Quantcast

•• Tuesday GMT ••

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That’s not entirely true. He does engineering for a construction company, I assume for buildings and such. But really, I don’t know.
I was wrong, he works for a civil engineering firm. So now I assume he's a civil engineer? Anyways, he's going to send an actual estimate that breaks out what the heck he wants $13k for.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I was wrong, he works for a civil engineering firm. So now I assume he's a civil engineer? Anyways, he's going to send an actual estimate that breaks out what the heck he wants $13k for.
My guess would have been civil, structural or possibly even geotechnical if he claims to have any specific expertise on this. Civil is probably a safe assumption if he works for a civil firm, and if that's the case, he probably knows a thing or two about subgrade compaction and prep for flatwork, paving, etc. Do you know for a fact that's he licensed, or an EIT (engineer in training)?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My guess would have been civil, structural or possibly even geotechnical if he claims to have any specific expertise on this. Civil is probably a safe assumption if he works for a civil firm, and if that's the case, he probably knows a thing or two about subgrade compaction and prep for flatwork, paving, etc. Do you know for a fact that's he licensed, or an EIT (engineer in training)?
I don’t know for a fact, but my sense is licensed. I’m super curious to see his full estimate, and to see if it the difference in price is the prep. When I talked with him about the project and he inspected the site, his suggestions weren’t really any different than the other two guys I’ve talked with. They’re all basically like “fill it with road base and pack the shit out of it.”

I actually wonder if the difference will be in materials. The other two guys only do concrete, and have contracts with the city and the area schools. So they’re using a lot of concrete, all the time, and maybe get a better price? The engineer is doing concrete as a side hustle, and might not get as good of a price. Also, maybe he marks up the cost of materials more than the other guys?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I don’t know for a fact, but my sense is licensed. I’m super curious to see how full estimate, and to see if it the difference in price is the prep. When I talked with him about the project and he inspected the site, his suggestions weren’t really any different than the other two guys I’ve talked with. They’re all basically like “fill it with road base and pack the shit out of it.”
I'm just wondering if he's factoring his time as a licensed engineer into the proposal, or maybe there's some requirement with the local jurisdiction that the work be permitted or inspected, and he's including time/fees for that.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
[mic drop] 84% on that one. Second hardest of the practice tests. Next hardest will be in a few hours, but I might push to tomorrow am. Hannah told someone at school she was going to kill them, so our afternoon schedule just blew up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The swallows under gate 8 are getting super aggressive. I got repeatedly dive bombed while walking by. They must have a nest, or are perhaps protecting a coconut?
oh, that's where they migrated to after leaving my mountain house

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
is she at the wookie development stage where she can rip peoples arms out?
Not yet, but she's about 3" taller than everybody else her age and has been doing gymnastics for over a year. So she's just as much of a ball of muscle as Haley.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Insurance estimate guy is here looking at the house right now. Apparently one of the worst that he's seen since the tornado (who would have guessed?). Everything on the back of the house (where tornado came from) is done - windows, bunch of siding, gutters/downpipes, roof, heaters, deck furnishings, and he is assuming the deck but wants to have someone else come look to confirm.

Wifey is not happy. Really doesn't want the house to be a construction zone again.

Dandy that we get to modernize everything, since that's what we pay a lot of insurance for. But can we please stop?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Insurance estimate guy is here looking at the house right now. Apparently one of the worst that he's seen since the tornado (who would have guessed?). Everything on the back of the house (where tornado came from) is done - windows, bunch of siding, gutters/downpipes, roof, heaters, deck furnishings, and he is assuming the deck but wants to have someone else come look to confirm.

Wifey is not happy. Really doesn't want the house to be a construction zone again.

Dandy that we get to modernize everything, since that's what we pay a lot of insurance for. But can we please stop?
we don't have hail, but we have humidity

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's a patio slab. Ain't none engineering shit. They are just going to follow what they think is a best practice. If he is engineering shit he would probably want to dig out that pit and fill it with a known material as it is hard to calculate "junk in a hole" and engineering calcs and drawings should be deliverables and would cost you 3 times as much.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
It's a patio slab. Ain't none engineering shit. They are just going to follow what they think is a best practice.
Agree.

If he is engineering shit he would probably want to dig out that pit and fill it with a known material as it is hard to calculate "junk in a hole" and engineering calcs and drawings should be deliverables and would cost you 3 times as much.
When he first had a look at the job site and saw the hole filled with broken concrete, he did mention that his "engineering brain wants to pull all the broken concrete out and fill it with road base" but after we chatted for a while he decided that just breaking up the top foot or so of into smaller bits, then filling with road base and packing the shit out of it would be JUST FINE. But even that "extra" labor shouldn't be no freaking $7k.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FT, why don't you rent some power tools, break up that top layer, and fill the hole with road base to make it level... then get simple concrete quotes to go over the top of that? hide the skeletons.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
League night. Haley qualified first and finished first, substantially off the front in both races. She was really pissed off about last month and was quite clear that she didn't want to not be first again.

More study.

Last edited: