Quantcast

XC Vs Cyclocross bikes

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've recently got into a debate with a buddy who swears up and down that there are all sorts of advantages to riding a cyclocross bike vs an XC bike. Having not ridden either in a long time, I figured I'd come ask everyone here. What are you opinions on dropbars on an XC bike, or just running a plain old cyclocross bike for an XC race. Would you be competitive? What advantages do you think you would have?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Uh...yeah...this is like asking if a DJ bike will be good for DHing.
i dh on my dj bike all the time at diablo and i love it makes you a better rider. dont see how your stupid comment relates to the dif between xc and cx

well ne who cx is a neat form of biking because its over mostly gravel roads and singletrack. no rock gardens or tech sections except deep mud but its fun.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
well. i think advantages on a CX on XC would be the fire/service road parts of the race. Almost every single race I've done so far have atleast a mile of fire road in the mix. I think that the problem would come to the single track part of the race on. You would have to make choice lines on the ups and downs of the singletrack where as with and XC you just pretty much go for it. You still have to find lines but not as many as with a CX. I would say that uphill fireroad and smooth single track CX would be better but on hardcore singletrack XC would be the best. Still gonna stick with my XC rig though :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i dh on my dj bike all the time at diablo and i love it makes you a better rider. dont see how your stupid comment relates to the dif between xc and cx
just because it works doesn't mean it is better. you can race xc on a cross bike, but most of the time you are much better off on a xc bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
simmer down now turbo:ban:
Seriously....

I think the DH/DJ comparison does have validity- and this is coming from someone who rides downhill a good amount and also rides his cx bike on the same trails he rides his regular mtb.

Unless the course is crazy smooth, a CX bike would be a bad idea. I've ridden the exact same XC trails on several bikes and it's usually the same story: the FR/DH bike made everything easier but was slow, the CX bike made tech sections hard but was fast on smooth parts and the XC/AM bike was probably the fastest overall and the most fun. Pounding through a rock garden of any size on an aluminum fork, 30c tire, 65psi bike with your hands on drop bars is not confidence inspiring.

I'm not saying that riding a CX bike on trails isn't fun. I mean, I do it often enough. I'm just saying that for racing or real performance, your course had better be really smooth or you had better be a real beast to make it work.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Good to know. I've never ridden a cross bike before, but never really looked so smooth when I've seen others do it. What about drop bars on an XC bike? My buddy makes the statement that what confidence you would lose in the decent, you would make up for in better body position while climbing. Personally I think on any sort of technical climb, you'd be up a creek.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
More specifically, I said that with sufficiently wide bars you could use them like flat bars and still maintain the comfort and body position benefits of drop bars.

Of course, I also said I'd like to bend my own bars becuase I know what I think is comfortable and I've not found them yet.

Moreover, I've also thought that many of my ideas were good, when in fact they were quite bad.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Good to know. I've never ridden a cross bike before, but never really looked so smooth when I've seen others do it. What about drop bars on an XC bike? My buddy makes the statement that what confidence you would lose in the decent, you would make up for in better body position while climbing. Personally I think on any sort of technical climb, you'd be up a creek.
Drop bars on an xc bike would be whack, unless it's still 1991. How would your body position on drop bars be any better than with regular ones? Most people climb on the flats or the hoods...you can get that position with xc bars; you're only missing the drops...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
With all due respect to your buddy...

He's a moron. :D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Well, actually, you wouldnt even really be missing them. ;) There is rarely a time where aerodynamics is important, and even then the same position can be achieved with a flatbar.
That's what I was really saying. The drops are the only thing gone and they're not terribly useful on an mtb. Another issue with drop bars is that you lose leverage and, therefore, confidence, in every situation- climbs and flats included.

bdam- has your buddy ever actually ridden anything with drop bars offroad?

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
bdam- has your buddy ever actually ridden anything with drop bars offroad?
Gravel paths, but that's about it.
My original statement was:
"Drops are comfy, i would have no problem riding them through dirt if they were wider. That is, riding on the hoods. Riding in the drops might be another story, though I could see where that would come in handy, riding in the drops would be perfect for out of saddle climbs."

I may not be smart enough to realize that I'm totally wrong, but I still believe flat (or riser) bars are uncomfortable.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Maybe you just aren't man enough. :brow: Squeak has ridden his cross bike on trails there before, can't remember which trail though.
Haha! Pwned :happydance:

I have ridden a few trails here with my CX bike. Heil ranch, Evergreen 3 sisters, part of Devils Backbone...

As long as its not too rocky I do fine. If it is more technical (Apex, Hall ranch ect) I would have problems. Im not smooth enough and I could see bent rims and pinch flats in my future.

I have seen one guy going up the rock garden at Hall, and he was amazing. Also saw one going up apex. Its do-able.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Some guy out here in SoCal races the local sandy, rocky XC on his cross bike and kicks ass. It's not about the bike, it's about the rider.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I won a collegiate A XC race on my 'cross bike(s) (I used both bikes, as the downtube on one kinda.... snapped). Take what you want from that...

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I won a collegiate A XC race on my 'cross bike(s) (I used both bikes, as the downtube on one kinda.... snapped). Take what you want from that...
which one? im trying to think of the courses where a cross bike would be an advantage, UMASS' old course up by the apple orchard?

also i dont think they are really comparable, they are intended for different types of riding. Sure if the xc course is similar to a cross course then an cx bike would be good, but for a normal xc course the cx bike just wouldnt cut it. im specifically talking about racing though.

matt

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Seriously....

I think the DH/DJ comparison does have validity- and this is coming from someone who rides downhill a good amount and also rides his cx bike on the same trails he rides his regular mtb.

Unless the course is crazy smooth, a CX bike would be a bad idea. I've ridden the exact same XC trails on several bikes and it's usually the same story: the FR/DH bike made everything easier but was slow, the CX bike made tech sections hard but was fast on smooth parts and the XC/AM bike was probably the fastest overall and the most fun. Pounding through a rock garden of any size on an aluminum fork, 30c tire, 65psi bike with your hands on drop bars is not confidence inspiring.

I'm not saying that riding a CX bike on trails isn't fun. I mean, I do it often enough. I'm just saying that for racing or real performance, your course had better be really smooth or you had better be a real beast to make it work.
Why smooth? Until lately I was riding my jake the Snake on all the techy stuff around here (Mt A, Fort Rock etc). The 700c's roll over most stuff with no problems. You have to be careful because you have less tire, but all in all the Jake was fantastic out here.

Folks looked at us all like we were insane, but the bikes filled a niche.

I think too many folks out there are pigeon-holing riding these days.

Step away from the keyboard, Get on a bike. ANY freakin bike. Go Ride.

Explore. Jump. Pedal till you puke. Do 40mph down a street. Hop a log. Have fun.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
which one? im trying to think of the courses where a cross bike would be an advantage, UMASS' old course up by the apple orchard?

also i dont think they are really comparable, they are intended for different types of riding. Sure if the xc course is similar to a cross course then an cx bike would be good, but for a normal xc course the cx bike just wouldnt cut it. im specifically talking about racing though.

matt
Umass O'hill race in '01 I think. I know that Adam Myerson won that race on his cross bikes a few time as well. I also know that I have won the Dalton and Easthampton training races a few times on my 'cross bike, as have a few other Northampton elite racers. The fact of the matter is that fintess and skill win races and a good 70% of the races I've ever done could have been won on a 'cross bike.