Quantcast

Worth buying a new rear hub?

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
So my stock dt swiss rim on my 06 sunday team finally got a flat spot, which in turn led to countless more. Now I need to get a new rim, but since
I'm already going to need to dissassemble the wheel and get new spokes and
whatnot, is there any worthy advantage in upgrading from the stock random asian company hub and just buying a whole new wheel pre-assembled?

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
does shimano do a 150mmX12mm hub?
You can get a 150 x 12mm Saint hub. I've been pounding one on my 7point for over a year now with no issues. But then you gotta run the Saint derailleur too...and centerlock brakes...that's just Shimano's way of trapping you into their products. I have the whole grouppo on my bike, but only because it came stock. I actually like it a lot, but it definitely sucks if you just want one part.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
well are you going to do the same for the front? cause it sounds like your going to end up with mismatching wheels.

A new hub is a big upgrade from the stock hubs on the lower version sundays. if you want to put the money down for one which is around $200 for a actual upgrade from the previous hub. But there is some hubs that are cheap that run better then your stock hub like

Azonic Recoil hub
WTB speed disc super duty

good luck

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I would get another DT rim and move the spokes over to it. Just tape the two rims together (lining up the valve hole of course)

But if you really want a nice long lasting wheel get an EX729 rim and lace it to a Hadley hub. 255-256mm spokes 36h 3x.

Mike

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Why not get a set of azonic outlaws, they're pretty cheap and surprisingly strong. Thhey held up to my fat a$$ on a short travel bike doing non stop double black diamond runs at mammoth.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I think i had fluidride throw on new spokes just cause it wasnt too expensive and i didnt want to re use the old ones cause a couple were f'ed up

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
oh yeah i wish we had a downhill specific shop here because i have a feeling these people don't really know what they're doing. I suppose it's just a wheel though...