Quantcast

Your take on gripshifters, or...?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
...an alternative to my constantly-breaking X7 shifters. A really frustrating issue, losing gear choices at the beginning of a ride. This is SOMEHOW the 3rd friggin time I've managed to break my rear X7 shifter. Seems like it always happens when I slide out really hard onto the drive side. I don't know what it's catching on, but it's pissing me off!
Running a Boxxer with 28" wide Azonic B52 bars. I have smaller hands so I have to mount them nearly straight down so I can reach them. But still don't see what they'd be catching on. I'm sure it's rocks or something, but I can't really change anything anyway.
Gripshifters look like they'd be awfully hard to break, but I'm pretty wary. The last gripshift I ran was back in the early 90s, so I KNOW things have gotten better. Like, hopefully they don't still change 6 gears and back on each jump or pump? I think I'd actually like being able to grab a fist full of shifter and slam it through the gears.
Or what about the X9s? Think the replaceable mount would break first, or rip the bolt out of the housing and simply cost me a more expensive shifter?
:help:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How exactly are they breaking?

These days, grip shift vs trigger is more just a matter of personal preference IMO. I've been thinking about giving them a whirl too.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have x.0 grip shifters on my xc bike. they're nice sometimes, although since getting the x.o trigger shifter on my dh bike, I prefer the triggers.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I am thinking of going gripshift actually. I currently have a code lever with a matchmaker/X.0 shifter and don't really like the compromised position of the shifter relative to how I can space out the lever. The gripshifter is less intrusive, lighter and might work better for my application as the lever is then not tied to the shifter any longer. Just an idea but I think it might work better for me.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've got a gripshift on my bike. Works great. I think I got 2 years out of the last one? 1 at least. They aren't that hard to get used to. Don't use the "grip shift" length lock on grips. The inner clamp tends to irritate my hands. I just cut down a full size one and only used one clamp. It seems to hold just fine. Plus I have a bigger surface for my hand, so less of it (maybe none) is on the actually grip shift so its hard to accidentally shift. But ya being ridiculously tall I used to have the tendency to bang my shifter (x7 actually) and just break the pod right off from the clamp. Nothing of the sort with my gripshift. And I think they're cheaper (mine is only $20 a pop)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
How exactly are they breaking?

These days, grip shift vs trigger is more just a matter of personal preference IMO. I've been thinking about giving them a whirl too.
Hey there, Bacon Boy!
I'm breaking it right off the mount. So now I have 3 basically brand new shifters that are completely useless! Not like the internals ever go bad, so not like I will ever get to use them for that...

Perhaps I'm subconciously breaking themn off on purpose and I've actually been wanting gripshifters...so I can BRAAAAAAP sh*t! I'd be flying down the track rippin back and forth through the gears for no apparent reason!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm usually the grumpy old bastard of a group ride, but I've been running gripshifters right on through since about '92 on all of my bikes. They'll wear out over time (like . . . 8 or 9 years' time), but they're super durable and resistant to crashes. Every once in a while I'll snap one at the arm where the cable enters the shifter body, but that's a rare occassion. On the other hand, I cracked the casing of the grip shifter on my DH bike 3 years ago on a nasty OTB crash in Whistler (down one of those super steep rock faces on Upper Joyride), and it still shifts flawlessly to this day.

Say what you want about trigger shifters, but the amount of abuse gripshifters can take before biting the dust is pretty impressive.

--JP

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I'm usually the grumpy old bastard of a group ride, but I've been running gripshifters right on through since about '92 on all of my bikes. They'll wear out over time (like . . . 8 or 9 years' time), but they're super durable and resistant to crashes. Every once in a while I'll snap one at the arm where the cable enters the shifter body, but that's a rare occassion. On the other hand, I cracked the casing of the grip shifter on my DH bike 3 years ago on a nasty OTB crash in Whistler (down one of those super steep rock faces on Upper Joyride), and it still shifts flawlessly to this day.

Say what you want about trigger shifters, but the amount of abuse gripshifters can take before biting the dust is pretty impressive.

--JP
I agree. Mine is from 98' & still works great. The only reason I'll be changing it is for a 9 speed one. I use a full lock on grip too, I hate those shorty ones. Theres plenty of room on dh bars.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've run gripshifters since introduction in the mid-90s. And I still have a working pair of X-Rays (although not currently on a bike). It's just become what I'm used to. And their durability is a huge plus. I tried to run a trigger a few years ago, but a relatively minor crash resulted in a broken lever (which never would've happened with a twist shifter). I thought that I'd maybe try triggers again this season, but I decided to stay with what works for me. Plus, I found new X-7 (9spd) right-hand shifters for $5 this Winter and I stocked up on them.

toby

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey there, Bacon Boy!
I'm breaking it right off the mount. So now I have 3 basically brand new shifters that are completely useless! Not like the internals ever go bad, so not like I will ever get to use them for that...

Perhaps I'm subconciously breaking themn off on purpose and I've actually been wanting gripshifters...so I can BRAAAAAAP sh*t! I'd be flying down the track rippin back and forth through the gears for no apparent reason!
If its breaking at the mount, it might just be mounted down too tightly. I (and a lot of people I know) run the clamps on shifters and brake levers semi-loose; tight enough that they won't move when you're using them, but loose enough that they'll rotate around the bar when you fall (instead of breaking off).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If its breaking at the mount, it might just be mounted down too tightly. I (and a lot of people I know) run the clamps on shifters and brake levers semi-loose; tight enough that they won't move when you're using them, but loose enough that they'll rotate around the bar when you fall (instead of breaking off).
Ding Ding Ding. Dont tighten them so tight, Most shifter that customers installed themselves that come into the shop are too tight, its really easy to overtighten them. Like JK said, just tight enough so they dont move when you use them, but just loose enough so if you hit them, they will rotate

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

--JP
hell yeah! 5 years on a beat to hell pair of xo twisters and they're still going strong, flawless shifting, all the time......and you can run through a whole range of gears, up or down, with a flick of the wrist...

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
And this is why I'll no longer run gripshift. You obviously can't run gripshift shifter like this, so if/when you wreck and your brake levers are semi-loose they end up snapping the adjusting barrels on the shifters as they rotate.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
And this is why I'll no longer run gripshift. You obviously can't run gripshift shifter like this, so if/when you wreck and your brake levers are semi-loose they end up snapping the adjusting barrels on the shifters as they rotate.
Not sure what the hell you're talking about. My gripshifters never move under 'wrist strength', but I'm easily able to tighten them to a point where they will rotate in a crash situation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
couldn't you just mount the shifter in a manner that the barrel adjusted is out of the impact zone for a fall? I know you wouldn't be able to see the indicator, but it might help with the problem.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
couldn't you just mount the shifter in a manner that the barrel adjusted is out of the impact zone for a fall? I know you wouldn't be able to see the indicator, but it might help with the problem.
That sounds like it would work also. Not that it matters for me, I last ran gripshift almost 10 years ago now.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
GripShift + Mud Glove = Bad combination.
This is a definate issue. Especially considering that mud is my absolute favorite condition to ride in hands down... damn. Almost tried something new..then logic brought me back.

And as for mounting them too tight? Not the problem. In fact, yesterday before I broke the thing I was trying for the 50th time to make a mental note to tighten the rear shifter a touch as it kept moving under/forward when I shifted up. I was actually trying to figure out if having them mounted too LOOSE was the problem...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
This is a definate issue. Especially considering that mud is my absolute favorite condition to ride in hands down... damn. Almost tried something new..then logic brought me back.
If that worries you, I've seen guys do things to compensate. A zip tie or two on the shifter helps to dig into the glove if you need it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You would want to set your grip shifter just like you would your thumb shifters, just tight enough to stay still, but loose enough that if the brake lever rolls into it, then it will move with it instead of breaking

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Oh Oh Oh, back to the original question. Grip shifters work just fine, Most everyone I have seen that are broken are from someone misinstalling a cable, or working on it improperly.

I dont run them, cause I dont like how they feel. there dependable, they work if you like them they are great.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, I strayed from the unknown and picked up a set of X-9 shifters with the Matchmaker mounts. Gonna give them a wack and see how they work...again. Maybe I'll mount it all with plastic bolts or something. Guess I could just quit crashing. It's not really as fun as everyone makes it out to be anyway... :)

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI

And as for mounting them too tight? Not the problem. In fact, yesterday before I broke the thing I was trying for the 50th time to make a mental note to tighten the rear shifter a touch as it kept moving under/forward when I shifted up. I was actually trying to figure out if having them mounted too LOOSE was the problem...
I've got an older set ('04-'05) of XO grip shifters sitting in the garage cabinet. If you are still wanting to try grip shifters out, shoot me a pm with your address and I'll ship'em out to ya for nothing. Or, maybe if you can hook me up with a Six Feet Deep Clothing sticker......

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I would be running twist shifters on a few bikes right now if anyone on the market was still making long enough brake levers. The Sram twisters are designed around Hayes mag levers... anything shorter than that (which would be frustratingly, everything) makes it impossible for someone with my size hands (kids large/ adult XS) to reach the brake levers from the end of the bar...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I would be running twist shifters on a few bikes right now if anyone on the market was still making long enough brake levers. The Sram twisters are designed around Hayes mag levers... anything shorter than that (which would be frustratingly, everything) makes it impossible for someone with my size hands (kids large/ adult XS) to reach the brake levers from the end of the bar...
Try the new strokers, not a real long lever, but it doesnt need to be. One finger braking, thats all you need

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
After snapping my FD shifter, I replaced it with a grip shifter adn I have never looked back. I run a trigger for the RD and a grip for the FD. I like the fact that you can make micro-adjustments with the grip shifter. I also run a full length grip on that side with the shifter mounted well in on the bar - that way there are no accidental mid-air-death-grip shifts. Actually, it is for just that reason that I woud hesitate to run one on the rear. I'd be too worried about accidentally shifting while mid-air or in one of those white knuckle moments and thus adding to an already hariy situation.