Quantcast

wrist braces

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
well, i just broke my wrist riding (see thread in lounge, 1 handed typing sux) and am gonna look into braces/support to protect my wrists now. what works for you and is easy to ride with? sorry for spelling/grammar, painkillers are making me feel funny

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I've got two bad wrists from hucks gone wrong and have tried many wrist braces. My favorite is duct tape. Wrap a couple layers and it is pretty stiff, the adhesive holds it in place, your sweat conteracts the adhesive and allows easy removal at the end of the day. Works great.
I also use FOX static wrist wrap gloves.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
TWISTED said:
I've got two bad wrists from hucks gone wrong and have tried many wrist braces. My favorite is duct tape. Wrap a couple layers and it is pretty stiff, the adhesive holds it in place, your sweat conteracts the adhesive and allows easy removal at the end of the day. Works great.
I also use FOX static wrist wrap gloves.
haha, ghetto, but i like it

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
So, Fox Static gloves:

Specialized Fortress gloves (pricey, but sick):

or my usual gloves with the 661 wrist wrap:

Which do you think will offer the most protection/comfort?

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
The Specialized Fortress gloves won't really provide any wrist protection or support (other than the carbon fiber protecting you). I have it and it's a great glove.

The Fox Static gloves look good, but the wrapping material looks flimsey, might be better with the 661 even though they won't be too comfortable.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
crashnscar said:
The Specialized Fortress gloves won't really provide any wrist protection or support (other than the carbon fiber protecting you). I have it and it's a great glove.

The Fox Static gloves look good, but the wrapping material looks flimsey, might be better with the 661 .
Thanks. My thought too was that the dedicated brace would be the best.

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
I'm going to order the 661 lite wrist quards, the neoprene ones, just for that little extra support to help prevent any injuries. I assume they would be the most comfortable under the gloves.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Kadvang said:
haha, ghetto, but i like it
Try the tape first before ordering something. Like I said, I've got two real bad wrists and I've tried all the braces. I ride hard everyday.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The fox gloves seem to work well, although every pair of fox gloves Ive had self destructed sooner than I would of liked so now I buy cheap AXO gloves at cost for a third of the cost. I got a bit tired of skinned knuckles this year, so I may try those foxes as well, or some TLD's if I win the freakin lottery. My buddy elliot has been using them for a while and they look to be holding up alright.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey man,
don't get that 661 brace that you have pictured above.
Get the other 661 brace. The one does not hook through your thumb.
Its stifer, gives you better protection and is alot more comfortable to ride in.
It's the brace that is the same thing as the EVS one.
Heal up!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i had my physical therapist custom make one for me when i was going though pt and started riding again it worked for me and my whole damn arm was destroyed.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
The Kadvang said:
well, i just broke my wrist riding (see thread in lounge, 1 handed typing sux) and am gonna look into braces/support to protect my wrists now. what works for you and is easy to ride with? sorry for spelling/grammar, painkillers are making me feel funny
Just curious, which bones did u break? I broke the head off my radius bone 2 weeks ago, in a cast for 6 weeks. (typing is very hard) How come the doc only gave u 3 weeks? :think: :)

Last year I dislocated the lunate bone in my left wrist. I bought the 661 brace and wore it for a while, but eventually opted to use athletic tape. I felt tape gave my wrist more support and was less cumbersome than the brace.

Looks like I should invest in 3M.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I've had several broken wrists, biggins style, and don't use a brace. I find it's best to let the wrist naturally heal, followed by PT and riding. Once you start relying on braces/taping your wrist will not be as strong and will require always wearing the support. Take the time to heal correctly and you won't need that crap.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dan-o said:
I've had several broken wrists, biggins style, and don't use a brace. I find it's best to let the wrist naturally heal, followed by PT and riding. Once you start relying on braces/taping your wrist will not be as strong and will require always wearing the support. Take the time to heal correctly and you won't need that crap.
Although this is true in most cases, it's not true in all cases. I'm one of those examples where the damage to my wrist and hand was so extensive that it will never just heal right again. If I want to keep riding, it's going to have to be in a brace. I shattered the scaphoid (they stopped counting at 10 pieces), sheared the head off the radius, displaces the entire row of proximal carpals, broke the cartilage joint between the radius and ulna, and severed every liagament and tendon connecting my hand to my wrist. Because of the extensive soft tissue damage, a brace is going to be necessary to support my hand while riding. (I've got more metal in my arm than the terminator). My primary orthopedic surgeon is going to have a custom brace made for me, and my insurance is going to cover it. It's an Allsport Dynamics HXT Extaflex (http://www.allsportdynamics.com/allsportdynamics.htm). I also ride Moto and the company is confident that they can mold a custom brace that will work both with a twist throttle on my dirt bike, and still be able to grip a mtn bar and reach the shifters. I've also spoken with a couple of the sponsored riders listed on their site and they are all very happy with their braces and how well the company can tailor one to your exact needs. This is a little more than most people need or can afford without insurance, but the company does make an off the shelf model that works well for people who don't have insurance but still need a rigid bracing system.

Not that this brace is necessary in this particular situation, but I just want to get some info out there about it. When I first started investigating wrist braces, I quickly found that there really isn't much available for the types of sports we do, and only a few companies that do custom work. I searched every mountain bike forum and didn't find much. The information is very hard to find, so this being a wrist brace thread, I thought it would be a good place to make some info available on a really cool product I was introduced to. I'll be sure to give a full review once I get it, which won't be until after the first of the year. But, I might get my cast off this week! I just have to pass one more bone scan!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
dan-o said:
I agree with you on the relying on the support deal, but a brace also offers you protection.
At the last race of the season, I landed on my wrist again, and knew that I rebroke it. It was all bruised up. But the x-rays showed I only bruised it, and the reason why was because my brace kept my hand from bending back far enough to break a bone. I thought I toasted my scaphoid again and was preparing to spend another 3 months in a cast. So yeah, my $15 wrist brace hooked me up, so I do need that crap. :)

What I do is do all my trailriding with no brace on. This has really helped build the strength back up in my hand. And then I wear the brace for DH racing or tough shuttle runs etc...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Good points DH Diva. My comments were more generalized based on my experiences and input I've gotten from doctors/trainers etc. In your case, with the carnage you inflicted, it sounds like you need the brace to merely function correctly. I was lucky in that, though mechanically and visually tweaked, my most recent wrist actually healed in a way that makes it stronger in big hit situations. I can't fully turn it over to accept change at a drive through but I'll take riding over a big mac any day!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Jeremy, do you use the other 661 (non thumb) that you mentioned above? Any issues with motion for riding situations (rotation, grip etc)?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dan-o said:
I can't fully turn it over to accept change at a drive through but I'll take riding over a big mac any day!
I am halfway to being able to turn my hand over in that direction!!! I think as soon as the cast is off, it will loosen up quite a bit. When I first got my full arm cast off and got into the forarm cast, I could only rotate my forarm about 15 degrees total. Now I can almost put my palm down on a table flat, and am half way there in the opposite direction!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
dan-o said:
Jeremy, do you use the other 661 (non thumb) that you mentioned above? Any issues with motion for riding situations (rotation, grip etc)?
Yeah, I actually have an old EVS one that is identical to that other 661 brace.
I honestly never know that I have it on, it just sits at the back of your hand/wrist, and it seems to be effective.
I also have the 661 brace that was pictured, and I could not ride in it if I had to. It has a hard plastic piece that actually sits on your palm. :dead:
Its good for lifting weights etc... while you are healing from an injury, but that is about it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i just rode with mine for a couple of weeks now i am letting the stabilizer muscles do their job and start getting strong. i havent worn the barce in a long time. i just wore for the interim.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
W4S said:
Just curious, which bones did u break? I broke the head off my radius bone 2 weeks ago, in a cast for 6 weeks. (typing is very hard) How come the doc only gave u 3 weeks? :think: :)

Last year I dislocated the lunate bone in my left wrist. I bought the 661 brace and wore it for a while, but eventually opted to use athletic tape. I felt tape gave my wrist more support and was less cumbersome than the brace.

Looks like I should invest in 3M.
I chipped a piece off my radius and fractured my ulna. Looks like I will get the heavier duty 661 support, as well as trying the ducktape thing.

Trailhead

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I use the EVS WB01 guards, which differ from the pictured 661 guards in that they just go around the wrist and not over the palm, and prevent hyperextending with two foam "plates" behind the wrist. In all my years of crashing and f'ing up my wrists, I've tried the 661's (not enough hyperextension protection) and rollerblade type guards (good protection but waaay too bulky with your hands on the bars), and have found these to offer the best protection without being too bulky. Lemme know if you have any more ?'s. Hope this helps.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Trailhead said:
I use the EVS WB01 guards, which differ from the pictured 661 guards in that they just go around the wrist and not over the palm, and prevent hyperextending with two foam "plates" behind the wrist. In all my years of crashing and f'ing up my wrists, I've tried the 661's (not enough hyperextension protection) and rollerblade type guards (good protection but waaay too bulky with your hands on the bars), and have found these to offer the best protection without being too bulky. Lemme know if you have any more ?'s. Hope this helps.
Awesome. Thanks for the hlep bro.

Trailhead

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Sacramento, CA
The Kadvang said:
Next question: anyone think wearing a brace on my good wrist is worth it as a preventative measure?
I always use my wrist guards, and luckily my wrists have healed from my previous injuries, so I guess that means I use them preventatively. To me they're as important as my helmet since 1)I crash a lot and 2)I have a bad tendancy to stick out my arms and f-up my wrists in most falls. I know that's not what you're supposed to do but crashes happen so fast, it's just my reflexive reaction.

Cammo1971

Chimp
Jul 22, 2014
All i can say is be careful with wrists, prevention is better than a cure and i cant emphasise strongly enough that if you do injure a wrist get it checked. My arm is in plaster due to a broken scaphoid, i thought it was a sprain and kept using it however could be up for some long term rehab. If you want to know more google it as there can be major complications with this bone. Of all the bones in your body this is one of the bones you dont want to break as they are very slow to heal

Don't underestimate the damage you can do. Whether its duct tape or a wrist brace im sitting here now wishing i had have had something to support my wrist