Quantcast

WR work party Oct 1st

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
For the upcoming Fall Fest and drastic need for maintenance, I'm scheduling a work party for the 1st of October. So far there is 1 need/would like to have at least 10. Who's in....don't say I wish I could but....

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
I will be in florida for a triathlon but will be trying to get some work done in the week leading up to it, so I will let you know how far I get.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
If anyone ends up riding WR before next weekend post up any issues you come across, if you know the trail name it would be helpful. It's easier to divide and conquer without walking the entire mountain.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Ya, i'll come out and give a hand. We needing any tools or what not?
If you have a blower, weedeater, or chainsaw bring it. Depending on how many show you may or may not even need to use it but it would be cool to have it and not need it rather 15 show with only 10 tools.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Josh, we won't be needing blowers. Its way too early to blow. What is most needed would be a chainsaw, weedeater, and hand pruners. Best cause scenario would be each person could head off down a different trail and take care of anything that would arise i.e. downed tree, weedeat, and face slappers.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Josh, we won't be needing blowers. Its way too early to blow. What is most needed would be a chainsaw, weedeater, and hand pruners. Best cause scenario would be each person could head off down a different trail and take care of anything that would arise i.e. downed tree, weedeat, and face slappers.
I have a normal run-of-the-mill low powered weedeater. Should I bring that? I'm not sure it's gonna do a ton to the WR overgrowth.

WhiteVten

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Atl
If anyone ends up riding WR before next weekend post up any issues you come across, if you know the trail name it would be helpful. It's easier to divide and conquer without walking the entire mountain.
Since you asked...
Rode sat/sun and found multiple trees down on multiple trails.
Snakerock: large tree down just before the first mini drop after rock gardens. Couple hundred yards past the trail head.
GT: mostly clear, we moved a rotted out old tree.
Middle Finger: clear.
Bedrock: clear.
Trail going straight past road gap turn in: multiple large trees directly across trail. That will be a large task.
From mid-mountain to road gap is clear.
From top, old windmill to new trail is in good shape (and best trail going right now)
From top before high speed is a ****in mess. Might be OK for some but it delivers a beating to bike and rider.
Trail One: tree down across trail.
Wooden drop section is clear.
Creek gap is good.
Spine is clear.
The trails could use a blowin although the leaves werent bad.

I have a previous commitment but i'll def mention it to some atlanta guys.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I figure it always need to be cleared of leaves anyway before the fest might as well get most of it while were up there workin.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Since you asked...
Rode sat/sun and found multiple trees down on multiple trails.
Snakerock: large tree down just before the first mini drop after rock gardens. Couple hundred yards past the trail head.
GT: mostly clear, we moved a rotted out old tree.
Middle Finger: clear.
Bedrock: clear.
Trail going straight past road gap turn in: multiple large trees directly across trail. That will be a large task.
From mid-mountain to road gap is clear.
From top, old windmill to new trail is in good shape (and best trail going right now)
From top before high speed is a ****in mess. Might be OK for some but it delivers a beating to bike and rider.
Trail One: tree down across trail.
Wooden drop section is clear.
Creek gap is good.
Spine is clear.
The trails could use a blowin although the leaves werent bad.

I have a previous commitment but i'll def mention it to some atlanta guys.
Thanks for the list, that will save us some walking:thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Trail going straight past road gap turn in: multiple large trees directly across trail. That will be a large task. This trail is closed and has been for at least 2 years

From top before high speed is a ****in mess. Might be OK for some but it delivers a beating to bike and rider. Do you mean from the original top or from the Gravel 1 drop in?

Trail One: tree down across trail. Old trail 1 is closed and has been for 2 years. Do you mean Drop Out?
See bold responses

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
yo mulestar,,,ill be gettn to w/r hopefully before noon on sat. and camp'n at the spot and ridn moto and dh on sunday. u gonna be campn sat nite?? i didnt wanna snake your spot.

i plan on running my saw when i get there sat.. so just point me in i direction,,,i have 3 chainsaws if we need extra,,, and the all new "pocket ho"

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Well I'm wishing I would have came down. The series finale at the local MX track was supposed to be today, but it got canceled so I'm stuck at home in this sh!tty weather bored out of my mind...

The work everyone is doing is greatly appreciated though. Can't wait until fall fest to get to ride my bike for the second time this year.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Went well yesterday. 2 trees were down (1 gave us a headache by pinching 3 chainsaws but finally relented) other than that WR was fine. For those that thought the trails were "closed" they're "open".
Something nice for Loo when he gets there too.:thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Given the conditions on Saturday and Sunday I was really surprised that only the Chattanooga crew was out there riding on Sunday. Glad they got to enjoy near perfect conditions.

Thanks to everyone that showed up and worked and thanks to Josh for organizing it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Trails are open 24/7/365.

However from time to time there may be debris or trees down, but that doesn't mean they are closed.

nate22

Chimp
Sep 8, 2011
East Tennessee
My dad and me have only ridden the XC trails and dirt bike trails at Windrock...

Whats the best way to get to the top of the DH trails? I know with large groups of people you use a shuttle truck but its just the two of us. I've also seen people hitch rides from trucks going up the main asphalt road but its mostly four wheelers and motos when we go. Should we just ride up the road every time? seems a little ridiculous but I don't know.