Quantcast

Wrong size bike?

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Well, I broke down and ordered a 20" so I can get back into DJing and what do you know......I grew a little in the last 10 years! I got a DK General Lee, put it together, got on it, and wow does it feel small. It has a 20" top tube and 6.5" rise bars on it.

I am 6'3" so I need something a little bigger. My question is, will a 20.75 or even a 21" top tube make that big of a difference? What are my options? If I sell the DK, what should I get that will fit me?

Thanks!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
for your height, DJ is best on a 24" or 26" ! get a good XL frame and go big. i rode 20" for 20 years and even though i love it still, i'm done with it. it doesn't work for a big guy unless you're an amazing huncher--and there are def a few, like chris doyle. 24" and 26" mtbmx is straight up better.

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
haha, I used to ride with Chris Doyle back in the day. He lived right down the road from me.

I don't know if I can deal with 24" or not. Maybe I can find a shop that has a bike with a 21" top tube and try it out first. I'd hate to build one and not like it. I'm already out $240 on the DK (minus what I sell it for).

Anyone taller and riding 20" still?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
20 inch top tube is SMALL. 21 would make a big difference was well as large bars and spacers under your stem.

check dans comp for frames on sale if you want to save money...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
macneil deuce deuce, lumberjacks, etc, etc

The bars change how big a bike feels more than TT.
true true. i've got a macneil deuce deuce for sale. 8.25" rise T1 Paul B. ooB bars. yes it's awesome. the most comfortable 20" i've ever had by far.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
you need a longer frame for sure. a 24/26" wheeled frame would definitely fit you better, but will also be much more expensive. for a quick price reference, 600 bucks in the BMX world buys you a good complete, where as 600 in the Big Wheel world can barely get you on a bike. if price is an issue and you can deal with a smaller bike, just stick with BMX.

a longer TT will make a huge difference. even 20.75 will feel much longer, but i'd say go with something at least 21.25 or more. as people have said, look into a macneil deuce deuce. as far as bars go. bigger bars feel better IMO for taller guys and make pulling up easier. but, they can also make a frame feel shorter believe it or not if you compare them to shorter bars running them at the same position. it's not something that would ever keep me from buying big bars, but it's something to know.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
you need a longer frame for sure. a 24/26" wheeled frame would definitely fit you better, but will also be much more expensive. for a quick price reference, 600 bucks in the BMX world buys you a good complete, where as 600 in the Big Wheel world can barely get you on a bike. if price is an issue and you can deal with a smaller bike, just stick with BMX.

that's basically right, although i gotta say the DK Xenia is awesome for the price (retail $650). i've been riding one for the last 2 years (except for recent upgrade) and it's been incredible. honestly one of my best bike purchases ever. even the fork, Marz Dirt Jam Pro some people complain about, i did a few adjustments like heavy weight oil and internal rebound adjust, and it's been rad. here's one for $400 COMPLETE in houston:
http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/632687624.html

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If you want to stick with 20" wheels any modern frame with a 21" tt will work for you. I am 6' 2" and I just got an 20 7/8" FBM Autopilot. I love it. Slap some Lumberjack bars on there and you are good to go.

Shop around. I got the FBM for $129 new at Alfred E. Bike. My friend rides a Standard and that frame is great. Longer back end than the FBM and a bit expensive but I doubt he will buy another frame for a long time.

Check out the Hoffman/Sidewall Dist site (http://www.shopsidewalldistro.com/home.php?cat=296). They have a bunch of nice frames for sale. You can get a 21.25 or 21 Hoffman Rhythm for $75.

I tried a 24 and a 26. They were fun but for me it just did not compare to the feeling of a 20.

Good luck.

J

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
maaaan im 6'3" and i quickly retired my bmx after getting a DJ hardtail. I recommend you do the same unless you like the back pain and looking like a big bear on a bicycle.

Most hardtails feel very very similar to bmx bikes anyway. Just a grown up version