Quantcast

Yet another boring house building thread

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
You do realize we're putting columns in and trimming everything out right?
Dude, it looks like Jed Clampitt added on to his home after he was shooting for some food, then up from the ground came a bubbling crude, oil that is, black gold, Texas tea..............

This type of enty would be better.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude, it looks like Jed Clampitt added on to his home after he was shooting for some food, then up from the ground came a bubbling crude, oil that is, black gold, Texas tea..............

This type of enty would be better.

This is supposed to look similar in style to the barn on the property and not like a ski chalet. It's supposed to be simple, note the majority of the window trim is simple. There will be columns and lanterns but nothing as ornate as you posted.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Stosh, I like the look of your place as-is. Some people think all houses should look exactly the same or they're "ugly." These are the same people who choose to live in planned subdivisions.
It's your house. Who gives a **** what others think.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Not trying to sound like a douche. But how does a med student afford a place like that?

Edit: btw, I like it. I love the huge porche.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Stosh, I like the look of your place as-is. Some people think all houses should look exactly the same or they're "ugly." These are the same people who choose to live in planned subdivisions.
It's your house. Who gives a **** what others think.
You really "don't" have a clue when it comes to custom homes. When you're spending that type of money on a place, make it look like it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like the place. I'm sure the landscaping will make the entry look alot more like an entry. Much better looking than 99.999% of the abominations I see being built.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You know the more I think about it, Brian is right. There should totally be some big shrubberies trimmed into the shape of dollar signs or something out there to really let the world know that the owners have plenty of cash to spare.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm pretty sure that isn't Stosh's house. :rofl:
Anybody think to read back and see the part where it's being framed. My boss and I designed it, I drew up the blueprints and now I'm GC'ing the construction of it so NO it's not my house.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think you're being generous. :think:

Cookie cutter houses on postate stamp properties make sense when building homes for us po' folk. I'm talking about the crap that people are spending a cool mil on. Like this box vaguely disguised not to look like a box.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BTW cost wise, this place cost significantly less than an ordinary house in San Fran or the outskirts costs. I'm sure it cost less than Brians run of the mill house as well.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BTW cost wise, this place cost significantly less than an ordinary house in San Fran or the outskirts costs. I'm sure it cost less than Brians run of the mill house as well.
that's likely mostly based on land price, no?

what if you put brian's house in the middle of the Borneo jungle and compare?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You really "don't" have a clue when it comes to custom homes. When you're spending that type of money on a place, make it look like it.
Or you could, you know, build what the buyer wants. Unless this is a spec home (I didn't see any mention that it was), isn't there someone whose opinion on the subject matters more than the builder's? :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
that's likely mostly based on land price, no?

what if you put brian's house in the middle of the Borneo jungle and compare?
If would be willing to bet the construction costs are far lower for this house than to build Brian's house as well. I'm sure the construction costs where he lives are much more than around here. This area of NY is the fastest growing area in the state I believe.

We were able to keep costs down with value engineering and competitive bidding throughout the process as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or you could, you know, build what the buyer wants. Unless this is a spec home (I didn't see any mention that it was), isn't there someone whose opinion on the subject matters more than the builder's? :rolleyes:
The homo-ners association. If you don't make your place look like some rich douche lives there your neighbors might not get as much money when some rich douche wants to buy their place.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
If would be willing to bet the construction costs are far lower for this house than to build Brian's house as well. I'm sure the construction costs where he lives are much more than around here. This area of NY is the fastest growing area in the state I believe.

We were able to keep costs down with value engineering and competitive bidding throughout the process as well.
i'm pretty sure that competitive bidding is standard for any business who wants to maximize profit...

what was value engineered out of that house? 24k gold toilet roll holders?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ha if we let the framers/trim guys/plumbers/electricians do the job like they "think" it should be done this house would have been a disaster. Most contractors, even the good ones resist change or something out of the norm.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i'm pretty sure that competitive bidding is standard for any business who wants to maximize profit...

what was value engineered out of that house? 24k gold toilet roll holders?
Actually when a GC bid's a project they will bid out to multiple subs for better prices after they have already settled on a price with the client so the money goes to the GC's pocket. Here we GC'ed it for the owner, he paid us for our time and he saved a ton of money by hiring the subs direct.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Actually when a GC bid's a project they will bid out to multiple subs for better prices after they have already settled on a price with the client so the money goes to the GC's pocket. Here we GC'ed it for the owner, he paid us for our time and he saved a ton of money by hiring the subs direct.
Dammit, I wanna know why there is a Waco, TX turret on top of that bad boy?

And anybody baggin' on that house can suck it. It's got a 3 car garage and the ability to fend off long range invaders!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You need a 20' extension ladder to get up to those windows from the inside. They're just to let light in to the stairwell and the stair tower is to help balance the front elevation of the house.

Dammit, I wanna know why there is a Waco, TX turret on top of that bad boy?

And anybody baggin' on that house can suck it. It's got a 3 car garage and the ability to fend off long range invaders!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always wanted a tower on my house. Just a little something a story or two highter than the rest. A small covered deck with a beer fridge and a urinal. Kind of like a fire tower.