Quantcast

XT shifter feels funny, any thoughts or suggestions?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Here's the deal, XT rear 9sp shifter, 105 short cage rear der. This was my first time setting up a shifting setup of any kind. I followed Shimano's directions that came with the der. and it seemed to shift up and down so I figured I had done something right.

But I've noticed that when shifting down (towards the smaller cogs on the cassette) it's not a quick snap at the trigger but it requres quite a bit of force with my finger to get it to change gears. It feels like something is way too tight but I have no idea what it could be (that makes the lever so hard to pull with my index finger while shifting down).

I have another 2 bikes with XT shifters. Both have XT rear der.'s Both of them just go "clank" and the chain drops onto the smaller cogs. It requires little to no force (just normal finger tug). So I have a problem.

Just wondering if the spring on the 105 is just that beefy and strong? I can shift up (smallest to larger cassette cogs) fine, feels like everything else I've tried, but shifting down takes a hard tug. It definately doesn't feel like any other bike I've ridden. Again, it feels like something is too tight but I've never known of any XT adjustments for that stuff.

Any help would be greatly appricated!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Have you checked to see if the shifter is rubbing on your brake lever? I see that all the time.

Actually I've never seen it happen but I read another post where you said you found that to be the problem on your P.1 ;)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
LOL yeah, it was hitting the lower part of my hayes lever. I moved things around and it works fine now. Go figure it was something stupid.