Quantcast

Would these fork lower scratches interfere with the fork?

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
I dropped my bike going slow on wet leaves and concrete curb. It put a lot of deep scratches into the fork. I am surprised they are so deep.

What worries me is since the scratches are pretty deep, will it push the metal inside the lowers into the action of the fork? I don't know exactly what the internals look like.

I don't notice any problems with the fork, they feel normal.

This is a Marzocchi 888 Evo v2

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
I would double check. I had a 2011 888 ti and took it to marzocchi for stiction and they told me the lowers had thin walls and a minor dent created the stiction(sp?). Ended up getting new lowers.
Let me know if the 2011 lowers fit your fork...I have an extra set of the ti color lowers.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I would double check. I had a 2011 888 ti and took it to marzocchi for stiction and they told me the lowers had thin walls and a minor dent created the stiction(sp?). Ended up getting new lowers.
Let me know if the 2011 lowers fit your fork...I have an extra set of the ti color lowers.

Ooooh I'll take the lowers if he doesn't want them! Mine are all scratched up and dented. Are they new?

Dents on the lowers of a 888 can cause stiction. I can definitely feel a rough point when cycling the stanchion on mine.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I would double check. I had a 2011 888 ti and took it to marzocchi for stiction and they told me the lowers had thin walls and a minor dent created the stiction(sp?).
To test, just remove the spring, bottom out the fork. Feel any weird resistance? IF not, you're fine, if you do, your lowers are toast. Takes about 2 minutes to try.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i remember dropping mine when i first got them and was amazed at how light they were.
dude my friends 06 40 got scraped open in greens river utah on our roadtrip. he washed out before this narrow shoot drop thing and a rock pierced right through the lowers.. totally understandable failure but it is wild how thin those walls are!
(we fixed it on the road ghetto style... we disassembled, cleaned the sh*t out of the lowers, cleaned the paint off with sandpaper down to the base metal ( magnesium? ) and applied JB weld.. lasted him way past the roadtrip haha)