Quantcast

XC trip to pisgah end of march

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Germantown and Avalon Cycles is trying to get a trip organized for the weekend before Easter. Actually we will be leaving later in the day Friday March 30, and returning Tuesday April 3rd.

For those of you that have not ridden in Pisgah National Park in North Carolina, it is one of the best places on earth. In Brevard, a bit south of Asheville, there is some of the best riding, well I have ever seen. Just outside of town there is a gravel mountain road that runs through a valley along a small stream lined with primitive camping spots. From there, an immense trail system branches out and up into some of the highest mountains on the East coast. It is some of the best singletrack and scenery you will see.

A typical day will consist of waking up later than you have ever woken up in a tent, because you are so exhausted from the previous day. Crawl out of your tent and walk to the other side of the road, where the sun has broken over the mountain to warm you up. Once your temperature is back up, we make some food and go ride. Now I kid you not, expect each ride to start with a minimum one-hour climb. It is so awesome. It will change your perspective on hills. You don't even think about getting to the top. Ride the ridge for a bit, do some descending, climbing, repeat, and cap it off with about a half-hour descent. Return to camp, eat all your food, and drive a couple miles into town to buy more food than you could eat in two weeks at the grocery store. Go back and act like people living in tents for a couple of hours and go to bed around 8:30.

What is not to love? I guarantee a good time.

Now be warned. This trip is not for everyone. A certain level of fitness and experience will be expected. Each rider will be responsible for himself or herself. But at the same time it will not be a fest for hammerheads. All are welcome.

The tentative plan is to leave that Friday from Germantown Cycles, drive until it seems like a good time to find a hotel. We will work around everyone's schedule to find the best time to leave Friday. Saturday morning we will get up drive, claim a camping spot and go ride. See above for the rest of the story. Tuesday will be a morning ride and long drive home.

We can put about a dozen bikes in the Germantown Cycles van. Hopefully we can get enough volunteers to drive. Costs will be split. I am guessing it will end up in the $150 range -- only a rough estimate. I will solidify numbers as the headcount in figured.

Call or email me with any questions.

-Brian

brian@germantowncycles.com
Edit/Delete Message

For those of you that have not ridden in Pisgah National Park in North Carolina, it is one of the best places on earth.
Amen to that. I guess I'm spoiled only being a little more then 1 hour away from Pisgah. You are right about some of those climbs - you think that you are almost to the top and you go around the corner only to see that your not even close!! Where do you guys camp? If the weather is nice a lot of those free spots get taken fast. Have a good trip and watch out for the rattlesnakes.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
one of these years, i'll make this trip. unfortunately, i'll be in mexico at an all inclusive resort eating, drinking, and getting as fat as i can get in 6 days... pretty much the exact opposite of what you guys will be doing.