Quantcast

WWU September Race Gets the "No Go" by DNR

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Just received the official letter from the DNR today. The event we had planned on hosting in September is officially cancelled.

Dear Mr.

I have received your request for a mountain bike event permit covering State Land in the North Fork Area of Whatcom County. The Department of Natural Resources is not issuing any event permits for State Land in that area. We are faced with a very real possibility of having to limit all off-road public use in the area due to environmental impacts. In your application letter you indicate your recognition of the "fragile environmental state of the area" and therefore I am sure you will understand our positin and our desire to limit resource impacts.
I would suggest that you contact the Whatcom County Parks Department and or Larrabee State Park and explore the use of authorized mountain bike trails identified in the Chuckanut Mountain Trails Master Plan. Many of the trails in the plan are identified and maintained as mountain bike trails and therefore the area should withstand the "as close to zero as possible" impacts of your event.

Good luck finding a place for your event. If you have any questions concerning public use of state land, please feel free to contact me at stan.kurowksi@wadnr.gov or 360-856-3500

Sincerely,
Stan Kurowski
Uplands Business Operations Manager

:( too bad thats the only place that could handle an event like that in Whatcom County.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
just got thinking about it, kinda pisses me off that if they knew all along that they werent issuing permits to that area that they didnt tell us in the first place. We have been working on this for over 4 months now and they have led us on the whole time.

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
gotta love the cocksuckers at the DNR. let the loggers clear cut the crap out of the area, pocket the money, and the feign concern over environmental impacts. those guys are even worse then the forest service :mad:

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Thats a real bummer.Have you looked into Walker Valley ORV? There are roads to shuttle on,altough a little round about, and some of the downhill moto trails you can flat rip on.I've been recreating up there since 1980 (MTB,moto and jeeps)and can think of a couple trails that would probably work.Just a thought,good luck.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by jeepmauler
Thats a real bummer.Have you looked into Walker Valley ORV? There are roads to shuttle on,altough a little round about, and some of the downhill moto trails you can flat rip on.I've been recreating up there since 1980 (MTB,moto and jeeps)and can think of a couple trails that would probably work.Just a thought,good luck.
Hadn't thought about it for some stupid reason, only place I could think of other than here was the Reiter pit but thats way the heck away.
Is there a large area near any of the trails to park a butt load of cars and stage? If you've got ideas, maybe I can get a crew to come down on Sunday? If we can find a place we have to do it in the next 2-3 weeks so we can get a permit and get the rest of the stuff figured out.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I fired off an email to the DNR to ask if there is ANY possibility of us getting an event permit for that location before we look too heavily into it, but I know the potential of that area, although havent been there in probably 5 years, its definently an option, cross your fingers the DNR is nice to us!

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
The main parking lot is fairly large,with lots of parking along the Peter Burns road in and out of the main lot.I'd be willing to show you around,but I WORK ALOT!!My next days off are Memorial weekend.I'm sure some of the locals from the Mt. Vernon shops are pretty familiar with the trail system up there and could help you.IF YOU CAN'T FIND A GUIDE,LET ME KNOW AND I'LL FIND TIME TO COME UP AND SHOW YOU AROUND(it'll be in my jeep,me no xc no mo:D )I'm sure you are familiar with the DNR office in Sedro Wooley,contact them and start the ball rolling.Christ Thompson used to be in charge but I think he got replaced by a younger guy who seems ok(worked with him on jeep trails) Hope this works for you and the DH peeps.W.V. hosts all kinds of Moto and trials events so this should be no problem.Fingers crossed!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Initially we were working with Christ but the latest contact was witn Stan, either way hopefully someone helps us out! Thanks for the idea.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by roscifer
Did bobby mention anything to you yet about the glacier trails? If not, ask him :D
he did but I know nothing about them and I asked him to look into it but I dont know if it will get done in time. I need to get the land secured in the next 2 weeks otherwise we wont have time to get crap squared away. Do you know who to contact? email address?