy down from behind. The way he was playing, they were better off without him on the field...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Total Heckler said:
But the first own goal in world cup was pretty funny to see. =]
Huh?

Paraguay had one in the loss to England earlier in this cup. Another example that is well known was the own goal that a Columbian player had in their loss to the US in the '94 cup. That earned him a shooting back home.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still say Argentina will walk through everyone this year, just watch.

Brazill looks like crap, unless they wake up, they will be lucky to survive the second round.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I didn't see the second US red card but the first was deserved. At first I thought he was hard done by but when seen from the reverse angle, that was a nasty tackle, a leg breaker on another day. It was pretty stoopid at that point in the game, it looked like the US could have gone on to win that. Let's hope they have a bit more luck against Ghana.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Observations...

Officiating in this WC has been abismal at best.

The level of theatrics when taking a dive to try to get a call is the worst I have seen. I always defend soccer to my meathead coworkers, and after watching some of the sissy A$$ed dives that these guys are taking, I can see why some people think that Soccer is played by a bunch of pvssies! In my oppinion it is ruining the game, and the refs should yellow card anyone taking a dive trying to get a call... the refs are wearing those headphones & mic's they should go to an instant replay for it!

US, played well considering loosing 2 players to red cards.

Australia was outplaying Brazil and it is a shame they came up short. I thought they deserved at least a tie!

as usual the TV coverage kinda sucks. When there are WC games going on, why in the hell is there some rerun of some stupid poker tournament on?

these are only my observations and oppinions. having said that I cant wait to get my next fix and watch the next match that is televised!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Supposedly the ref for the US v. Italy match was banned from the 2002 WC due to questionable calls during the 1998 WC. Why would they ever let him back?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wumpus said:
Supposedly the ref for the US v. Italy match was banned from the 2002 WC due to questionable calls during the 1998 WC. Why would they ever let him back?
yep made me scratch my head too!

Ps, how is the wrist feeling?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Wow... Michael Owen out with a possible torn ACL and MCL. I'm not really a fan of any particular team in the tournament, but you really hate to see stuff like that happen to anybody. :ouch:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wumpus said:
Wrist is fine and my pinky has about 75% range of motion -- enough to grip the bars without feeling funky.:thumb:
Good deal! do the docs have you working out with any special movements of it to increase the range of movement? It is great that the feeling is good in it, I have several people I know that have had wacky pains after surgery!

Badmunkey said:
Wow... Michael Owen out with a possible torn ACL and MCL. I'm not really a fan of any particular team in the tournament, but you really hate to see stuff like that happen to anybody.
yeah that sucks! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
brungeman said:
Good deal! do the docs have you working out with any special movements of it to increase the range of movement? It is great that the feeling is good in it, I have several people I know that have had wacky pains after surgery.

Yeah, I had some exercises to do. Now I get to strap it down with tape for a few minutes,:dead: and I have some expensive play doh to do some strengthening exercises with.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Badmunkey said:
Wow... Michael Owen out with a possible torn ACL and MCL. I'm not really a fan of any particular team in the tournament, but you really hate to see stuff like that happen to anybody. :ouch:
His knee folded in half without being touched. Ouch.

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
brungeman said:
Observations...

Australia was outplaying Brazil and it is a shame they came up short. I thought they deserved at least a tie!
Thanks! we're not doing so bad as this is only our second showing ever at a world cup. Got our first vicory and goals this cup so it's a bit of a big deal here in Australia.

Whatever result Australia can scratch up is going to be great for the game here, but I think "Joe Public' who might not follow football/soccer normally are expecting huge things (ie. a win) as thats what we normally do in the other world cup we compete in (cricket, rugby union).

It's also brought out a bit of one-eyed journalism, I liked this about frees for and against, the stats are interesting though...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/aussie-update/australia-creating-cup-history-8212-thanks-to-refs/2006/06/20/1150701554788.html

We've got a real good chance of making it to the 2nd round however, help cheer us on against Croatia!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Bjern Fita said:
Thanks! we're not doing so bad as this is only our second showing ever at a world cup. Got our first vicory and goals this cup so it's a bit of a big deal here in Australia.

Whatever result Australia can scratch up is going to be great for the game here, but I think "Joe Public' who might not follow football/soccer normally are expecting huge things (ie. a win) as thats what we normally do in the other world cup we compete in (cricket, rugby union).

It's also brought out a bit of one-eyed journalism, I liked this about frees for and against, the stats are interesting though...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/aussie-update/australia-creating-cup-history-8212-thanks-to-refs/2006/06/20/1150701554788.html

We've got a real good chance of making it to the 2nd round however, help cheer us on against Croatia!
I was impressed by their grit, guts, and their stamina! I will be routing for them for sure!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the Aussie team. I'm glad to see them in it and have sure put the fight to some tough matches so far. Wish I could say so much for the US in the first match.

My money is still on Argentina. Just watch them whoop ass.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
England is looking a little wobbly. But I want to see Crouch kick some a$$. Owen looks like a goner, which is a shame, I'm guessing MCL. Rooney seems a little off. So does Lampard.

I keep rootin for them though...

Hey! 500 posts! That went fast...

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
Holland and Argentina nil all. Bit of a contrast to the 6 goal drubbing they handed out last game.

I didn't actually watch the game this morning (5am). Did the Argentines take their foot of the accelerator as they'd already qualified or did the Dutch really take it to them?