Quantcast

•• Tuesday GMT ••

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nick you really need to go back to sleep.

I am sitting waiting for my insurance company to call back. All this time I have to waste because some other people kids can't behave and fucks up my shit is frustrating.

Ticked off the paella box last night. Not the most amazing one but good enough for me. I am not really a foodie so convenience can be better than chasing down the perfect meal.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Slept badly and barely managed to cool the house down last night, going to be very hot the next couple of days so that's sub-optimal.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Starting to get bids back from concrete contractors to pour us a nice stamped and stained concrete patio. Of note, we have a 10’ x 12’ hole with roughly broken up concrete (used to be a root cellar) sitting in the middle of the 15’ x 30’ area we want the patio, so that needs filled and stabilized.

Anycrap, first guy came back and said we’re looking at a $13k job. He’s an engineer that does concrete as a side hustle, and I believe his priority is making sure the hole filled with broken concrete doesn’t become a long term issue.

Second guy sent preliminary numbers over and he’s at $6k but without the color. He said he’d have to adjust the numbers when we pick a color. His approach to the old root cellar is to fill it with a big flow concrete. This guy is a true concrete guy, it’s all he does. Not a side hustle. Now, I can’t imagine that color will add another $7k, so why is guy #1 so freaking high?

Interested to hear what guy #3 comes back with.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
damn mosquito bites on my arms from the weekend are still itching. on a high note my lover back is almost back to normal. Made dough for bread last night, good gluten development, I have it out in the camper fridge slow fermenting, tomorrow we bake

Espresso then off to the Delta I go

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Mom had her second eye surgery yesterday. We went to the eye doctor today to get the bandage removed and her eyesight is much improved although the eye is still swollen from the surgery. Yessssss! :banana:
She will never see perfect again, but by the looks of it she can avoid being fully blind for a couple of years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I decided to file the insurance claim on the car today for hail damage, then looked at some more stuff for damage to the house for hail and tornado related damage. Patio furniture is now textured and the framing around all the windows on the back of the house is golf ball textured. So much for trying to get a new insurance company when my last claim falls off in December. Depending on how bad this ends up shaking out, I have a feeling State Farm is going to boot us. I'm spending way too much time with insurance companies lately.

I got a call from the insurance company about the kart late yesterday. Much to my, the shop, and the claims guy's surprise, they are covering a large portion of the kart replacement. After his submission, when they did their research, it came back to "the partial product (frame alone) is no longer available in the US; the only option is full replacement". There was depreciation written into it and a bunch of stuff that will need to be paid for due to it being a different manufacturer with parts that can't be transferred, but they are covering a lot of it. Haley was lucky enough to get a lot of support from an amazing family friend, which helped her get into the new kart right away. That plus the remaining amount from the insurance company will leave just enough to get her a new set of tires (one new set for each remaining race now) and couple of 1-1 coaching sessions (vs. shadowing) from the shop owner.

The dozen plus mini seizures were definitely not worth it, but I'm glad it's all over. I'm surprisingly less stressed about my car and the house, however the hell that works out. I guess having Haley being held back from being able to race and practice was more of a stress causer that I would have ever imagined.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Starting to get bids back from concrete contractors to pour us a nice stamped and stained concrete patio. Of note, we have a 10’ x 12’ hole with roughly broken up concrete (used to be a root cellar) sitting in the middle of the 15’ x 30’ area we want the patio, so that needs filled and stabilized.

Anycrap, first guy came back and said we’re looking at a $13k job. He’s an engineer that does concrete as a side hustle, and I believe his priority is making sure the hole filled with broken concrete doesn’t become a long term issue.

Second guy sent preliminary numbers over and he’s at $6k but without the color. He said he’d have to adjust the numbers when we pick a color. His approach to the old root cellar is to fill it with a big flow concrete. This guy is a true concrete guy, it’s all he does. Not a side hustle. Now, I can’t imagine that color will add another $7k, so why is guy #1 so freaking high?

Interested to hear what guy #3 comes back with.
Engineering isn't cheap...

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Coffee, WFH this morning. Currently have a number of lines in the ol' job pond. Still not 100% sure I want to actually start a position with a new company, but the hunt fills me with optimism.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Two possibilities:
  1. He doesn't want to do it
  2. He actually knows what he's doing
What sort of engineer is he?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hi all

:wavingkitty.gif:

I am working from le hospital today. Tuesday == pancreatic cancer noon conference day.

Slept badly and barely managed to cool the house down last night, going to be very hot the next couple of days so that's sub-optimal.
meanwhile down on the plains I added a window AC to the little kids' room (Midea 12k BTU U-shaped inverter, on sale at Costco but not at moment), am adding one to our bedroom (GE Clearview reverse U shaped inverter, also 12k BTU, Amazon), and also adding one to the R-19-insulated garage for good measure (Midea 12k BTU normal box shaped inverter unit, with a heat pump so as to minimize resistive heater use in winter months).

our properly sized via Manual J 2.5 ton central AC + realities of physics with a single zone setup means bedrooms are hotter: true story.
different city and different specifics of the job + no color or texture, but here's potentially useful context

concrete.PNG

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What sort of engineer is he?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That’s not entirely true. He does engineering for a construction company, I assume for buildings and such. But really, I don’t know.

different city and different specifics of the job + no color or texture, but here's potentially useful context

View attachment 196834
Possibly useful. I need to actually dig in to the specifics of the bids. At the moment, Guy #1 has only given me a rough estimate of price, no details. Guy #2 sent an actual estimate late last night, I need to check out the details.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey girl hey

waffling replacement tires for my roadbike. I have cream skinwalls on there now and I'm not sure I love the look, even though it's on trend. Replacing one would be cheaper than replacing both, especially if it's for a dumb reason like looks. Still, now is the best opportunity to black out everything. I love the way these tires ride btw, GP5000 with latex FTW