Quantcast

Your experience with Spinergy wheels?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Have any of you used Spinergy wheels for downhill/freeride/All Mountain?

I am thinking about getting a set. What is your experience with the company/products?

I got to see a set this weekend at a local race and I was pretty impressed with the weight and the look of them. The rider said the wheels are really solid and low maintenance. I was just looking for some more input from other peoples experience with them.

http://www.spinergy.com/Bicycle/default.aspx

:cheers:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Great wheels, but a few caveats.

the spokes are crazy light, but the rims are reinforced to deal with the higher tensions. The spokes are fairly succeptable to damage through contact, which of course only makes sense.

When they do get loose (and they will) they are difficult to tension, compared to a standard wheel. Also, it only takes a small loss of tension to affect the wheel, since the spokes are so flexible.

the hubs are killer. They work perfectly, and sound great.

If they are cheap, go for it. That said, even a cheap set of Spinergies is in the pricerange of a really nice set of standard wheels. Hadley/Hope hubs, maybe standard I9 hubs, and mavic rims are the way to go I'd say.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the input. =] More to consider for sure. I have read a few reviews on mtbr from guys that are 200+lbs and they seem to be pretty happy with them.

Anyone else?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
a buddy has been running a set for a couple years now. been problem free. the rims are heavy though (doubletracks). they do look cool: