Quantcast

xxx - Tuesday at bay - xxx

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
technician is at my house to install new ISP. Going to Bell from Rogers. Service might be slower (at 100 Mbps vs 150 Mbps), but neighbours with this service say it's plenty - all 4 of them can stream at the same time no problem, and - this is the biggest kicker for me - there are no service interruptions. Rogers might be fast, but it dropped 5x yesterday. During two meetings, and while saving a file... I can't with that isht anymore. Bonus is that Bell is $40/month cheaper too.

If he's done on time, I might even sneak a lunch ride in too, since work thinks I'm off-line!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
technician is at my house to install new ISP. Going to Bell from Rogers. Service might be slower (at 100 Mbps vs 150 Mbps), but neighbours with this service say it's plenty - all 4 of them can stream at the same time no problem, and - this is the biggest kicker for me - there are no service interruptions. Rogers might be fast, but it dropped 5x yesterday. During two meetings, and while saving a file... I can't with that isht anymore. Bonus is that Bell is $40/month cheaper too.

If he's done on time, I might even sneak a lunch ride in too, since work thinks I'm off-line!
We just did the opposite, switched from Rogers to Bell.

No matter which, friggin' expensive.

But Bell just installed new fiber throughout the neighborhood here, so they've been going door to door pretty hard trying to sell some deals. I guess the fiber won't pay for itself, eh!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We just did the opposite, switched from Rogers to Bell.

No matter which, friggin' expensive.

But Bell just installed new fiber throughout the neighborhood here, so they've been going door to door pretty hard trying to sell some deals. I guess the fiber won't pay for itself, eh!
Reading is fun...damental!!! Going from Rogers to Bell is exactly what I'm doing. :D Unfortunately (and somewhat ironically given that I live in the core of the city), we don't get the full Fibe experience here. Because our little development is privately owned, Bell doesn't have a right-of-way to tear up the streets. So we'd have to pay for the installation ourselves, which I gather is very expensive....

My brother has the full Fibe experience, and loves it. He's my go-to reference for tech stuff, so I trust him. My neighbour is a simultaneous interpreter for the courts, and during Covid was doing interpretation from home. Having an stable connection is critical in that case, and he never had a problem, so I'm hoping the same holds true for me. :fingerscrossed:

Rogers was $130 discounted to $105 for two years, whereas Bell will be $105 discounted to $70 for the next two years. I'll take it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Reading is fun...damental!!! Going from Rogers to Bell is exactly what I'm doing. :D Unfortunately (and somewhat ironically given that I live in the core of the city), we don't get the full Fibe experience here. Because our little development is privately owned, Bell doesn't have a right-of-way to tear up the streets. So we'd have to pay for the installation ourselves, which I gather is very expensive....

My brother has the full Fibe experience, and loves it. He's my go-to reference for tech stuff, so I trust him. My neighbour is a simultaneous interpreter for the courts, and during Covid was doing interpretation from home. Having an stable connection is critical in that case, and he never had a problem, so I'm hoping the same holds true for me. :fingerscrossed:

Rogers was $130 discounted to $105 for two years, whereas Bell will be $105 discounted to $70 for the next two years. I'll take it.
Oops, I totally read that backwards. I guess I need more coffee. :busted:

$70 is great, thats what it should be normally. I think with our Fibe service we are paying $105, which is the discounted price for it..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Had low key birthday and realized I hadn't ordered my anniversary gift from @AngryMetalsmith so I did that last night and will hope for the best on sizing since the wife is no help in that area. :rofl:

Got some work to do today, but also need tacos.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy all

drove in to work like a normal human being today, since after pancreatic cancer conference I'm going to head up north for a quick errand, pick up some long/bulky gear I won at auction yesterday

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Annual ball check and then onsite with clients today. Also got an interview request from Schwab yesterday. Took less than a week from submission.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Fiber Internet at the new house and it's 5 bucks a month cheaper than what I was paying at the current place for DSL. MOVIN' ON UP! *
1117.jpg

*CenturyLink by any other name is still total shite, I expect fuckery.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fiber Internet at the new house and it's 5 bucks a month cheaper than what I was paying at the current place for DSL. MOVIN' ON UP! *
View attachment 201093

*CenturyLink by any other name is still total shite, I expect fuckery.
Once they get fiber down our street, I'm apparently going to be able to get 500/500 for $9 more than I'm paying for 400/10. And no Comcast or Centurylink involved. :monkeydance:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
when's move date? also did i miss updates on the chimney debacles?
We close on the new place Friday morning, actual move process begins immediately after. @Toshi is correct, buyer was unperturbed. Probably because the house they live in has the exact same chimney and presumably, issues. I'm also highly suspicious of the chimney inspector, who never did bother to return the NUMEROUS phone calls and texts from myself and/or my realtor. Shifty A F.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We close on the new place Friday morning, actual move process begins immediately after. @Toshi is correct, buyer was unperturbed. Probably because the house they live in has the exact same chimney and presumably, issues. I'm also highly suspicious of the chimney inspector, who never did bother to return the NUMEROUS phone calls and texts from myself and/or my realtor. Shifty A F.
sleeve it and install an insert, problem solved.