Quantcast

XC Recommendations in the $2500 range

Sep 26, 2011
Assume I know nothing...which is pretty much the truth. I have my eye on the Superfly 100 AL Elite; seems like a fairly well outfitted bike, and reviews seem strong.

I'm coming off of an '04 Cannondale Jekyll 800...which I would never get rid of, but the Lefty is blown and no one has the parts to repair it. That, and I test rode a Niner (hardtail) this weekend, and I'm pretty much sold on the concept...the 29" concept, not the hardtail concept!

Like I said, I've got about $2500 to play with - thanks in advance.

-EGS

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I ride 29ers exclusively... here's a few suggestions.

(1) I like the value of the spearfish... New 2012 stuff with the black ano looks good too.

(2) Probably can build up a Jet9 for that if you can find a 2011 model on clearance.

(3) Look for 2011 Pivot 429/s on sale for around $1700... might leave enough to make a budget build of one of those.

(4) Santa Cruz Tallboy is now making an alloy version... might be an option.

(5) There's always the Specialized Epic 29er.

Just off the top of my head. Definitely the best value out there is the Spearfish IMHO. $2500 should get you a complete bike with some cash left over.

People out here have been breaking Superfly frames left and right. Great to ride, and they stand by them, but who wants to deal with that?

Last edited: