Quantcast

You have to be effing KIDDING ME.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just checked Jenn in for a flight tomorrow on American Airlines.

In order to choose a window or aisle seat - ANY window or aisle seat - you have to pay $20 per seat. To select the seat in advance.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME.

These f**king airlines are scraping every single dollar out of the bottom of the barrel. Bag fees, change fees, and now SEAT SELECTION FEES? I sort-of understood the upcharge to sit in the exit row. I didn't like it, but it's one row of the plane that has one particular advantage. But now if you want to select one of 66% of the seats on the plane, you have to pay $20 apiece? And they have the nerve to tout it as a feature - "WHERE YOU SIT IS YOUR CHOICE" is emblazoned across the top of this ridiculous page.

F**k you all, airlines. You're all a bunch of turd fondlers.

</rant>

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Southwest/AirTran, Jet Blue, Virgin - all profitable. All the rest are doing anything they can to stay in the black.

I only fly the above; it's just not worth flying anything else. Even if it costs a few dollars more for Virgin and Jetblue, the return for those few dollars is exponentially higher than the added cost. I've found that from SF-NYC Virgin is normally $40 than American/United. With that I get a larger seat, more leg room, better service, no bag fees, WiFi, etc.

Tell me why it isn't worth the extra few bucks?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
But but but but, look at how low ticket prices are!

In my 10+ years of being with the airlines this is something that continues to baffle me. They will do ANYTHING not to raise the base price of tickets so that they can continue to advertise how much lower XXXXX's tickets prices are compared to YYYYY's. They seem to not understand that when you tack on $100+ worth of "fees/surcharges/etc" to an $89 dollar ticket people lose their minds. Couple that with the hassle of getting anally probed by the TSA every time you go to the airport and its a wonder to me that anyone flies anywhere. The bottom line though is that people aren't married to any one carrier, they just shop by lowest fare. Guess what, you get what you pay for and the nightmare of modern air travel is a reflection of that.

I pray for the day that the airlines pull their collective heads out of there asses and raise ticket prices. They would 1: actually make money and 2: Price out the riff-raff and I could actually get a standby seat to somewhere fun during the summer travel season with my family. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I hate the add-on fees and would gladly pay extra on the ticket to not get pillaged with nickle-and-dime crap on the other side. At least then, when I price it out, I know what the cost is.

In this case, it happened to be a somewhat last minute flight so there were virtually no reasonable flight options, and certainly none that didn't cost a hundred dollars or more extra.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Don't forget, you have to use your debit card to by a $7 snack pack in flight, which will cause your bank to ding you for a $5 monthly charge. Synergy, fvck yeah.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I just checked Jenn in for a flight tomorrow on American Airlines.
i highlighted your problem

i just checked in for our AirTran flight tonight and they dont charge for "normal" seats, just the exit rows are $20.
i usually only fly Continental but our flight to Florida is a lot cheaper with Airtran

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dont charge for "normal" seats, just the exit rows are $20.
must be new....i don't remember airtran doing that.

2: Price out the riff-raff and I could actually get a standby seat to somewhere fun during the summer travel season with my family. :D
squeeb wants to be surrounded by white people and asians when he flies...:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Its like taking the bus, only much more inconvenient and expensive, plus there is a possibility a government worker is going to fondle your bits and pieces.
Of course, it's also difficult to take the bus to Puerto Rico...

Jenn weighs like 46 pounds. She should be nice and comfy in a middle seat.
I tried to convince them to sell her a quarter-price ticket for the overhead storage bin but they said something about government regulations and bodily harm.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i miss the pre 9/11 airline flights on half full planes and airlines not giving a fvck.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i highlighted your problem

i just checked in for our AirTran flight tonight and they dont charge for "normal" seats, just the exit rows are $20.
i usually only fly Continental but our flight to Florida is a lot cheaper with Airtran

Airtran = Southwest. Just get ready for that awesomeness.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Southwest
For the mutha effin Win! I fly only SW if possible and they are great. As a rapid rewards member too they even care about your experience. I got a call once about a flight I was on that had an obnoxious passenger. I didn't even complain but like three days after the flight SW called me to offer me a roundtrip ticket to anywhere in the US for my "troubles". And guess what? no bag fees, no seating fees, no nothin. I see why they are profitable; people actually want to fly them.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
must be new....i don't remember airtran doing that.
dunno. first time ive used this airline. $20 exit row upcharge, $20 early boarding charge, $20 bag check in.

Airtran = Southwest. Just get ready for that awesomeness.
its the same company? thankfully its only a 2hr flight and ill be slightly inebriated. they arent going to sing are they??

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The extra fees dont surprise me much. My wife and I have become so fed up with all the airline fees and having connecting flights canceled on us that we try to drive whenever possible. We'd rather drive the 18hrs from Rochester NY to Kansas City to visit her family than fly.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
:confused:

That's fvcking retarded. Your reach your destination at the exact same time as everyone else no matter how early you get on. :think:
its for those people who run to the front of the line when they announce boarding has started even when their section hasnt been called. :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
90% of tickets are probably purchased based soley on base price. While working at GE, if we purchased a ticket that was more than the cheapest available a bot would report it to our VP.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
its for those people who run to the front of the line when they announce boarding has started even when their section hasnt been called. :rolleyes:
Now that planes are full and they charge you to check bags it is a mad rush to find open overhead space.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
90% of tickets are probably purchased based soley on base price. While working at GE, if we purchased a ticket that was more than the cheapest available a bot would report it to our VP.
Same here. And if it's non-customer facing you need to select the drop down indicating who your SVP is to get approval. On my last training trip when I called our travel center to book flights last minute they forgot that drop down box, and I almost had to eat $1400 of expenses. Finally got reimbursed a month and a whole lot of bitching later.

I fly Southwest as much as I can - no bag fees, usually cheapest flights, all the snacks you can shove in your face. Just don't sit on the (sitters view) left side, back row. Seats don't recline, it's awful.