Quantcast

/X\(‘-‘)/X\ Tues GM(Spider)T /X\(‘-‘)/X\

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Have been considering a backpack Guitar. Martin & Co. make something great and Washburn has a closer to traditional model - the Rover.
The biggest problem with them is they are not a balanced instrument. It's like making contact with a baseball close to the tape, even playing seated and the guitar resting properly (nearly everyone plays on the 'improper' leg)
Are alot of fun to have when the need strikes to plunk out a few notes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've got emails to review from the weekend, but I also have to poop. The poop wins this (and every) round.

Ugh this work stuff sucks. Can I win the lottery this week please?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin.

One of those days you wake up and things immediately become frustrating. Battling some sort of epic hornet infestation in my backyard. Gone through 3 cans of spray in the past few days and have a confirmed body count of over 100 thus far.

Of course one of my dogs is a fucking asshole and cannot possibly leave anything alone. He has already started to dig up the area I just filled in for the sprinkler system.

Said FTS walking out of the house and grabbed my bike. I must ride.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Did the gross decon of the truck and camper last night. I spent two hours with hot water ,soap, and a scrub brush removing the million or so bug carcases from the front end. Tonight I will attack the deeply embedded stuff with goo off and then some denatured alcohol to clean up the discolorations.

My coffee seems to be dissolving my mug this morning...I like it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mornin.

One of those days you wake up and things immediately become frustrating. Battling some sort of epic hornet infestation in my backyard. Gone through 3 cans of spray in the past few days and have a confirmed body count of over 100 thus far.
It's been a "good" year for hornets, that's for sure. We currently have a nest of yellow jackets under the concrete slab that the hot tub sits on. I've been waging a slow war or attrition on them with Delta Dust. I think I'm... winning?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! The weather in Montana is mild this this week with temps in the mid to high 80s and a steady breeze to keep you from overheating. That makes afternoon rides quite nice. I don't have dork tracker but... today's ride will make 9 rides in 7 days for just under 15 hours pedaling around and grinning like an idiot. I'be stopped using a pack because the heat they trap makes makes me dehydrate pretty fast, I can do 90 minutes in the low 90s with just 1 water bottle. This makes getting out everyday easy. :)

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

From today as well. Are riding fanny packs a thing now?
Yes, I have 2 lumbar packs that I used for trail running, if I ever run again I'll use them again. I also recently bought a saddle pouch for the trail bikes, it holds a tube, pump and multi tool and keeps me from having to lug a backpack in 90 degree heat.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Back from Crested Butte, and I survived... I think. Three pretty big rides in three days, I'm cooked. Gonna take a day off, then ride Wednesday and Thursday. Travel Friday then riding Silverton to Durango on the Colorado Trail Saturday and Sunday.

HDR anyone?

Disclaimer: this next bit will make no sense to non-CO monkies, and maybe not even a lot of sense to them.

@SkaredShtles while I didn't do the Star Pass / Hunter's loop we chatted about I did finally tick off Eccher Gulch... by way of Old Italian Creek Road to the Italian Connector #648 (Frank used to call it 'XX' trail), Bear Creek, a bit of Deadman's, the up Rosebud to Cement Mountain, and Roaring Judy. Then got a 409 - 409.5 - Strand loop the next day. Then Reno/Bear/Flag/Doctor's on day 3. SHAZAM.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
back in the salt pit after two weeks off. wife is off to montreal with my oldest kid. I'm very jealous.

This photo captures the essence of my holiday.
Lac Ste Marie 2016.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
@SkaredShtles while I didn't do the Star Pass / Hunter's loop we chatted about I did finally tick off Eccher Gulch... by way of Old Italian Creek Road to the Italian Connector #648 (Frank used to call it 'XX' trail), Bear Creek, a bit of Deadman's, the up Rosebud to Cement Mountain, and Roaring Judy. Then got a 409 - 409.5 - Strand loop the next day. Then Reno/Bear/Flag/Doctor's on day 3. SHAZAM.
That Eccher ride you did is a long'un! Was the exit as bad/difficult as advertised? That's the only part that I was a little questionable on...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That Eccher ride you did is a long'un!
Not *quite* as long as Jarosa-Cataract-Pole, but this is the first ride I've been on since then that made me feel like we felt after that one. Fuggin' shelled, man.

Was the exit as bad/difficult as advertised? That's the only part that I was a little questionable on...
We missed it then found it in fairly short order. The GPS route on the MTB Project app is spot on, when you start getting towards the bottom of Eccher just wHip out your phone and make your blue dot line up with the dotted line.

Also of note, from the high point of Cement Mountain down Roaring Judy is a friggin' hoot and a half. RJ is STEEEEEEEEP and super narrow. Like, 5" wide fall line singletrack through the aspens. Would bang again. Might I suggest parking at Deadman's TH, climb up Deadman's to Cement Mountain, and taking that to Roaring Judy to Eccher then pedaling flat road back to your car as a (you know) 'loop' ride.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Today is Friday! Second short week in a row. This will continue until the end of the month and I could get used to it. Days will be spent studying though. I need to get myself ready for my exam. Ugh. But it's Friday!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Back from Crested Butte, and I survived... I think. Three pretty big rides in three days, I'm cooked. Gonna take a day off, then ride Wednesday and Thursday. Travel Friday then riding Silverton to Durango on the Colorado Trail Saturday and Sunday.

HDR anyone?

Disclaimer: this next bit will make no sense to non-CO monkies, and maybe not even a lot of sense to them.

Meh...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Not *quite* as long as Jarosa-Cataract-Pole, but this is the first ride I've been on since then that made me feel like we felt after that one. Fuggin' shelled, man.

We missed it then found it in fairly short order. The GPS route on the MTB Project app is spot on, when you start getting towards the bottom of Eccher just wHip out your phone and make your blue dot line up with the dotted line.

Also of note, from the high point of Cement Mountain down Roaring Judy is a friggin' hoot and a half. RJ is STEEEEEEEEP and super narrow. Like, 5" wide fall line singletrack through the aspens. Would bang again. Might I suggest parking at Deadman's TH, climb up Deadman's to Cement Mountain, and taking that to Roaring Judy to Eccher then pedaling flat road back to your car as a (you know) 'loop' ride.
Eccher will be done next time I'm in that valley. With Cement Mountain and whatever other shenanigans are deemed worthy to get there. Frank has always spoken highly of the RJ/Eccher stuff.

Loop ride - you're funny. I'll shuttle it. :homer:

Italian to 648 sounds... interesting: "This ride replaces the Flag Creek downhill with a high-altitude, steep, and rutted out moto trail."

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Consuming coffee and a PB&J, then driving down to the Hudson Valley so H can get a bunch of crap from her parent's house that we can't fit into ours.
I sense an ongoing theme of "H has too much crap".

Yes, I have 2 lumbar packs that I used for trail running, if I ever run again I'll use them again. I also recently bought a saddle pouch for the trail bikes, it holds a tube, pump and multi tool and keeps me from having to lug a backpack in 90 degree heat.
Water bottles are what, 32 oz? I know jbp is a fan of the "don't drink anything unless you're parched" school but I easily go through 80 oz on a 2.5-3 hour ride.

back in the salt pit after two weeks off. wife is off to montreal with my oldest kid. I'm very jealous.

This photo captures the essence of my holiday.
View attachment 123012
Cool vintage photo. Alternately, congrats on the potato-cam if that's a modern one. :D

I rode in today. Didn't feel like pushing it. Tuesday == pancreatic conference as usual. Only deviation from the routine is that I'm snacking on dried, seasoned squid because Japanese.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Car is supposed to be done today, but at 4 yesterday they still hadn't gotten it apart yet, so I'm not real confident with that estimate. Found out they are charging me extra because I brought my own parts (I was told it was the same price when I scheduled the work, so we will have words).

Next is to locate free parking not to far from a Biketown rack so I can save $200ish a month on parking.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Cool vintage photo. Alternately, congrats on the potato-cam if that's a modern one. :D
this comment is funny for many reasons. It was shot with a D7000. it's my wife's. she won't let me use it, but at the same time, she won't learn how to use it properly. When she got it, I was totally into learning how to use it, and really wanted to get into photography. but she quickly kiboshed that. I got her books, and even offered to sign her up for lessons (for Christmas or birthday presents), but I guess raising two young kids kinda eats into her free time. so for now she's still using it fully auto.... oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Still, the photo captures the essence of the moment for me though, and I think that's what counts!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Eccher will be done next time I'm in that valley. With Cement Mountain and whatever other shenanigans are deemed worthy to get there. Frank has always spoken highly of the RJ/Eccher stuff.

Loop ride - you're funny. I'll shuttle it. :homer:

Italian to 648 sounds... interesting: "This ride replaces the Flag Creek downhill with a high-altitude, steep, and rutted out moto trail."
You might as well just follow our route... then you get both 648 and Cement/Judy/Eccher. And Bear in the middle, which is a pretty fun bit of trail in it's own right.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got out of work 45 minutes early as a nice surprise. (I'm salaried so that happening depends on the vagaries of what comes in the door + kindness of co-workers.) As opposed to me feeling like a sloth this morning I felt good on the ride home and hammered away, at least by my own internal pace standard. :D

15.9 mph @ 131 bpm for me is pretty good (half of the ride being on dirt or gravel).