Quantcast

X-post from another forum regarding saftey of krypto locks....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
oly said:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128&page=1&pp=25

Watch vids. Makes ya think twice about the saftey of your bike.......
Yeah, that's pretty f*cked up...saw this posted on another forum (name witheld to protect the "innocent").
It's amazing how one of the most prestigious locks can be compromised by a cheap as hell disposable pen, huh?
One guy spent over $100 on one of those huge chain link ones w/ a lock that has the round keyhole (which are the ones that can be jacked).
I forget the dollar amts., but it would be wise to contact Kryptonite if you have one of those style keyholes and get insurance - it's worth the $10-30 it costs to insure your $$$ rigs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
No lock is better than an attentive line of vision and doubled up fist.

i've always been wary of using locks because you get a false sense of security, but that's just insane......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Skookum said:
No lock is better than an attentive line of vision and doubled up fist.

i've always been wary of using locks because you get a false sense of security, but that's just insane......
Ive used that one, and when i had avid cable brakes i dialed in the pads so the wheels couldnt move so they couldnt get on it and go.... cuz i only run for free pizza.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
oly said:
Ive used that one, and when i had avid cable brakes i dialed in the pads so the wheels couldnt move so they couldnt get on it and go.... cuz i only run for free pizza.
I run faster!:D
Good idea w/ the brake cinching. I have hydraulic brakes, so can't really cinch pads. In that situation, one thing that you can do is to drop the chain waaaaaay down the cassette and into the biggest ring possible up front. If not just pop the chain off the chainring altogether. By the time the theif could figure out wtf is going on down there, he'd have one po'd mtb'er doing some serious damage to them.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Langer said:
This story is now being reported by the associated press. I saw it in the Seattle times and the King County Journal(front page).

http://kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/173488
It's on ANY biking bb you look up, newspapers globally and God only knows where else.
Needless to say, I would not trust your lock beyond your eyesight if you own one of them (I have 2):mad:
I am hoping that Krypto is going to at least offer the newer style locks at a discount to those of us sitting on these P.O.S. locks. At this point, I may as well use dental floss to lock my bike up.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is why you should always you two types of locks when you are in an especially high theft are. For example, a u-lock and a cable. Theives rarely carry multiple types of tools.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
buildyourown said:
This is why you should always you two types of locks when you are in an especially high theft are. For example, a u-lock and a cable. Theives rarely carry multiple types of tools.
That looks good on paper, but since one of the tools required is a mere ball-point pen I would hardly qualify that as having to carry an extra tool.;)

Hmmmmm...how do you know about them not carrying multiple tools?? :think:

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
:eek: Crap-a-munga! I use cable locks and never lock my bike where I can't see it. Dang though, that's amazing! I'll have to warn people buying locks from us from now on! I can't believe there hasn't been a huge recall of these types of locks. I can think of a thousand other locks which have that circular style interface. Some of them are DOORS........ :dead: :nope:

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Captain Crunch said:
I can think of a thousand other locks which have that circular style interface. Some of them are DOORS........ :dead: :nope:
and payphones
and parking meteres
and pop machines
and...i'm going to be rich in quarters!