Quantcast

X Games.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
So on ESPN2 right now they are doing some sort of skateboarding big air contest, and I must say it's the most ridiculous ramp I've ever seen. It is cartoonishly large. All I can think about is how bad I want to ride my bike down it.

Apparently they have done this for a few years, but its new to me.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I watched, it didn't really interest me too long. All the runs looked the same. No tricking. Oh, that one guy crashed that sucked. I would have rather seen style than the air.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched one rider in Freestyle MX, and the announcers kept mentioning how he was not sponsored and this is his first comp.

This rider then attempts a double backflip, underrotates, face plants hard and then his bike hits him.

First thing I said was "not surprised". I hate about these extreme shows is all the hype.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
that skater is a beast. i dont understand how you fall 50 feet to flat and get up and walk away. props

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I couldnt even imagine how scared he was when he lost his board and realized just how high up he was. That's some scary sh!te right there.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
So on ESPN2 right now they are doing some sort of skateboarding big air contest, and I must say it's the most ridiculous ramp I've ever seen. It is cartoonishly large. All I can think about is how bad I want to ride my bike down it.

Apparently they have done this for a few years, but its new to me.

We watched some freestyle BMX off that ramp the other night on the tube...geezus...70 foot gap while doing a backflip! It was "somewhat" reassuring that many of the riders were wearing DH body armor.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
it kinda looked like he meant to fall the way he did......these guys do seem to have mastered the art of falling by this time in their career.....impressive i must say

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Check out this freeze frame from the vid. He's doubled over to the point of his head almost hitting his stomach. How he walked away is beyond me.

Attachments

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
along with a bruised kidney, fractured vertebrae, and whiplash.
The whiplash he did have (obviously :)) but it was later determined that his kidney was fine, and the vertebral fracture showing up on scans was from a previous crash. They mentioned all this in some 'X UPDATE' during the supermoto race.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
No, no they don't.
I honestly think there should be. Don't you realize what that would do for our sport? We as DH/FR's would gain so much more respect, and not thought as Lycra wearing dudes. Then the amount of money that would be put towards the riders and events. It would do excellent things for the sport.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
all you need to do is convince pastrana to do slopestyle and espn would be all over it. im pretty sure theyd put knitting in the x games is pastrana was doing it.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I honestly think there should be. Don't you realize what that would do for our sport?
Yeah! It'd get us major sponsors and force riders to do ridiculously big, sketchy, dangerous, and not fun jumps complete with commercial breaks and useless commentary.

Seriously though, it would be awesome to have some more sponsors and coverage for our sport, but the X-games is such a corporate joke these days. I ride for me and my friends, not for Target and Gillette.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
x-games are becoming a roman circus... i kinda liked them back when a one bmx backflip was good and daring enough to put you on the map.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
x-games are becoming a roman circus...
I agree, it has become some kind of 'crashfest'.
The harder and brutal the crash the better...don't like it at all.
I prefer "Whoa how did he pull that one so clean"
instead of "Oh God that guy is going to kill himself"

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Yeah! It'd get us major sponsors and force riders to do ridiculously big, sketchy, dangerous, and not fun jumps complete with commercial breaks and useless commentary.

Seriously though, it would be awesome to have some more sponsors and coverage for our sport, but the X-games is such a corporate joke these days. I ride for me and my friends, not for Target and Gillette.
Touche. That is a good point. I still feel that we need some sort of largely publicized event. It would do all the great things for the sport that I listed, without having the "circus" like event that the X-Games puts on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Touche. That is a good point. I still feel that we need some sort of largely publicized event. It would do all the great things for the sport that I listed, without having the "circus" like event that the X-Games puts on.
Why not just have ESPN cover Crankworks or something? There are a lot of events that exist, they just don't have live coverage on ESPN 8.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Stunts in the x-games have to get bigger, it's all about showmanship. Some people in the crowd want to see the most technical thing you can throw, other people want to see the huge air. More people want to see the huge air than want to see the technical tricks. There are only so many combinations of things you can do in the air before 'normal' folks don't really care about what the blury spinny thing that just launched off a ramp is doing.

Evel Knievel did one thing, jump over stuff, and people loved him for it. Your average 15 year old skater kid does some really neat tricks after school in the parking lot and no one cares (except for the cops).

"The public gets what they deserve not what they demand. Unless we all decided to be a business not a band." The x-games is business.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
It only takes 30 seconds of watching the x games to see how the energy drink companies have taken over. X games is total buisness and nothing else.

Do the companies of the represented industries even care? It is all out of industry sponsors you see plastered everywhere.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
after watching some of the footage, i have come to the conclusion that the x games are bastardizing rally. that big gap they had in the course is flat out retarded. there's also the fact that they don't have any really big names from rally, aside from mcrae, participating.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
there's also the fact that they don't have any really big names from rally, aside from mcrae, participating.
True they do not have any big name world rally drivers. They did have 9 of the top ten U.S. Rally Championsip drivers. The championship is what they used for qualifing for the X games.

True the big jump was over the top. The did not bastardize the sport. The commentators even mentioned several times this is not like a real rally. They were good enough to call it a super special stage something that could be seen as part of a normal rally. The super special stages of the WRC are similar just without the huge jump.

they also mention that they were not the ones running the rally event, that it was the north america rally organizational body that was running it. i remember one of the things they were regulating were the tires that were being run, as well as the neck braces/restraints that were requited, that they are requiring next year