Quantcast

Zoke stem and carbon bar ponderings.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So, last night, I put a new FSA carbon DH bar on my bike.
I had found out that they make an oversized one, and I would not have to use the red spacers on my 888 stem.
However, I had already ordered the regular size bar.
So, as I was putting it on, it seems to me that using the spacers is actually a better, maybe even stronger, way of holding the bar.
With the spacers, there is much wider clamping area that spreads even force throughout. Without the spacers, it has two separate clamps that hold the bar. I am sure that both ways will work well, but with a carbon bar, it seems better/safer with the spacers. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just wrong?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I'd run it with a standard bar too, oversize will probably be stronger, but if you overtighten one of those little clamps you might as well throw the bar away. Those clamps don't have a chamfer on the edges do they?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by ssaddict
I'd run it with a standard bar too, oversize will probably be stronger, but if you overtighten one of those little clamps you might as well throw the bar away. Those clamps don't have a chamfer on the edges do they?
No, they felt smooth to me.
I watch my CF-1 closely on my trail bike with the Thomson.
Especially considering that thing is too light to work as a paperweight.;)

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Jeremy R
No, they felt smooth to me.
I watch my CF-1 closely on my trail bike with the Thomson.
Especially considering that thing is too light to work as a paperweight.;)
According to an Easton rep they recommend filling a little of chamfer or rounding off the edges of the Thomson stem clamps because the are so sharp. Over tighten them and they can cut right through a bar.

I had and this happen long ago with nice sharp CNC brake lever which I accidently over tightned and cut 1/2 the bar during a ride, never did fail and fall off till I took a saw to it when I got home. And that was a Klein 90g carbon bar. :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by ssaddict
I am also skepticle about carbon bars, but don't think I should be. I added a chamfer to the spacers on my Shiver integrated stem just cuz I was worried that b/c the stem was so wide, it might put too much pressure on a thinner part of the bar. Again, probably me just being paranoid.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
its better to be safe than sorry, i always file the edges of the clamping areas no matter what the material of the bar, i dont like to take any chances with that area of the bike, any failures in that area almost always result in massive pain.