Quantcast

Yeti 303R riders

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Just got my frame in the post today and spent this evening building it up. Total stunner!
I'm running a Vivid on mine, but i'm just wondering what spring weight you guys are running? I'm about 165lbs and its got a 400lb spring on it. I reckon I probably need a 300/350lb (depending on whether you trust the TF, or Mojo spring calculators!) I don't really trust either, but the sag at the minute is probably around 25%

Cheers!

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
yeah there's just about zero preload on the spring as well. All the compression rolled off too. I guess maybe i'm not quite as heavy as I thought. As a guide, i'm running it in the slackest setting, and when i'm fully on the bike the rail is coming to the sag marking for it in 65 degrees. So i'm a little bit out still.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Welcome to RM Dave and congrats again on the 303R. That vivid has 225lbs of pressure in it as I charged it before shipping.

Before I got the Obtanium Ti spring, I ran that 400# steel spring on the vivid when I was around 180lbs. A 350# steel spring should be just fine for you.

Did you get the frame back together fine?

mini-dub

Chimp
May 21, 2008
I'll be getting a 303R soon with a RC4 shock, I'm not sure which spring it's coming with though. I weigh 145lbs with no gear, what would be an appropriate spring for the RC4? Seems like a 350 would be pretty close.

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
I think a 350 should do just fine. CRC is about 10mins from my house, so i'll go check it out tonight I think. I'll stick up some pictures later on when i manage to.
Bike went together pretty easy. Little bit of work getting the car attached to the links, but it went together in the end. Looks amazing!

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Here's a few pictures of the bike. Really happy with how it turned out, and if this monsoon here in Northern Ireland ever stopped, we might be able to get some decent riding pictures. Looks like we're waiting until the weekend!

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
And here's a few more:

Might have went a little overboard with the pictures, but why the heck not!
Can't wait to get out and ride it now.

mini-dub

Chimp
May 21, 2008
Ok so it looks like I need to find a 350lb spring, anyone want to trade for a 400lb?

Another question! What is a good grease to use on the rail? How about Phil's Waterproof Grease? I find that works well for just about everywhere else on a bike that needs grease.

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
I'm after a 350lb Vivid spring as well. Looks like I'll just have to fork out for a Rockshox steel one. Man, the Vivid Springs are so much more expensive than Fox!
Grease - I was recommended the Shimano Green special grease, or slick honey. Though some of the guys who've had theirs for a while may have better ideas!