Quantcast

XC race tire?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
What would you guys recommend? In the past I've used Stan's converted Pythons and Kenda Karma DTC's and have suffered punctured sidewalls. Should I go back to tubes? Or use a heavy UST tire? Thanks.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I had the same problems with stans and the Python airlights. I ripped 3 sidewalls in 3 races. I have switched to Continental Explorers/Escapes and haven't had any problems since.

GspotRider

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I like the kenda karma dtc, but they do puncture easier than the Specialized Roll X pros I have. The Roll x has abit more rolling resistance, but it is damn tough and grips very well. Rollx is about 570 vs 470grams for the DTC.

I find the rollx seals very well with stans; thicker casing than the kenda's.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Captain Cogset said:
I had the same problems with stans and the Python airlights. I ripped 3 sidewalls in 3 races. I have switched to Continental Explorers/Escapes and haven't had any problems since.

none of those tires were designed to be used as a tubeless. that's the only real flaw in stans set up, is that is utilizes tires that werent' designed to be ridden as a tubeless set up. those tires are designed with MUCH thinner sidewalls that aren't going to be able to take the proper loads like a tubeless tire will......

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Agreed. I have tried Kenda karma? L3R with Stans. Nice and light but the light casing made me nervous and you needed more air pressure than a real UST tire. But a buddy of mine has torn a couple of Michelin UST tires. Comp s light. Maybe in his rocky area, Whistler, that is too light a tire? I have ripped open one Michelin Comp S and had maybe 4 other punctures with UST tires in 3 seasons.

GspotRider

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Burnaby, BC, Canada
oldfart said:
Agreed. I have tried Kenda karma? L3R with Stans. Nice and light but the light casing made me nervous and you needed more air pressure than a real UST tire. But a buddy of mine has torn a couple of Michelin UST tires. Comp s light. Maybe in his rocky area, Whistler, that is too light a tire? I have ripped open one Michelin Comp S and had maybe 4 other punctures with UST tires in 3 seasons.
I've used kenda karma dtc for over a year: I have had 3 casing punctures with small sticks. At the time I was using 35psi or lower with standard tubes. On xc races, I use stan's notubes conversion and use 35-45psi and have never flatted during a race. I weigh 145lbs. I would not hesitate to use the kenda tires on race day. For training rides...you might have a casing failure...but for race day I just make sure I use a fairly fresh tire without any previous damage.