Quantcast

X-post from DH forum: Enduro SL fork and shock help: tuning tips/suggestions?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I bought an Enduro SL Expert about two months ago and I've been trying to get the suspension dialed for a while now, but to no avail. I've been riding it a lot lately on trails with long, relatively rocky climbs that lead to steep, rough descents.

*Let me preface this thread by saying that buying new suspension components is NOT an option, so please don't tell me to replace my fork/shock or tell me that I'm an idiot for buying a bike with Specialized suspension components.*

The problems I'm having:

When I set the air pressure in the fork so that the small bump sensitivity is to my liking (with the compression adjuster backed all the way out), the fork bottoms really easily. When I put enough air in the fork to keep it from bottoming, the small bump sensitivity goes to shlt and my hands hurt like crazy after any downhills. And FWIW, the compression adjuster only adjusts low-speed compression, so it has no effect on the bottoming of the fork.

My upper fork crown creaks. A lot. I've disassembled it, greased all the bolts, lightly greased the inside of the stanchion clamps, and torqued all the bolts to spec (50 in-lb). This fixes the problem, but only for a little bit. After a few hours of riding, the creaking comes right back. (I've greased the handlebar/stem interface too, but that's not the source of the creaking.) Any ideas?

The rear shock seems to be a piece of poop. Specialized recommends 180 psi for my body weight, which makes the shock WAY too firm (regardless of the compression setting), preventing me from getting full travel. When I put 175 psi in the shock, however, it's too soft and bobs a fair amount when climbing (even in the firm compression setting). I've tried to get surgical with the pressure settings (making adjustments in ~2 psi increments between 175 and 180), but it seems that when I'm at 178 psi, the shock is too firm throughout the entire compression adjustment range, but at 177 psi the shock is softer than I would like. What gives?

And finally, the rear shock squeaks, but only when it's in the firm compression setting (regardless of air pressure). I've tried lubing the seal with Tri Flow, and when that didn't work, I spread some Slick Honey on there, but it didn't help. Does this mean there's some valving inside my shock making noise when it compresses?

I would love to throw a 36 Talas and RP23 on the bike and call it a day, but unfortunately I don't have the money for that, so does anybody have ideas, tips, or suggestions to help remedy these issues? Thanks.