Quantcast

XC bike for the downhiller

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF the game looks like it could be decent but I can't see it being anywhere near as good as the better playstation moto games, even old PS3 ones

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. @sethimus I posted here (somewhere) about Lonely Mountains back when it was released.
Haven't played it in ages.
It got pretty hard pretty quickly. (expert challenges)
how far through it are you?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Its not an "XC" bike, its a trail bike that I've used for XC events. I'm not a serious XC racer obviously (last few years I did events on my old 30lb aluminium Transition Scout) but last year I built up a carbon Smuggler because I'm a Transition fanboy and their SBG Scout was a tank.

For an event I'll chuck clips on if its gonna be longer than a few hours. Buuut, for a 120R/140F bike, this thing is light and efficient enough to make flat trails kinda fun, but at the same time means I don't have to opt out of doing anything fun I discover along the way.

Its also pretty handy for mid week Quarantinnie rides and trail clearing days. The DPS shock is utter junk though and doesn't belong on an off-road vehicle of any sort. Trying to get the funds together for a suspension unit with damping characteristics.

Smuggler.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not that i've thrown a leg on one, as i'm a "one bike for everything" fella, but i've head good reports on the kona process 111 and 135. if i had to get something with less travel, one of those, perhaps. or a trail pistol and run 27.5s... :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
GT Sport is for plebs though. :D
She's 10yrs old

and says she thinks it sounds like you might be trying to compensate for something. :brows:

You're right though. We are plebs. That's just a cheap wheel stand set-up with Logitec G29 wheel and pedals. it's surprisingly solid though. and can be folded away when not playing. I definitely don't play enough to comit to a full high end set up like yours and seeing as I'm still just as quick playing with a controller there'd be about as much point as one of us guys riding a World Cup DH bike...
oh... wait :doh:
I play so infrequently htese days, when I do I struggle to even remember all the tracks/cars/braking points on GT Sport so the jump straight in and arcadeyness suits me better than having to get to grips with more sim style games (like PC2?). The wheel and pedals are a lot of fun tho.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
if i had to get something with less travel, one of those, perhaps. or a trail pistol and run 27.5s...
A week later, you would throw a bigger coil shock and a beefier long fork on it (because extra wheel clearance and moar fun), and the "less travel" idea would fade in the first chunky descent. :D

Ask me how I know. :busted:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
She's 10yrs old

and says she thinks it sounds like you might be trying to compensate for something. :brows:

You're right though. We are plebs. That's just a cheap wheel stand set-up with Logitec G29 wheel and pedals. it's surprisingly solid though. and can be folded away when not playing. I definitely don't play enough to comit to a full high end set up like yours and seeing as I'm still just as quick playing with a controller there'd be about as much point as one of us guys riding a World Cup DH bike...
oh... wait :doh:
I play so infrequently htese days, when I do I struggle to even remember all the tracks/cars/braking points on GT Sport so the jump straight in and arcadeyness suits me better than having to get to grips with more sim style games (like PC2?). The wheel and pedals are a lot of fun tho.
The Logitech is a really good wheel, unless you go for a direct drive wheel the differences arent that big. Especially in a game like GTS, which is perfect for all the reasons you just ga
PC2 Is indeed much more of a sim tho, thats where you notice the difference a bit better.

I have way to much free time because I dont have kids. Besides reading Dostojevski and playing Moonlight Sonata’s 3rd movement I like to just chill sometimes.
@kidwoo is just jealous :D

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Have you guys heard of this new "Gravel Grinding" thing? I bet they make some pretty good XC bikes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's been all uphill in all the right ways since I got a 29er. The other day, I shuttled so that I could ride *UP* the trail without having to ride down.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I thought a Thunder Burt was what happened the next day after I consumed too much chili and beer. Learn something new every day!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
looks nice, aside from the fuck'yo'knees seat tube angle. how is the fork for stiffness?
Yeah, ST angle needs an update (a touch more reach would be nice too) but with the saddle all the way forward its position is as forward as anyone runs. The problem is it moves too far forward when lowered.
The fork stiffness (first gen with lighter, flexier crown) matches the wheelset stiffness (1130 grams!) and tire grip. Basically all the parts have about the same limit so you don't notice a particular weak link. If you try to stuff the bike into a berm it reminds you that you're not on your enduro sled but it also doesn't put you on the ground. It climbs like an ebike, really, I've passed ebikers.
My last 3 XC bikes were trail bikes built down to 23-24lbs, which were awesome for creating gaps on downhills but I lost too much time on climbs. With this I'm still gaining time on the downs but hanging on the climbs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My kids started getting into driving games on the PS4, but instead of going that route I got them RC cars and built a small track in the sideyard when the lockdown hit.

That's cool. Looks like enough space for a neat little pump track.
My youngest has this RC car.

it's a fun little car but the batteries only last 15mins or so.
We don't have a track for it but I live on a farm so there's plenty space to run it when it's not busy.