Quantcast

♋︎♋︎♋︎ Tuesday ♋︎♋︎♋︎

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Debating buying a fancy new bass. One one hand, I don't need it. On the other hand, I don't not need it.
Of course my alternative is to get a bunch of new synth modules and effects pedals.
Clearly the answer is to do both.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Neighbor's are vegetarians, but their son was in town from grad school and he eats meat, he's since left and they gave me the 20lbs of various steaks they'd bought but which weren't consumed. Googled the company and they were pretty fancy sounding beef, cooked up a couple last night, perfect medium rare, worst fucking steak I've ever tasted. Only way to describe them is a tougher version of McDonalds hamburger patties, my fat dogs are going to get a bit fatter I guess

As if Twitter hasn't been run by narcissistic billionaires since the IPO, and narcissistic poor people prior to the IPO. To assume Elon will make twitter bad is to assume it was ever good, that is a false assumption IME. The only thing this potentially changes is how quickly it gets worse, Twitter has been on the highway to terrible for years now, I'm not sure why we care if they're obeying the speed limit of if they're in Plaid mode. China's newfound influence over Twitter via Tesla will be interesting to watch.

Also, not to sound too much like your crazy uncle in the tinfoil underwear, but billionaires of questionable intent owning media outlets is a centuries old thing, at least Musk is semi transparent with his leanings making it a bit harder to miss when we're being purposefully mislead as a means to an end.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As if Twitter hasn't been run by narcissistic billionaires since the IPO, and narcissistic poor people prior to the IPO. To assume Elon will make twitter bad is to assume it was ever good, that is a false assumption IME.
:stupid:

Propaganda spreading, narcissistic trash, since it's inception. Time has changed nothing, and it will only continue down this path. Who "owns" it is irrelevant to it's continuing retrograde influence on both democracy and the human race as a whole.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like twitter primarily for local news and cycling related updates. I love that I can choose to give a voice in my feed to people who I respect and find relevant to me. I try not to follow the big/psycho names out there...which is my main concern. Are we going to get trumpster fire back so he can hurl homophobic slurs around? Can we not? I feel like, if anything, tweeter needs more moderation not less....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I like twitter primarily for local news and cycling related updates. I love that I can choose to give a voice in my feed to people who I respect and find relevant to me. I try not to follow the big/psycho names out there...which is my main concern. Are we going to get trumpster fire back so he can hurl homophobic slurs around? Can we not? I feel like, if anything, tweeter needs more moderation not less....
Not sure I agree on moderation. I want people to stop being biggoted assholes, not just stop being biggoted assholes here. I'm not convinced banning/moderation does anything other than push them further away from sanity, in fact I'm certain compartmentalization makes things worse. Look at Q Anon, it went from a goofy Redit sub to 8 Chan, and got loonier and loonier as it became more an more obscure, in effect distilling the crazy. Banning Trump from twitter only saved the people who hated him, but followed just to guffaw from seeing him in their feed. Didn't do dick to actually temper his influence, if anything it gave credence to his "help help, I'm being repressed" narrative. I've watched tons of people go from "But her emails" to full on Disney is a Jeffery Epstien child rape front for the illuminati to teach critical race theory while forcibly converting kindergarteners into trans athletes as they've migrated away from conservative Twitter and onto shit like Truth Social.

I don't for a second believe simply allowing unfettered free speech on twitter will solve anything on it's own, just that maybe it'll make things worse more slowly.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
This is right...

The racist stupidity is the problem, our medium du jour just highlights / amplifies it.

"Fake news" / yellow journalism is as old as the hills and has been baked into human culture since the first cavemen started to gossip...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure I agree on moderation. I want people to stop being biggoted assholes, not just stop being biggoted assholes here. I'm not convinced banning/moderation does anything other than push them further away from sanity, in fact I'm certain compartmentalization makes things worse. Look at Q Anon, it went from a goofy Redit sub to 8 Chan, and got loonier and loonier as it became more an more obscure, in effect distilling the crazy. Banning Trump from twitter only saved the people who hated him, but followed just to guffaw from seeing him in their feed. Didn't do dick to actually temper his influence, if anything it gave credence to his "help help, I'm being repressed" narrative. I've watched tons of people go from "But her emails" to full on Disney is a Jeffery Epstien child rape front for the illuminati to teach critical race theory while forcibly converting kindergarteners into trans athletes as they've migrated away from conservative Twitter and onto shit like Truth Social.

I don't for a second believe simply allowing unfettered free speech on twitter will solve anything on it's own, just that maybe it'll make things worse more slowly.
counterpoint: moderating this absurd content on large platforms prevents these conspiracy theories from being exposed to mainstream audiences and spreading. keeping them on the fringe sites like reddit / 4chan / etc keeps these kinds of hateful ideologies where they belong, on the fringe.

i agree with the sentiment of wanting people to stop being ignorant hateful dumpster fires, but i've seen enough history to know our species simply isn't capable of that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice lunch hour spin along the Sand Creek Greenway (and a bit of the Platte River Trail once it intersected that). Feels very remote even being not so far from home at all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
counterpoint: moderating this absurd content on large platforms prevents these conspiracy theories from being exposed to mainstream audiences and spreading. keeping them on the fringe sites like reddit / 4chan / etc keeps these kinds of hateful ideologies where they belong, on the fringe.

i agree with the sentiment of wanting people to stop being ignorant hateful dumpster fires, but i've seen enough history to know our species simply isn't capable of that.
I agree. If there was no fox news to teach your mom about didney wurl's jeffrey epstein-matt gaetz exchange hour, how would she know? My dad can barely figure out how to text message, he's not going on truth social or 8 chan.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nice lunch hour spin along the Sand Creek Greenway (and a bit of the Platte River Trail once it intersected that). Feels very remote even being not so far from home at all.

I have to ask: do you color coordinate with a bag of Skittles that you have with you? :D
Most pics of you are "colorful".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have to ask: do you color coordinate with a bag of Skittles that you have with you? :D
Most pics of you are "colorful".
Most of my riding shirts are orange or high-viz, and my panniers are clearly hi-viz. Being hit by a car once is enough. :)

(That said, my bike commute route these days is almost entirely protected, and for this lunch ride I was entirely on the greenway/multi-use path, so the only things to worry about were other cyclists and the odd homeless dude or three wandering about.)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Cops came by today. They were looking for me. I thought they may want more Chili Dogs with cheese this time. I tried to barricade myself. But as I was wholly unprepared for their arrival, they were able to get access to my house. No tactical equipment was used. And they seemed happy to see me. Even offered weaponless hands to greet me. After initial greetings. I wasn't thrown to the ground and cuffed. Always good. I explained that I don't have any Chili Dogs for them. They want me to consult with them over Bikes. And have a Bike Rodeo for the kids. I will even get paid for it. Always good. I am going to talk to them tomorrow. It's at 10:am. I am hoping that I can be a confidential informant also. Wouldn't it be great to be entered into the witness protection program? I would open a Bike shop in Idaho.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

My admittedly anecdotal observation is that pushing the crazy into harder to access corners of the internet may moderately reduce the people drinking the kool-aid, but those that do go from having a cup of it to beer-bonging crazy sauce. Net result is a much more dangerous situation even if fewer people are involved, when Obama stole the election as a Kenyan hired by China people bitched, when Joe Biden stole it they stormed the capital and handful of people got killed.

We're also assuming banning the propagators of conspiracy theories keeps their theories off twitter, which it seemingly does not.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:stupid:

Propaganda spreading, narcissistic trash, since it's inception. Time has changed nothing, and it will only continue down this path. Who "owns" it is irrelevant to it's continuing retrograde influence on both democracy and the human race as a whole.
besides....it is that chick mikas job on msnbc to tell us what to think....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My admittedly anecdotal observation is that pushing the crazy into harder to access corners of the internet may moderately reduce the people drinking the kool-aid, but those that do go from having a cup of it to beer-bonging crazy sauce. Net result is a much more dangerous situation even if fewer people are involved, when Obama stole the election as a Kenyan hired by China people bitched, when Joe Biden stole it they stormed the capital and handful of people got killed.
actually, the opposite holds true re: J6. the fact that those ideas were able to spread to such a mainstream audience enabled that to turn into the disaster it did. thousands of people turned up for it, and many times more agreed with their cause. to date there have been over 800 people charged, and there are new cases being filed weekly as evidence is continued to be reviewed.