Quantcast

◇☆ Goddam Toozday GMT ☆◇

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
what kind of riding?
trail riding.
Looooooong semi-technical climbing, fast descents. My ratio of climb/dh in time spent is like 70/30. I'm a very capable technical climber, but aren't feeling as strong these days. I've always hated riding anything techncial, super rough while clipped in, but damn if the climbing wasn't more efficient (when I wasn't crashing still clipped in like a beater)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
trail riding.
Looooooong semi-technical climbing, fast descents. My ratio of climb/dh in time spent is like 70/30. I'm a very capable technical climber, but aren't feeling as strong these days. I've always hated riding anything techncial, super rough while clipped in, but damn if the climbing wasn't more efficient (when I wasn't crashing still clipped in like a beater)
i'm in the market for new shoes for similar style riding as well. I'm looking at the shimano ME7 and ME5.

This east coast shit be EARLY.
Suck it up, princess...

Weather continues to be quite perfect here in Philadelphia.

Apparently Revenge of the Cheesesteaks is a thing. :think:
You deserve exactly everything Philly delivers to you. :busted:

Another day of dancing with building contractors, such as they are these days... plus dancing with lawyers regarding H's mother's fucking nest of trusts...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My Outlook stopped working on Wednesday and hasn't worked since. It looks like it committed suicide. This is a big problem if they cannot get it working again with my folders...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been running the Shimano AM7 for the past few months.

I've been thouroughly impressed. Comfortable, durable, stiff, reasonably priced (at least they were when I bought them from CRC)... I highly recommend.

I think these are stiffer than the ME-5 and 7s linked above. I had ME-3 before, and the rubber was coming off the bottom of the sole. I'm not sure why, but I get the sense these will not have the same problem. They're also built on a slightly wider last that the MEs, and so I don't have to upsize to get a comfortable fit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another day, another lap of Mountain Lion in the books. I cleaned every last feature on the first climb through the fire road, including the super steep section right off the lot! There’s another section shortly thereafter, too, where they blocked off the low line (rightly) and now the upper line over big roots is quite challenging but demonstrably doable.

With no traffic it’s 42 minutes door to lot for me, which is well worth the extra 15 minutes or so compared to White Ranch, IMO.

(That said there are usually goobers slowing down traffic on the canyon roads. Pull off already!)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been running the Shimano AM7 for the past few months.

I've been thouroughly impressed. Comfortable, durable, stiff, reasonably priced (at least they were when I bought them from CRC)... I highly recommend.

I think these are stiffer than the ME-5 and 7s linked above. I had ME-3 before, and the rubber was coming off the bottom of the sole. I'm not sure why, but I get the sense these will not have the same problem. They're also built on a slightly wider last that the MEs, and so I don't have to upsize to get a comfortable fit.
I'd consider the AM series but I already have flat spd shoes (5.10 Raven) and need something trail orientated.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not bitter! Just stating the obvious for cheap kicks :D
Next time we do Mountain Lion you are welcome to session that climb on the e-bike. Dinner on me if you get it in less than 5 tries. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
rode em until 2007 or so, then switched to flats and never looked back. but i, for one, embrace my talentless hackiness.
This. Rode bear-traps for a couple years early on... then clipless for 20-ish years. Then about 5y back switched to flats and my clipless shoes have been gathering dust since.

But I'm no evangelist - I just like 'em.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
trail riding.
Try running your clipless pedals with lower tension. Like just slightly tighter than the point where they would accidentally release. You'll be able to put a foot down almost as fast as flats. I never did like roadie tight pedals either.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
trail riding.
Still rocking those 5.Ten's from you. Work well, comfy, and good when you don't get your feet back on.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just managed to ride a trainer for 5 minutes at a max cadence of about 25rpm.

Doesn't sound like much, but I completely exploded my knee two months ago. 8 hour surgery that took 79 staples to close up to put in 4 plates and 22 screws. 4 days in the hospital post op. On opiates for more than a month, and still in a ton of pain through that. PT 2-3x per week and a couple hours every day working on it on my own. Today was the first time that I managed enough range of motion to pedal a full stroke, and I am STOKED.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd consider the AM series but I already have flat spd shoes (5.10 Raven) and need something trail orientated.
I use my AMs for trail riding. FWIW, Shimano rates the AM7 at the same stiffness as the ME5. (althought the ME7 are rated at 8 on the Shimano stiffness scale)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
for the terrain i ride i want/need something lugged.
makes sense. I've slid a couple of times trying to hike in deep mud.

FWIW, I was fairly disappointed by the ME3s I have. The rubber lugs started coming off the outsole within a season and a half. The upper was started separating from the sole in 2 seasons. I glued them back together a few times using marine epoxy, which added another 6 months to the shoes.

IME, Specialized xc shoes offer really good value for money - especially if you can get them on sale. Unfortunately, my local Spesh dealer has pretty much stopped carrying high-end mtb stuff. They can order it for me, but then it's not on sale...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
makes sense. I've slid a couple of times trying to hike in deep mud.

FWIW, I was fairly disappointed by the ME3s I have. The rubber lugs started coming off the outsole within a season and a half. The upper was started separating from the sole in 2 seasons. I glued them back together a few times using marine epoxy, which added another 6 months to the shoes.
what year model did you have? the 2019 ME5's and ME7's both have the michelin rubber soles. the lower models dont. and i think the michelin sole was added to the ME5's for this year (prior to that it was only the ME7's)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IME, Specialized xc shoes offer really good value for money - especially if you can get them on sale. Unfortunately, my local Spesh dealer has pretty much stopped carrying high-end mtb stuff. They can order it for me, but then it's not on sale...
the shoes i have that i'm looking to replace/retire are specialized. they are at least 10 years old. probably more like 12. they're not horrible, but i'm not keen on giving specialized any more money.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
shoes need to be moderately stiff but not carbon/rigid. If I'm walking something, you can bet it's all rock. I'm trying another pair of 5.10. stay tuned for a lightly used pair in about 50-60 days from now :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
what year model did you have? the 2019 ME5's and ME7's both have the michelin rubber soles. the lower models dont. and i think the michelin sole was added to the ME5's for this year (prior to that it was only the ME7's)
Probably 2015 or 2016?. I think it's more of a function of how they are designed/constructed - the rubber is soft and glued to the sole. walking on slippery off-camber rocks puts a lot of sideways stress on the lugs, which then tend to tear away from the sole. The Specialized soles are harder and the lugs are part of the sole, that way they can't rip off (I think Giro and Lake are like this too). That's just my theory though, I haven't really looked at the slipper-style shoes in a while!

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
had a time of it recently

went to beach with GF and family, felt kinda of weird for the last 30 mins of drive down, thought it was the lack of sleep feeling that I had for a few months prior

driving back from beach, all of this anexiety / other thoughts come back, feel like passing out, pull over into small town, get some asprin at a gas station, try to get back onto interstate, feeling of faint / anexiety returns, pull over and wait at a small flower shop for 3 hours while my parents come get me and drive me home.

did some small cleaning things today, but feel like a dump