Quantcast

World Series discussion thread

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
^ it's a beautiful thing though, isn't it? i mean, the last few games were good...a bit of suspense and whatnot. i'm hoping they sweep though because i have no finger nails left.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
^ it's a beautiful thing though, isn't it? i mean, the last few games were good...a bit of suspense and whatnot. i'm hoping they sweep though because i have no finger nails left.
Yeah, the last two games were great. A bit of suspense, and then Boston pulls off the win.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't expect to see the Sox take their foot off of Colorado's throat. The last thing they want is to let the Rox think they have a chance. End it now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Colorado would rather end it now too so they don't have to face Beckett again. I don't blame them either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think Colorado would rather end it now too so they don't have to face Beckett again. I don't blame them either.
I almost want Colorado to win tonight just so I can see Beckett pitch again.

By the time game time rolls around though, I'll be pulling for the Sox. :twitch:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
man, to tell you the truth, i just want to go to a game so badly; my buds scored tickets for last night and tonight, flew out to colorado on friday and proceeded to convert their hotel area into a mini-Boston. they had an extra set of tickets too, but i just couldn't justify 350 a piece plus a 450 dollar flight. and yea, it'd be awesome to see beckett pitch again, but i won't be too dissappointed if the sox take it tonight (although a home victory would be amazing...havn't experienced that one yet)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so what happens to all of the people who bought tickets to the next 3 games providing the red sox stay in the lead tonight? do they just lose their money or is it refunded.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The look on the last Rockies hitters face when he struck out...so dejected, coupled with the word "fvck" escaping from his lips.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love a good celebration!

An unruly crowd flipped a pickup truck to its side near Fenway Park and at least one car fire was reported. Young people sprayed each other with beer and some climbed street signs or utility poles.
I thought it was a good series to watch. Other than the first game, it was close. Looking at the final scores, you wouldn't think so.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
and not just any guitarist...michio kurihara is unreal.

damn, he should have been pitching instead of okajima.
I'm still blown away by that show from a month ago. By the way, it was loud. Get earplugs for your earplugs.

Officially, I'm not allowed to comment on the Series as a Yankee fan. :disgust:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It was sad to see such an inspiring run by the Rockies get screwed up by a TV licensing contract. We probably haven't seen the last of that team though. And we definitely haven't seen the last of TV network agreements affecting the outcome of championships :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love a good celebration!

I thought it was a good series to watch. Other than the first game, it was close. Looking at the final scores, you wouldn't think so.

I didn't watch every inning but I never saw a moment when the Rockies led. There were moments of hope for them to come back but never hope for them to win. Just wasn't that good of a series. Oh well, congrats to the Red Sox.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It was sad to see such an inspiring run by the Rockies get screwed up by a TV licensing contract. We probably haven't seen the last of that team though. And we definitely haven't seen the last of TV network agreements affecting the outcome of championships :(
i guess i missed this in the bright glare of the pitching and hitting dominance...what 'tv licensing contract' screwjob are you talking about?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i guess i missed this in the bright glare of the pitching and hitting dominance...what 'tv licensing contract' screwjob are you talking about?

8 day layoff because the world series has to be on a fixed date because of TV contracts. The way it worked out the Sox did get just enough time off to get their pitching rotation exactly where they wanted it and the Rockies had too much time off and got rusty.

The argument is that a team that sweeps a division should get an advantage over one that takes 7. Without TV contracts the Series could start right after the last team to win their pennant.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The argument about the TV contract might be valid if the series ended up being close, but seing as the Sox swept, I can't imagine that it effected the outcome significantly. If there had been less of a layoff, it might have taken an extra game or two, but the Red Sox were clearly the dominant team. Blaming the TV contract for their win is BS.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Cleavland would have done just as much, if not more damage. After watching the play-offs, it didn't look like the National League had much of a chance.

I am an NL fan, but the AL seems to have all the coin.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm not saying the Sox wouldn't have won anyway, but it would have been nice to see if the Rockies would have played better if they hadn't been forced to sit on their thumbs for over a week. It certainly would have made for a more interesting series.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Give both teams three months off and the Sox still dominate. They are definitely the better team.

However, start the WS the very next day after the ALCS and I bet it's a coin flip as to who wins.

I'd also like to see only one week between Championship games and the Superbowl.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I think Cleavland would have done just as much, if not more damage. After watching the play-offs, it didn't look like the National League had much of a chance.

I am an NL fan, but the AL seems to have all the coin.
absolutely. the yankees, angels, or indians all would have beaten colorado.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Agreed. I'd be more interested in it if there was a salary cap like football... as well as a salary minimum.
there is a salary minimum, it's $400k. and as for the salary cap, all it does is make the owners richer. they won't lower ticket prices, but the players' salaries will probably take a hit causing the profits for someone like ol' george to keep going up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
there is a salary minimum, it's $400k. and as for the salary cap, all it does is make the owners richer. they won't lower ticket prices, but the players' salaries will probably take a hit causing the profits for someone like ol' george to keep going up.
you misunderstand, salary minimum as it relates to salary cap... not individual players, but forcing owners to have a team salary that's above a set amount.

Is the parity problem an issue that some teams pay too much or is it a problem that some pay too little? Point is, set the salary cap at $100million and you'll still have some owners paying $50mil.