Quantcast

wrapping wrists

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but search function isn't working right now and the google search of the website didn't pull anything up.

I have tried a few wrist braces/wraps and haven't found one yet that fits nicely under a glove and still provides decent movement. If you have any recommendations that would be great, but my primary question is if anyone knows the proper way to wrap a wrist for dh riding? I prefer this over a wrap because to me it feels more comfortable and I used to have mine done by the team trainer for wrestling in high school, but that was almost ten years ago and I don't remember what he did. i have broken both wrists twice now (snowboarding, not downhill) and so am looking for some good protection. i know that if you do it wrong you can end up causing more harm than good so i don't want to try it without knowing what i am doing.

thanks in advance!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
tried the fox glove. med is too small in the fingers, large is too big in the palm and i ended up pinching the fabric in the web of my thumb and wore a blister into it. sucked.

to make a clarification, i am looking for a wrap pattern/technique so i don't hurt myself worse if i go down.

thanks.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
when i wrap my wrist for riding;

I start with a couple of wraps on the forearm, I then bend my wrist a few degrees closed. Then wrap around my tumb across the hand two times. I then continue wrapping the forearm a little bit more. Make sure to not over tighten, no blood to the hand and good luck holding onto the bars.

I think closing the wrist a little when you wrap gives a nice spring in the ace bandage that helps keep pressure on the wrist. This is nice and minimal so you can a standard pair of gloves. I can still even use a pair of 661 raji’s with this set up. I have crashed a few times on the wrist after I injured it. It still hurts like hell, but I can keep riding.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I have had some wrist injuries in the past, more than any other injury so I use one or two of these every time I ride. They provide some support, but mostly just prevent overextension of the wrist in a crash. They go over the glove and I really don't notice them after I put them on.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
tape it up with sticky bandage. something like what the fottballers use to tape their ankles but not to that extreme...

works a treat!
It's either too tight and limits the blood flow (very bad) or too loose and gives you nothing. I've tried it when I had injured my wrists and it worked only on shorter courses where there was less armpump.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007

They have 2 removable plastic supports top and bottom. I'd like to think it saved me a couple of times. The part that goes around the thumb is annoying when holding the bars, but after a while will wear in. When i plan on riding hard i always use them.

I land square on my palm once in a while and without them it definitely hurts for a while. The plastic extends over the palm to give you some protection.

Last edited:

They have 2 removable plastic supports top and bottom. I'd like to think it saved me a couple of times. The part that goes around the thumb is annoying when holding the bars, but after a while will wear in. When i plan on riding hard i always use them.

I land square on my palm once in a while and without them it definitely hurts for a while. The plastic extends over the palm to give you some protection.
2nd for these, i have a pretty bung wrist and these are great, you can make them as tight or as loose as you want
and you can wear it over your glove and they are as cheap as chips

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
what kinda tape would you guys recommend?
Lately out at my local DH trails i've been taking some head dives.. I have that problem that I try to catch my fall with my arms.. so far no serious wrist injuries.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i use the standard pre-wrap that you get at walgreens and then for tape i use vetwrap (you can get it from any veterinarian really cheap). works better than athletic tape. it has more forgiveness, better sweat absorption, wraps smoother creases, and comes is all sorts of colors :thumb:

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
i use the standard pre-wrap that you get at walgreens and then for tape i use vetwrap (you can get it from any veterinarian really cheap). works better than athletic tape. it has more forgiveness, better sweat absorption, wraps smoother creases, and comes is all sorts of colors :thumb:
ha thanks dude

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
exactly. :thumb: and thats what i am used to but have so far been unsuccessful on my own. the tape ends up bunching up on top of my wrist and cuts off circulation. does everybody just uses wraps/braces now?
When I played D-back in football in college we all wrapped our wrists since we always had them jammed.

Here is what we did. Spray the sticky stuff on first to keep the foam pre-wrap from slipping and bunching. This is some type of adhesive but I just don't remember what it's called. Then a layer of the foam pre-wrap. As you begin to put the tape on, flex your wrist backwards and keep it flexed. This flexes the area enough so that when it's straight it's not too tight. Wrap the tape fairly tight. Once you straighten the wrist it should be just right. It does take a little practice though.

Oh, the tape job only needs to be a couple inches wide to provide adequate support. It doesn't need to go halfway up your arm.

Hope this helps.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
exactly. :thumb: and thats what i am used to but have so far been unsuccessful on my own. the tape ends up bunching up on top of my wrist and cuts off circulation. does everybody just uses wraps/braces now?
Make sure to use pre-wrap, and dont 'wrap' per se - use multiple overlapping shorter strips - theres got to be a trainers guide to taping out on this here int3rw3b.

- Falling is tricky - if possible bring your arms in close , loosely ball your fists and turn palm inwards almost like the way they pose mummys, but dont cross arms! Dont tense up, but dont leave your limbs extended.

lulz

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I broke my left wrist (ulna and radius) 8 years ago and it still gives me crap to this day when I ride. I've tried multiple hard and soft braces in the past but I didn't like the tradeoff between protection and mobility that they offered.

I've been having good results these days with regular old athletic tape, I think it's the wider 1 1/2" size I have now. 3 or 4 good, slightly snug wraps and things are held in place with enough mobility to do what I want.

Like this stuff:
http://www.ithacasports.com/11spatta.html

I even found a roll in black at my local department store (Fred Meyer for all you left-coasters).