Quantcast

wrist wraps/guards/supports

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Recovering from a broken wrist at the moment, wondered if anyone could recommend some form of decent wrist protection/support for when i start riding again.
I've looked at the 661 ones and wondered if anyone had any experience of the different models.
One thing that strikes me as odd is that the top of the range model doesn't seem to have a thumb loop or cover the hand - i can't see how it stays in place - any ideas/thoughts....???

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
I wouldn't recomend any of the 661 wrist wraps for what your recovering from, to steady a broken wrist (or recovering one) you need a brace that will hold your thumb in place as well as your wrist. the wrap I used was something I got from my doctor so I wouldnt know where to recomend one but I tried out a 661 wrap for a couple days and it didnt do a damn thing, nothing against 661 but those are not made to brace a healing wrist

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
A buddy of mine hooked me up with some FOX gloves that have an included wrist-wrap-around/velcro section. Very cool. They were better than actual wrist braces, because I could still ride, but the wrist was stabilized...

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I'll second those Fox gloves.. they designed them for Wessel and while they don't look like much they work...
I will 3rd them!

I broke my wrist in seven places and each break was compound.... thumb socket and all the small bones were smashed as well as my forearm was snapped.

The fox gloves really work and I can even ride rigid again with them.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I will 3rd them!

I broke my wrist in seven places and each break was compound.... thumb socket and all the small bones were smashed as well as my forearm was snapped.

I was there the night you did that.. and I am glad as hell I didn't see it.. I just Remember Sean talking about it...

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I was there the night you did that.. and I am glad as hell I didn't see it.. I just Remember Sean talking about it...
Yup I was following Sean through the outer jump line and he was hitting the big hip jump when I wrecked. Sean was riding that brown BMW park bike with arrow tires and rims. That was 2004 I believe?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i broke my wrist racing bmx in november, got the cast off in mid january and i've been using the 661 wrist wrap pro off an on since.
http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=67b1cde2-aea4-463b-875d-dd5edaa80800&product=afa1c545-5ac9-4c66-8989-cc61f0eeda77
it gives me just enough support to hold it in place while allowing me to rebuild the strength so i don't need it anymore.
i haven't used it since february...until last week when i got a little aggressive jumping down to fast on some burpees and tweeked it. now i'm back wearing it until the pain resides. :(
i'll have to give those fox gloves a try...they look promising.

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Which model fox gloves are they? I looked through their online catalog and didn't come up with much for a glove with wrist support. I too broke my wrist over the winter and am still recovering and would love to have that added support for when I am able to ride again.

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Cheers for all the responses guys.
Sounds like these Fox gloves are the ones to go for, anyone know where i can buy them from in the UK?

I will 3rd them!

Good to hear your back riding again. Mine was also a pretty nasty break & i was naive enough to think it would be good to ride on a few days after the cast came off.....it's been 10 days and it still feels fragile as ****!

Gonna be at least another couple of weeks till i venture tentatively out on the 20".......

Would be interested to hear others experience recovering and getting back to strength....

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Would be interested to hear others experience recovering and getting back to strength....
Hey man,

Sorry to hear about the break. I broke my scaphoid in Late February and got surgery in the beginning of March. I was in a cast for a month and am now doing physical therapy. I am not allowed to ride until June because the bone has to heal around the screw. Did you have surgery or just in a cast for a while? If you had surgery, my advice is to not ride until it shows fully healed in the x-rays. It may feel perfectly fine, but that doesn't mean the bone is completely healed. It can re-break very easily if its not fully healed.

Hope that helped