Quantcast

XC Race Bike - R/F vs XTR, lock-out switches, Schwalbe tires

BigJV

Chimp
May 22, 2002
I am tweaking out my XC race bike and gear and would love any guidance on a few items.

1. Crankset: Torn between RF Next LP ISIS vs standard XTR. Don't care about cost, think RF look more trick, have heard extremely different opions on both, appreciate guidance. I weigh 175 so can't always take the lightest weight parts. Also, remember, XC racing only, no drops, no hucking, but want them to stand up as don't want to have to replace often.

2. Have seen super-trick handlebar mounted lockout switches for SID front fork and Fox Float RL rear shock on many pro racers' bikes this season. Just found out you can order the Fox switch direct with them for $80. Does anyone know where/how to get hands on Rock Shox one? Called RS and they said not at retail til early '03. Want it now.

3. Has anyone ever used Schwalbe Fast Fred tires? They are the lightest UST XC race tire I have seen and tread looks cool. Can only find them ordered direct from Germany. Any ideas?

4. New Pearl Izumi Vapor MTB race shoe. Seems really light and breathable. Fit my foot real well in store. Anybody use these yet? Have any feedback?

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by BigJV
I am tweaking out my XC race bike and gear and would love any guidance on a few items.

1. Crankset: Torn between RF Next LP ISIS vs standard XTR. Don't care about cost, think RF look more trick, have heard extremely different opions on both, appreciate guidance. I weigh 175 so can't always take the lightest weight parts. Also, remember, XC racing only, no drops, no hucking, but want them to stand up as don't want to have to replace often.
This is the only one I can comment on. XTRs are a bit better. Bit stiffer, better rings/shifiting etc. The Raceface are nice cranks, are supposed to be very durable etc. Both are similar in price.

What it comes down to is that the XTR is a slightly better crank, but the Race Face are super trick looking. Can't really go wrong with either.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The XTR cranks are strong enough for DH racing bikes. Next LP are not. XTR will shift better too, especially with an XTR front derailleur (unless you get standard rings on your Next LP also).

On the other hand Next LP have a lifetime warranty so I guess if you ever did ruin them, you don't have anything to worry about.

So I guess if you're not doing anything that would void the warranty, go with the Next LPs. If you are doing small drops, or harder hitting stuff, get the XTRs.

Dude,
The XTR cranks shift much better than the Faceface cranks, but i own the Exact RF cranks that you want, and mine are ISIS. I have never felt a stiffer crank yet, these things are amazing. Both cranks are light, but the RF are much stiffer in my opinion, and only weight around 150, but you can actually feel them pull you along, because they have not as much rotational weight as the XTR's, and feel a little faster. Yes, the RF cranks look badass, and they sure got the backup, full lifetime warrantee on the newer models.
Andi

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

2. Have seen super-trick handlebar mounted lockout switches for SID front fork and Fox Float RL rear shock on many pro racers' bikes this season. Just found out you can order the Fox switch direct with them for $80. Does anyone know where/how to get hands on Rock Shox one? Called RS and they said not at retail til early '03. Want it now.

3. Has anyone ever used Schwalbe Fast Fred tires? They are the lightest UST XC race tire I have seen and tread looks cool. Can only find them ordered direct from Germany. Any ideas?

4. New Pearl Izumi Vapor MTB race shoe. Seems really light and breathable. Fit my foot real well in store. Anybody use these yet? Have any feedback?
the RF cranks are extremely nice, the thing i don't like about the xtr cranks is the big chain ring is expensive as ****. what it would cost you alone for the big chain rin would run you a good bit more then it would cost to throw on 3 new chain rings on an RF crank. also you don't have much choice on what size chain rings you run on an xtr crank. ok on to the handle bar mount lock out. the sid lock out is pretty pretty HB started making them personally for a few riders last year. the lever would be nice, but seriously isn't needed. those tires i haven't heard of, but i'd give them a try if you want to and if you like em stick w/ them. but hutchinson makes awesome tires and the ones they have out for the UST system are awesome. i've been using the phytons for over 4 years now and i love those tires. and if the pearl shoes fit then get em. they look ugly as hell in my opinon, but carbon soled shoes are the only way to fly. i'm loving my pair of 221's ive got right now.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Schwalbe tires are considered to be some of the finest tires to come out of Germany. The Fast Fred 2.0 is recommended by every German MTB magazine as THE tire for XC.

BIKE Magazin rates the Fast Fred 2.0 as "sehr gut" (very good)
Mountain Bike DE rates the Fast Fred (tubeless) as "sehr gut"

I know a few guys that ride them and are pretty satisfied. One complains about his sidewalls being weak, but he runs his tires around 8.5 bar and hits lots of rocks.

Go for it, at least no one else will have the same tires as you! :thumb:

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
If you go with the XTRs, be VERY careful when you mount them. The threads on the bolts must be engaged before the splines and if you're not careful, it's pretty easy to ruin them. I've seen it done and it's not pretty. The ISIS system is much better in this regard and you get the bonus of running compact OR standard size rings. If you go for the XTRs, you might consider the 5-arm variant.

Apr 17, 2002
Santa Cruz, CA
Originally posted by SpasticJack
If you go with the XTRs, be VERY careful when you mount them. The threads on the bolts must be engaged before the splines and if you're not careful, it's pretty easy to ruin them. I've seen it done and it's not pretty. The ISIS system is much better in this regard and you get the bonus of running compact OR standard size rings. If you go for the XTRs, you might consider the 5-arm variant.
The XTR 5 arm cranks are two teeth larger in all rings than a standard XTR 24-34-46. You can get smaller rings, but they do not come with them.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
They sell them with 2 different setups. You can get a 24-36-46 combo on the 5 arms. Then the only larger ring is the middle.

Hmm just checked their site and they might not offer the realistic sized rings anymore. Bastards

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune

Raceface!!!!!

Make your own!!

I hate UST!!!!!

I can't rid clips thanks to a blown knee, so I don't care!