Quantcast

Would you buy a Turner 4X bike?...

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Turner Bikes is planning on making some more 4X bikes like the ones the pros have had over the last couple years. I'm speaking of the mini 5 spot type not the mini DHR Rail type.

If and when Turner makes more would you buy one? They're trying to get a feel on how many to make! Speak up!

Here's a pic of the one they said they'd make a year ago but never did...

Thanks Monkeys, Krispy

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Nah...I'd rather have a Cowan with the concentric BB for more options.

Unless the Turner was obscenely lighter...It just doesn't seem to bring anything new to the market except the Turner name on the side.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What happened to the Horst Link on Turner 4 bar bikes? I've never ridden one with or without except for a quick bounce on a 5 spot so I can't say rather it's better one way or another but the Horst Link was something that made Turners exclusive.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Horst link is so 2005..

Quick answer-
Somewhere between Tony Ellsworth being difficult and the DHR working so well the Horst link went away.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
hey Woo, if you can't make a 4" travel Propedal bike pedal well, it ain't the bikes fault. ;)

That bike looks great for sure, and for the elite racers I bet they'd rock it. I think for most though, the Kona Cowan DS or Howler even would be more then enough.

That said, Turners give me wood.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hey Woo, if you can't make a 4" travel Propedal bike pedal well, it ain't the bikes fault. ;)

I pedal with my tongue, how do you do it?

I'm talking about the cowan............you've never ridden one have you? The guy I know that bought one sold it in two weeks. That thing was wierd.........although I'm sure you could find a gear combo that helped. I'm assuming they quit making them for a reason.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
no...I alrady have a full squishy 4x/ds/dj bike which I got for super cheap and works super good for what I do.
How you finding the split tail? Im hoping next years one gets rid of the fake welded tubes.

Everytime i try to get a price of them (including shipping to oz) they never get back to. Lazy buggers they are.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
How you finding the split tail? Im hoping next years one gets rid of the fake welded tubes.

Everytime i try to get a price of them (including shipping to oz) they never get back to. Lazy buggers they are.
for the amount of DS riding I do it's fantastic! it's simple, the geo is right and it's pretty snappy. I like it a lot.

who is the distributor in OZ? have you tried to get in touch direcly with Peter at Zedsport (www.zedsport.com)?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If i bought bikes I would buy one of those to race slalom on. Nothing else on the market even comes close to that right now in terms of simplicity and hopefully geometry.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
that's probably my first choice for a slalom bike. Nice geometry on the ones I've ridden and SAPA brings the ruckus!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I pedal with my tongue, how do you do it?

I'm talking about the cowan............you've never ridden one have you? The guy I know that bought one sold it in two weeks.
Nope, never ridden one.

Oh, except the one I own i guess. ;) The one that i rode last night, all over the city. Cowan DS, blue, wonderful. And they didn't stop making it, its back this year in a terrible Yellow color. I find it pedals fine, although admittedly I have a DHX air on there so that might help. I also run it with gears, cause single speed for me sucks.

Great little bike, its staying with me for quite a while.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nope, never ridden one.

Oh, except the one I own i guess. ;) The one that i rode last night, all over the city. Cowan DS, blue, wonderful. And they didn't stop making it, its back this year in a terrible Yellow color. I find it pedals fine, although admittedly I have a DHX air on there so that might help. I also run it with gears, cause single speed for me sucks.

Great little bike, its staying with me for quite a while.
Interesting. The one I rode packed up with every pedal stroke. Like the rebound damping was cranked. He had a van R on it.

I'd have said the gear combo was wierd but you go through gears on yours without issue. Me confused.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
...If i bought bikes I would buy one ...
I think that this is the problem with this kind of bike. It is high quality, high $ but it is so limited in its use.

The majority of riders looking for/needing this kind of ride have some kind of hook-up. The majority of guys who race DS (not a lot to begin with) AND pay retail are going to be looking for something less expensive (all the $$ goes to the DH rig) OR something that is more versatile, to replace a couple of bikes. It will have the wrong geo for trail/AM riding, and it won't be built beefy enough to be a DJ'er.

Maybe make them as some kind of promo frame available to shop sponsored type of guys. Something like the Mongoose Tribe thing. Put BIG turner/shop logos on them (I know Dave is against this, but..) atleast get some advertising out of it.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
so just to let you know, turner has not release any new on a bike for 4x. the one that Maxxis team rides is a proto and they have like two, the orange one that Kirkalde rode last season is the same frame that he is riding now. Only now it is sand blasted and polished. Way to start rumors. but dont hold your breath.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
so just to let you know, turner has not release any new on a bike for 4x. the one that Maxxis team rides is a proto and they have like two, the orange one that Kirkalde rode last season is the same frame that he is riding now. Only now it is sand blasted and polished. Way to start rumors. but dont hold your breath.
...based upon the fact that Krispy's thread was right in line with another thread here started by a Turner employee....I'd say it is legit...& likely that Kris has discussed said topic with DT.:rolleyes:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
who is the distributor in OZ? have you tried to get in touch direcly with Peter at Zedsport (www.zedsport.com)?
No distributer for the split tail in OZ as far as im aware.

You might rember that i was hasling you 8 months ago as i was thinking of getting one.

Talked with zedsports a few times, like i said i found the sales departement way below par. Its a pity. Asked a few times for a shipping cost and they never got back to me, i was > < far away from buying the ryan edition with the gamut, XO, pearl etc etc. I ended up giving up on the idea.

The price and parts is awsome, but obviously not interested in OS sales.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I thought you could run gears on the Cowan? Guess I'm just dumb...In which case, if the price was right (but it's prolly not). What's geo like on it?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I thought you could run gears on the Cowan? Guess I'm just dumb...In which case, if the price was right (but it's prolly not). What's geo like on it?
You can run gears, it's just that w/ the concentric pivot you can also run it SS.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I can't beleive you guys are comparing a Kona with Turner!
Can you say craftsmanship ??
I think Turner needs to hurry up with the bike and you'll
see plenty of people will buy one!
there isn't many true options for me out there in a fs ds/mtx bike
geometry is either off or too heavily built!
I ride a giant trance which I like very much but could use a slacker HA
I bought it in 05 because Turner didn't make a 4x bike at the time
the Giant has a great suspension, really pedals well! And a good bit
lighter than other good 4x bikes - Intense Tazer, etc.