Quantcast

Year round lift access?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Is there a Park in the US with year round lift access for bikes? I thought i heard of one - a winter in Calgary has me already planning escapes - but i can't find a trace with Google.

Cheers.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
It would have to be somewhere with some elevation, no snow, and a sizable mtb community...hmm maybe SoCal?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There are a bunch of spots in Switzerland with year round lift access.
Aren't the trails covered in deep powder in the Winter? I though the only places in yurp for dh riding were the southern islands like the Cyprus, Canaries or San Remo etc.
Tell me more ;)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Bootleg in Vegas isn't a lift, but it's a paid all-day shuttle sorta thing. They run all winter.

RobinGrahn

Chimp
Aug 3, 2008
Sweden
The thing is that the resorts don't build lifts for mountainbiking but for skiing so where there's no snow there's no lift. Bad for us downhillers but that's how it is.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Mt.Baldy is practically year round. Probably 9-10 months or more of biking lift service. It's only fast and wide open trails though. No interesting technical riding.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Aren't the trails covered in deep powder in the Winter? I though the only places in yurp for dh riding were the southern islands like the Cyprus, Canaries or San Remo etc.
Tell me more ;)
There are certain spots that are low enough in the bottom of the valleys that they only get snow from time to time. The public transportation system is great for shuttling with little cog trains and mini gondolas. La Salenfe (sp?) near Geneva is supposedly rideable year round and Dorenaz is ride-able almost all year. It all depends on the storm and lots of those spots dry out quick. Didn't you ride the Gurten? Places like that but with a warm grape growing micro climate are the best in the winter.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
.... the southern islands like the Cyprus, Canaries or San Remo etc.
your geography teacher would be ashamed of you. :)

i read in the ad's in Dirt or maybe MBUK that there are spots in spain which are ridable year round, but i doubt they have lift access.

edit:
here's a link:
http://www.switch-backsdh.com/

quote: "SwitchbacksDH is for the aspiring to professional DHer who wants van-assist downhilling between the months of November to April."

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Tell me more ;)
bad wildbad in germany is also rideable in the winter as long as it doesn't snow, the tram always transports bikes.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Bootleg's probably the closest thing to what you're asking for. Snow--and then mud--are going to rule out a lot of places with elevation. Another post mentioned that the lifts are installed with skiers in mind, so that rules out a lot of places that have vert but don't get snow.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There are certain spots that are low enough in the bottom of the valleys that they only get snow from time to time. The public transportation system is great for shuttling with little cog trains and mini gondolas. La Salenfe (sp?) near Geneva is supposedly rideable year round and Dorenaz is ride-able almost all year. It all depends on the storm and lots of those spots dry out quick. Didn't you ride the Gurten? Places like that but with a warm grape growing micro climate are the best in the winter.
I was to go there but I my riding this summer was pretty scarce due to the fact I spend 2 months finishing my flat ( and the damn thing isn't finished yet) but it's good to know that there are places like that.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
here in graz, austria you can ride all year round on the schöckl, though there is snow on the top in the winter, we just use wetscreams, which work fine. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
here in graz, austria you can ride all year round on the schöckl, though there is snow on the top in the winter, we just use wetscreams, which work fine. :D
Didn't know there were trails in graz. Visited the bikestore shops when I was in maribor and the storm stopped the lift and we needed some gear. Cool city.

Cordsport

Chimp
Feb 15, 2009
The Benalmadena chairlift in southern spain (maybe costa del sol??) runs year round. But it is an expensive uplift.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
care to elaborate? Which airline flies direct from TO, and where would you ride lifts? I'm marrying into a Chilean family and this kind of info would be pure gold!!! :D
Aircanada, i do it every year in feb for around $1200 (montreal/To, To/Santiago).

There is tons of good riding, with lifts. La Parva and Termas de Chillan are both epic and completely different. There is 3-4 other mountains as well and TONS of good shuttles.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Aircanada, i do it every year in feb for around $1200 (montreal/To, To/Santiago).

There is tons of good riding, with lifts. La Parva and Termas de Chillan are both epic and completely different. There is 3-4 other mountains as well and TONS of good shuttles.
You know of anything in the Valparaiso/Vina del mar area?

btw, how do you get around down there? I just looked and Chillan seems to be like an eight hour drive from Santiago?!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You know of anything in the Valparaiso/Vina del mar area?

btw, how do you get around down there? I just looked and Chillan seems to be like an eight hour drive from Santiago?!
Ya I have been to valpo very year for 3 years. There is a couple of events fairly locally, but not sure on actual DH shuttles. Probably within 20-30 mins max though.

Chillan is a hike, but definitely worth it. La parva is about 50 mins outside (and above) santiago. I head down there with friends and stay with friends, so gettinga round isn't really an issue. Rental car would be your best bet. The local riding community is extremely welcoming and always willing to help.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ya I have been to valpo very year for 3 years. There is a couple of events fairly locally, but not sure on actual DH shuttles. Probably within 20-30 mins max though.

Chillan is a hike, but definitely worth it. La parva is about 50 mins outside (and above) santiago. I head down there with friends and stay with friends, so gettinga round isn't really an issue. Rental car would be your best bet. The local riding community is extremely welcoming and always willing to help.
Cool. I might hit you up for some more concrete leads when I eventually make my way down there. thanks...