Quantcast

Your favorite race course in US

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Anybody remember the "Wet N' Wild" zone at the old Snowshoe National that was right under the lift? You can still see it when you're riding the chair back up, and for some reason, it doesn't look as intimidating as it did when it was actually marked.

flowtron

Chimp
Aug 21, 2006
Denver
Durango
The Bullit @ Mammoth
Moab Rim (The last MSC and UT races with the singletrack first half)
Deer Valley the past few years

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Without a doubt, the lamest track ever put forth to racing.
If I remember correctly, it was greasy as hell too. So, maybe that did not help the "speed" factor. Not the lamest track ever tought...

How 'bout Snoqualmie Pass (don't remember if it was a Norba or a World Cup) that one was pretty hardcore too.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
cant rank em very well but a list in no particular order is:
Schwietzer
Deer Valley
MSA (america Junior, not quite US)
Northstar Pro/Ex courses (cant wait)
CHDH in the dry.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
1.) Beaver Meadows(Ft Collins, CO) Collegiate race 2006
2.) Angel Fire Old Top course mixed with the WC bottom
3.) Brian Head UT
4.) Durango
5.) Anything @ Platty!
Those are the ones that directly come to mind, but opinions could change from day to day. I just like riding!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I am stoked Whiteface made it on this list.
We our making some awesome improvements to last years course.
The wood chips are still there but for those of you that did the W'face 5 K DH last year imagine a huge berm(30 feet long and a few feet high) just above the wood chips, that launches you over the headwall.
This years 5 K DH will be on 9-2-07.

Wait to you see our race course for The River Otter Classic on 10-7-07.
10 minute downhill course as requested.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Gotta agree with alot of what has been posted already........Crystal Mtn always looked amazing in the old videos!!! I still drool over the thought of that course!!!

That said, the best I have ever ridden was the old national course at Snowshoe......especially when it was crazy muddy. Living there for several years helped cut my teeth on technical muddy conditions......the "wild zone" was actually much easier than the lower rock gardens in the wet.

Any east coasters/mid atlantic guys remember the old Whitetail courses (like '98 through '00)??? Will always dream of riding that old stuff again, always dry, rocky, and a blast........even on my hardtail! Those were the days!!

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
That's my vote........sport/beginners only rode the bottom 2/3rds but it was incredible....

Was my first DH race and it changed my life forever.....
That '98 course was awesome. I just wish I could ride that again with 10 years under my belt and a DH rig. I raced that in '98 on a bike that is considered a XC bike today!

The next courses I would have to say is older Pkill courses of late 90's, early 2000's. That one triple drop course made me crap my boxxers a few times.

Next, would be the old Snowshoe national course. Even the sport course was awesome!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I liked Brian Head, Utah in 2006 the most out the courses I've raced. Fast, rocky, kept you on your toes.
I'll agree. I had just moved up to expert for this one. In practice, about 2 hours before my race run, I crashed so hard in the rock section that I severed my brake hose . Managed to find another pre-bled Hayes rear... :biggrin:

I love that course. It took everything I had to hold it together while still being really fun.

And Brian Head has GREAT dirt. :thumb:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I'll agree. I had just moved up to expert for this one. In practice, about 2 hours before my race run, I crashed so hard in the rock section that I severed my brake hose . Managed to find another pre-bled Hayes rear... :biggrin:

I love that course. It took everything I had to hold it together while still being really fun.

And Brian Head has GREAT dirt. :thumb:
that rock garden sure was fun! even though i crashed in my race run in the rock garden. dooh.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
1. 1998 Mt Snow pro/expert course. hands down best course i've ever touched.
2. US Open. (WOO HOO i'm leaving for it in 44 hours!!!!!!)
3. 2000 Plattekill Extreme Hang Time (the one with the wooden rung ladder you had to cross after the 6 foot steep to 90 deg turn)
4. Massanutten. don't know why i've missed this race so many times in the past.
5. 1999 Mt Snow. the introduction of yard sale and it rained(which if i remember correctly was originally named "the elevator shaft" until everyone broke themselves off in it hahaha)