Quantcast

your Bikes Original Parts

splat

Nam I am
How many of them are left ?

I got to thinking on my Main Mt bike, My Specialiazed Stumpjumper Pro, the only Original parts I have left are

Both Brake Calipers .
the Right Brake lever
the Left shifter Pod.
The stem.

thats It!!! Every thing else has been replaced at least once , Including the frame. and these are all parts that were replaced because they Had to be replaced.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Road bike : saddle, stem, bar tape, bar ends, tires and pedals
Hard tail mtb : grips, stem, saddle, brakes and front derailleur
XC Fully : everything but the front triangle (built from the ground up)
DH Fully : rear cassette, saddle, rear derailleur, shifters, grips and pedals

All the bikes have had chain, cable and housing changed of course.

I just realize again that I have spent to much money on my bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The only bike I have that still has stock parts is my Kink Apex. Its 1 of 2 complete bikes I've ever bought (and the other was just retired, before that it had the original seatpost and binder, but that's it). All my other bikes were built up custom.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
My Stumpy Expert is the only "stock" bike I have and it's got the frame, bars, fork, stem, crank and shift bits on it.

Brakes were warranted and riding Easton Havoc wheels on it.

My Monocog Flight is only the frame.

Road bikes were all built to order.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
On my rigid and too small for me gary fisher everything is original except hub bearings, tires, brakepads, and grips.

On the BB7 only the fork and rear shock are original :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I actually have a bike that is very close to stock...the only thing I swapped on my Addict CX was the cranks. The rest of the bikes were built from the frame up

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I built all my bikes from a frame up. Even still, on my main bike, the following are part of the original build:

-frame
-seatpost
-grips
-headset

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On the DH bike which see the most use: E13 chainguide, Thomson seat post, Easton handlebar and DT Swiss rear hub are all from the original 2005 build. Some stuff was worn-out other things outdated.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I've only bought two complete bikes -- a MTB in 1989 and a roadie in 1993. I still have some parts laying around from them but not in use. My oldest part still in use is my BREW frame from 1999.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
On the roadie

New wheels, cranks, derailers, bar tape of coarse and seat. All melse original.

On the Blindside, I finally replaced my oldest bike part I had a week and a half ago.......The grips, My Odi rogue's were all but worn through on the top side, almost nine years before I actually replaced them. Put them on the ol' KHS rage back in the day the day I picked it up, those were the oldest part I had left that has gone from bike to bike as I have built them up since. The only part from the KHS I now have still is the Iron cross valve caps.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
same seat post, bars, cranks, wheelset & BB (that needs replacing).
everything else has been upgraded-swapped out.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
My commuter is the only complete OEM bike I've bought recently.

Original parts after 14k:
- Front wheel (haven't trued it or replaced the bearings...ever....thing is bombproof)
- Brake calipers, brake cables, housing
- Headset (starting to go...)
- Bars
- Stem
- Hoods & Levers

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
The four bikes I have built right now were components either swapped from another bike or built up on the new frame. The bullit I built in 05 has all the same components except, front fork, seat, tires, and drivetrain(cassette, chain, rings, and derailler(RIP SB))

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Of all the bikes I have, I have only bought 2 as complete bikes. My Gary Fisher Cake still has the original frame, rear shock, seat post, stem, handlebar, brakes, shifters and front derailer. My road bike is still stock except for saddle, pedals and bar tape.

All my other bikes I built from parts, mostly sourced new.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
How many of them are left ?
What are the qualifications? Are you referring to a bike bought as a complete such as what is in your first post? Or the parts bought with any bike including custom builds?

I have never bought a MTB of the shelf, only frame up builds. My first MTB from 1991 was a custom build. It has all of the parts I originally built it with except for the tires and grips. The tires I still have and the grips where replaced with the same ones.

All of my other bikes have had countless part swaps until the bike morphs into something completely different.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
DH bike: Everything (built from frame)

Previous FR bike: Everything (built from frame)

DH bike before that: Nothing but the cranks/BB

I learned my lesson pretty quickly as far as building a bike right the first time.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Unit...only the crank, top cap and rear reflector (Yes, reflector...I ride in the ealry a.m alot...) remain.

Trek 8000...nothing. Repeat, nothing. But thats cause I bought the frame on Ebay for $30...

M4...wheels, fork, seat and post, crank and rear cluster. Chain too...do we count that?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Just the normal wear/tear items on my Yeti ASX, 575, Orbea D'Ella, and Trek Road Bike. I built the D'ella from a frame and bought the other 3 complete. My Zion SS has had a fork change and occassionally has gears; My Cowan isn't finished yet but was bought as a frame.