Quantcast

Would 24" wheels help me?

pillshovel

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Kentucky
I ride mostly street but have started to try some dirt jumping. The problem I am having actually pertains to my street riding though. When I am trying to J-hop onto things that are over 2 feet or so, I am sometimes catching my back tire on the ledge. I know this may be a stupid question, but would switching to a 24 inch rear wheel give me more clearance or does the fact that I will be starting lower just cancel that out? I'm sorry if the question doesn't make any sense....I am at work, and I don't have much time to think clearly (much less type).

Here is a picture of my bike so you can have some idea as to the geometry.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
How long have you had the bike? I had the same problem w/ my p.29(very frustrating). It just took time(3mo) for me to get used to it. 24" wheels are lighter and it's easier to hop a 20" so I would be inclined to say the answer to your question is yes. Not to mention they give you a tighter turning radius and are typically a littler stronger therfore, better for street and park riding if that's what you do the most of.

pillshovel

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Kentucky
Hucknificent said:
How long have you had the bike? I had the same problem w/ my p.29(very frustrating). It just took time(3mo) for me to get used to it. 24" wheels are lighter and it's easier to hop a 20" so I would be inclined to say the answer to your question is yes. Not to mention they give you a tighter turning radius and are typically a littler stronger therfore, better for street and park riding if that's what you do the most of.
I've only had it for a couple of months, but I doubt that I have gotten to ride over 4 times since I got it, so maybe I just need to get used to it. That would definitely be the cheaper option.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the number one thing that will help you hop higher is spending time on your bike working on hopping.

as mentioned, smaller wheels are lighter but that doesn't mean much really if you can't hop, you can't hop.

just practice. lots of trials guys ride 26 inch wheels and can hop pretty damm high.

I like to find a ledge that gets gradually taller to hop onto. you can start low and work your way up during the same session.

also, J-hop, bunnyhop, deer hop, american hop, pro hop, dolfin, etc are all terms for getting the bike off the ground without the use of a ramp. :)

pillshovel

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Kentucky
Thanks for the help guys. I definitely can't afford 2 wheels right now so I guess I will stick with what I have. I used to be able to hop alot higher but I have been off of bikes for over 2 years now....so I am quite out of shape at the moment. Hopefully in time I can get back to riding as well as I used to.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
number one way to jumpe higher is to hit the gym, work out upper body and your legs. trust me on this before i hit the gym 3 seasons ago i could bunny hop maby 3 feet. now i can go well over handle bar height (highest i have done was about 4 1/2 feet up and 6 inches wide from flat ground. it also has a lot to do with technique. smooth vs unsmooth, front wheel mega high vs. almost even vs both even etc. a lot of it is personal, watching bmx videos helps a ton with almost any trick, they all have it so dialed.

ps i love the look of your bike

pillshovel

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Kentucky
dexter said:
number one way to jumpe higher is to hit the gym, work out upper body and your legs. trust me on this before i hit the gym 3 seasons ago i could bunny hop maby 3 feet. now i can go well over handle bar height (highest i have done was about 4 1/2 feet up and 6 inches wide from flat ground. it also has a lot to do with technique. smooth vs unsmooth, front wheel mega high vs. almost even vs both even etc. a lot of it is personal, watching bmx videos helps a ton with almost any trick, they all have it so dialed.

ps i love the look of your bike
Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I know I should be working out more, but 64 hour work weeks and a 1 month old son have severely limited my time for the moment. I think practice is my only hope right now. Thanks again for the info. I think I have my answer (didn't really want to spend the money swapping wheels anyway so this is good).

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
dexter said:
now i can go well over handle bar height (highest i have done was about 4 1/2 feet up and 6 inches wide from flat ground. it also has a lot to do with technique. smooth vs unsmooth, front wheel mega high vs. almost even vs both even etc. a lot of it is personal,

Could you explain the difference between having the front wheel high vs. even with the back and what difference it makes.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
it slackens out the headangle, making the steering slower and lowers the bb, which on most street frames is really really damn low. it will make the bike jump easier but the front end will be higher up in the jump sequense no matter what due to the position. also it willo manual better but all these add up to make for a goofy handling bike unless it was designed to be run that way (endless for example) i say keep it the way it is. congrats on the son should be ripping it up in a few years just like dad. its hard to find time to work out (im in college and in between school, homework, eating, drinkin, boobies, biking, and drinking its hard to get in a good workout but you find a way once you gain 10 lbs (i hate college food) i try and go late at nights on the weekdays esp tuesday and thursday usually not to many people there so its not crowded and your not missing out on anything at home. trust me practice and muscle building are the main factors behind a great bunnyhop. do lots of push ups and pull ups around the house when you have spare time, 10 reps of 20 and you will be burning hard and after about 2 weeks you will notice a huge increase

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dexter said:
highest i have done was about 4 1/2 feet up and 6 inches wide from flat ground.
I would love to see a picture of this.

DH-DZ

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
western Maine
here is my opinion on 24"

they make things easier in a sence but it makes the bike ride totally different.

me and my friend have the same imp and he has 24" and his manuals up easier then it is harder to balance out.

we are about the same skill at riding because we both pratice on our own bikes.

id say if you want to ride 24" then buy them but really its about pratice and getting into shape.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
just practice more!!!
i can hop my 47lb 8.5" travel bike over 3'
just get back and get your bike more vertical before you hop!
bunny hops are one of my favorite things!!!

dirtdevil

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Coto de Caza
pillshovel said:
I ride mostly street but have started to try some dirt jumping. The problem I am having actually pertains to my street riding though. When I am trying to J-hop onto things that are over 2 feet or so, I am sometimes catching my back tire on the ledge. I know this may be a stupid question, but would switching to a 24 inch rear wheel give me more clearance or does the fact that I will be starting lower just cancel that out? I'm sorry if the question doesn't make any sense....I am at work, and I don't have much time to think clearly (much less type).

Here is a picture of my bike so you can have some idea as to the geometry.

If your a legal midget then it's all good to ride 24's. MTB's are meant to have 26" wheels, anything else is cheating and if I saw you I would call you out. Do you really think that if your casing with 26's and you switched out to 24's that you would clear things??? Sounds like you should take a Math class during your summer months bruh! :nuts: Get yourself some weights and put some muscle on them chickenwings!

pillshovel

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Kentucky
dirtdevil said:
If your a legal midget then it's all good to ride 24's. MTB's are meant to have 26" wheels, anything else is cheating and if I saw you I would call you out. Do you really think that if your casing with 26's and you switched out to 24's that you would clear things??? Sounds like you should take a Math class during your summer months bruh! :nuts: Get yourself some weights and put some muscle on them chickenwings!
It seems to me that I stated in the original question that it may be a stupid question. I also recall saying that my question had been answered several posts back. Now what I haven't said is that I currently benchpress 340 and I have a doctorate in pharmacy. Before you start calling people weak and stupid, check into the background information, just a little bit better. I think that my innability is most likely due to a lack of practice and neither of the aforementioned issues. As for math classes, I think this is more of a physics issue, so you might want to get that straight too. I am going to assume that this subject is closed, but if you feel the need to say more, PM me. Otherwise, come on over and check out these chickenwings.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
dirtdevil said:

Do you really think 24" wheels are cheating?

Although, I don't think 24" wheels will help this guy,

I like Cowen's rules for Mtb competition...

According to Cowen, mountain bikes must have one of the following
front brake
26" wheel
or a rear derailer.

Besides, for dirtjumping whats better then 24" wheels? you get more stability then 20" wheels, but you get a more agile feel then 26's. Plus with a 24" mountain bike, you can run disc's if you want, you can run gears if you choose, and you get a head angle designed for a suspension fork which is a nice feature to have if you over clear/case a landing.

besides, as long as you're having fun, it doesn't really matter what you ride.

britinmtb

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
kent
The 24 Will Help But It Will Throw Everything Off By This I Mean The Bike Will Fill Chopperish. Chang Front And Rear You Will Have A Sweet Ride Go Th Tonicfab.com And Check Out The Fall Guy It Is A Sweet Ride And You Will Notice What I Am Telling You I Ride For These Guy And Rideing The 24 Helped Out On My Urban So Much Handrails And Gaps Are No Problem Now

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I thought he was talking about putting duel 24"s on his bike, but now I realize that he just wanted to put one on the back. Thats a bad idea unless the bike is designed for it. Go with 24/24, or 26/26, unless you ride a bike like the endless lifetime that was designed around a the 24/26 concept.

by the way Britinmtb, Tonic fall guys are sick! Those bikes are pretty much the new dopest.

once I break my bike, I'm gettin one of those for sure.