Quantcast

" You can't ride downhill on a Hardtail"

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
If I hear this sentence one more time..soemone is getting a cockpunch!:nope:....that is what was said to me yesterday as I was in Supergo trying to find a 1.5 starnut. So I start thinking how many different ways are we going to segregate ourselves as riders??

I mean you already have the dh, xc, black diamond, single speed...etc. So now am I going to have to deal with the "why aren't you on a full suspension crowd"!!!

It's just plain madness, we're all riders and we should all be stoked that people are out there riding. It amazes me how people can be so closed minded sometimes....anyway my HT is done and I plan or racing it as much as I can in the dh class just like I did last year....D <-----hoping the class will get bigger this year.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
But you can't ride DH on a hardtail. All those bumps you would feel are liable to hurt you. That and actually picking a line could cause undo stress.:D

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Super sweet ride...good luck...I am sure you will turn some heads onthe DH course with that thing....

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
i heard that its because if a hardtail goes down a hill then the universe becomes unbalanced leading to a colapse of the space-time continium and the end of time as we know it................................... however green doublewides help to stop this

(sorry - slightly bored today)

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
A friend I know gets bagged out constantly by elitists because he rides a .243 with an 888 up front. They say how crap it's be to ride, and how it's be useless and all that. So he races at one of the better DH tracks in the country and gets a very respectable time... it sure shut up most of the naysayers.

Anyone that says you can't DH on a hardtail needs a good kicking. Supposedly my big dually is crap to ride uphill, but I still do it... ride what you want, not what hype and trends tell you to.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Lexx D
But you can't ride DH on a hardtail. All those bumps you would feel are liable to hurt you. That and actually picking a line could cause undo stress.:D
yeah that's the excuse the salesman was spouting off...mind you he was at least 5 years younger than me.....D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a Breakout+, correct?

Please post your impressions when you have a little riding time on it.. I'm considering one for my Imperial to DH on this next season. Good price, good weight, good technology, more versitile than a double crown... Seems like an obvious choice for a DH hardtail with a 1.5 HT!

Looks sweet though.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude, I have a 1.5 starnut.

And it's not that you can't physically DH on the HT, it's that it's illegal to do so. I thought we'd established that.

I don't know whether to ride the HT or the newly-slider'd RFX on opening day.

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by binary visions

Please post your impressions when you have a little riding time on it.. I'm considering one for my Imperial to DH on this next season. Good price, good weight, good technology, more versitile than a double crown... Seems like an obvious choice for a DH hardtail with a 1.5 HT!

Looks sweet though.
sorry no + just your standard breakout....I rode the same fork all last year and loved it...I just decided to try the SPV version....D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Interesting cable routing to the front brake, how far can you spin your bars to the right without pulling the hose from the lever? I'm not saying it won't work it just looks odd to me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You can ride a hardtail downhill....it's just slower. :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Acadian
and not as fun (for me anyway)...
I see it as using a little hammer to do the job of a sledgehammer! might work, but not the proper tool for the job! Unless your name is Sanjay! :rolleyes: ;)
not the proper tool for the job:confused:

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i realy get looks when i race DH on this....but then again we do have a HT DH class out here in the pacific northwest for nuts like us....but the SS added to that makes people do this:eek:

here is the bike.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Agreed!

I hit Whistler last summer on the singlespeed hardtail and got so many looks in my tattered jeans, DJ bucket and t-shirt.

It's not like I don't have the gear and a plethora of big bikes collecting dust in the basement, I just prefer to ride the hardtail is all.

Some kids just prefer to look the part - me, I'd rather just ride...

Long live the singlespeed-freeride-hardtail!

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Originally posted by binary visions

Looks sweet though.
I happen to be running the breakout+ on an imperial and I love it. I raced DH on it at sea otter :eek: :eek: oh my god I rode DH on a hardtail.......... sorry:rolleyes: so far it has been performing very well and I have been thoroughly pleased with it. It is my first manitou, having previously run mostly marzocchis. pm me if you want a full run down of my impressions, I don't want to bore everyone here and get too off topic.

HARDTAIL DH RULES!!!!!
SAN-DEEMUS FOOTBALL RULES!!!!
SAYING THINGS RULE RULES!!!!

I'm at work.....layoff.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Tweek
Anyone making such an assinine statement should be forced to watch clips of Sanjay. :monkey:
You can't ride downhill on a hardtail.

Ok, now that I have that out of the way, where can I download these clips?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
c'mon D you got to be honest here...

okay, I would also ride a HT at Whistler, there are some nice groomed trails there. I'm pretty sure I could also handle a HT at BB

Now lets talk about Bootleg Canyon or North Star for example. Ya okay you "could" ride a HT there, but you can't honestly tell me that would be fun?? I, for one know I wouldn't have fun on a HT there – I would also most likely get injured if I did.

I’m not saying you can’t, but having the choice between a DH bike and a HT to ride those places there is no way I would ride a HT. Heck, any other place other than smooth DS/MTX tracks, I rather ride a fully…
I think it's more fun becaue I have to be on my toes more and I can't get all sloppy as If I were riding a Dh bike. I do think it's kind of ironic that you ride for a team that doesn't even make a FS frame (or maybe they do now)....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
:think: euhhh…what team? I'm not part of any team.

I'm surprised you haven't called me puss yet since I don't like to DH on a HT! But then again everyone knows I don't ride since I spend all my time brown nosing...

I guess racing a HT downhill can also be a good excuse for poor results..again, unless your name is Sanjay. :rolleyes: ;)
Oh I thought you were still on Planet X....I'm not calling you a puss just because you don't ride a Ht on a DH course it's just your preference nothing more....I guess poor results depends on who's judging them;)

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
i am confused is there really a discussion about not riding dh with hardtails?
the only thing i can remember was that hilarious thread about hardtails being prohibited in whistler...

ride what you want but ride!!!
thats all that counts.
you won't find me riding a hardtail, because if i do, i won't walk anymore in the evening.
my weak knee hurts like hell after a day riding a hardtail. so full susser for my ****ed up body. :(
I'd love to ride hardtails more often!

EDIT:

Nice evil you have there!!!! :devil: ;)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Just a joke. Ride your hardtail and smoke the guys on DH bikes.
I personally don't care if you ride a shopping cart as long as you can keep up.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by BMXman
Oceanside....D
Damn, I would give that person a cock punch if someone told you that at the one in Laguna Hills since I work there. But I'm not surprised that one of the sales guys said that. We have a lot of numb nut co-workers that don't much about bikes working in the company. Oh well.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Why is this still going? You should know by now that the only way to make it down the mountain without serious injury is with 9 inches or more. Some people are slow learners:D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
hey, I pick lines on my FS... I just pick harder/faster lines and know that the suspension will soak it up. if you choose the smoothest line through a section chances are it won't be the fastest, and vice versa. But that's just what I've seen at platt, mtn creek and mt snow. smooth groomed courses are probably a different story. :D

dante

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by dante
hey, I pick lines on my FS... I just pick harder/faster lines and know that the suspension will soak it up. if you choose the smoothest line through a section chances are it won't be the fastest, and vice versa. But that's just what I've seen at platt, mtn creek and mt snow. smooth groomed courses are probably a different story. :D

dante
I've ridden Plattakill and Mt. Snow on a hardtail for years... and past many a dual suspension bike. The faster you go the less you feel those bumps :D

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
im riding my hardtail on everything right now because im waiting for my vp free. i had a bullit before and riding the ht on downhills turn out to be not much harder. its a new challenge just do what you like

Feb 29, 2004
England
I like, I like. Is that the size large?

Oh yeah, and do you have trouble setting up the gears to run smoothly, I find that the dropout stops the top jockywheel a few inches too short of the cassette.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Originally posted by Slugman
I've ridden Plattakill and Mt. Snow on a hardtail for years... and past many a dual suspension bike. The faster you go the less you feel those bumps :D
eh, then would totally say you're a better rider than the guys you passed. total props to the guys that do it, saw at least 2 guys on HTs at the platt race on sunday, including one who passed my buddy bruce on an SGS Expert. There were no HTs in my class, so I can't compare... :D

Besides, DH'ing on a HT kills my legs, no opportunities to sit down to take a break on the smoother sections.

dante

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
hey d, put some clips on that and I'd get it settled for you..
I, we, better start seeing you riding/training with us soon.. ;):)

HTs are fun. That's all I had for six months prior to getting the DH bike built up and I learned a lot and learned to ride aggressively bec on a HT, the slower you go, the more chances you're gonna get jacked!! Regardless, don't you guys ever attempt to race 12 HR on a HT again...unless it's a Rabie Solo Team... ahahahahahaha :D