Quantcast

xtr m980/LG1+ with 150mm hub/outer chainring position

drjon

Chimp
Nov 18, 2009
ive been looking around to see if anyone is running a similar set up and struggling, so thought id just ask the question.

frame is 73mm bb shell.
150mm rear end.
the idea is to run 1x9 or 1x10. it will be a hardtail, but with offset seat tube, so an iscg 05 mount would be preferable. cranks will be the xtr m980 triple. ideally the ring will be in the outer position to give good chainline for the 150 rear end.

am i likely to run into interference between the crank and the back plate? will removing the granny tabs be the way forward or am i looking at too little space altogether?

any advice on this appreciated.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Educated guess here, but I think it's going to be hard to get the guide far enough out to not have interference issues even with the granny tabs gone.

What the hell kind of bike has a 150/73mm setup on a hardtail?

drjon

Chimp
Nov 18, 2009
custom vertigo cycles ti. current one has 83mm bb shell and the lg1+ works well. i have the ring spaced *inwards* from the crank arm tabs by 2.5mm and a 9 speed block.

Think its still the xcx one in this pic...

Previously, it had a pretty unique DT 150/singlsespeed freewheel hub and a 1x6, but i decided to gear up.

the new bike will be a xc/endurance racer, with a 1x9 - similar design, but obviously i wanted to use a lighter crank etc....hence the clearance issue potentially...

:-)~

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
custom vertigo cycles ti. current one has 83mm bb shell and the lg1+ works well. i have the ring spaced *inwards* from the crank arm tabs by 2.5mm and a 9 speed block.

Think its still the xcx one in this pic...

Previously, it had a pretty unique DT 150/singlsespeed freewheel hub and a 1x6, but i decided to gear up.

the new bike will be a xc/endurance racer, with a 1x9 - similar design, but obviously i wanted to use a lighter crank etc....hence the clearance issue potentially...

:-)~
Hey Dr J,
I've actually tried this, to test compatibility as older (06-07ish) Commencal DH rigs needed a similar setup to clear the main suspension pivot...worked with older LG1/SRS but not the new generation. There simply isn't enough room for the backplate when the ring is in the outer position (on any crankset).

I'm also going to ask...why did you go with a 150mm rear hub size? Typically you would design in a 150mm rear hub to allow for wider chainstays/tire clearance...at the expense of a bit of weight (downhill bike). I think there are a few companies that make a short cassette 135mm hub that would give you slightly better spoke triangulation.

Cheers,
philip

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm also going to ask...why did you go with a 150mm rear hub size? Typically you would design in a 150mm rear hub to allow for wider chainstays/tire clearance...at the expense of a bit of weight (downhill bike). I think there are a few companies that make a short cassette 135mm hub that would give you slightly better spoke triangulation.
My thoughts exactly. I just don't see the need for a 150mm rear end on an XC race hardtail. If you're worried about stiffening up the rear end, you can always do a 12x135mm through axle, and while you would have slightly worse spoke triangulation, as Phil noted, I just don't see it being that big a deal for a bike of that intended use.

drjon

Chimp
Nov 18, 2009
the reasoning is because the chainstays are going to be REALLY short and its a 29er...like sub 16.5...so, i basically get more ring clearance if i go for the ring in an outer position (ill be using a 35 or 36 tooth ring and a 9 or 10 speed cassette. to do this, a 150 rear hub gives a good chainline....if i went with a middle ring position i believe there would be super minimal clearance for a tube chainstay, and im not sure if a plate is an option....

but! good points all! i guess the other option is to get an e mount front guide as i think this would allow a more solid base for the upper guide (which is all im likely to use - the bike above just uses the upper portion of the LG 1+ and it works nicely.

If i used a singlspeed specific crank like the e13 would this still foul?

thanks muchly you guys! very helpful indeed!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I still don't think it'll work. Phil would know better, but if the seat tube mount XCX can be extended enough that might be your best option.