Quantcast

01 Bullit Question?

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
So I've got an 01 bullit with the shorter Vanilla RC rear shock. Were there changes since then to to frame preventing running a 8.5" i2i shock like the newer ones or was the shuttle mounting location changed to give more room. Thanks.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you can use your frame and shuttle in the slack position, the 7in shuttles were a little different, 7in frames had straight seat tubes. the 8.5in shock just extends the swingarm out raising the BB.

what fork are you running? I had a 6in bullit and it felt best with a 6in fork.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i dont think there were any changes in the shock mounts. joel mentioned the shuttle but im not sure on that. i just dropped the 8.5i2i on my 04. to get the geo back to where it was with 7.875 i ran the shuttle in slack position. works fine

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
JRogers said:
Since '01, I believe the pivot location changed slightly. Also, there is definitely a different shock shuttle for the 8.5" i2i.

The pivot location did change slightly after 02 I believe. The new shuttle causes really no noticable change in geometry. I've got an old shuttle from 01, on an 04 front triangle, but I still use an 8.5" eye2eye Avalanche. I've tried the newer shuttles and it really makes no difference. I'm currently running a shuttle my friend made on a CNC machine, it slacks my bike out about 1 degree beyond the stock shuttle. The bad thing is that when I fully bottom out, the rear tire slightly rubs the seat tube. I only bottom out about 3 times a year though.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
kail said:
The pivot location did change slightly after 02 I believe. The new shuttle causes really no noticable change in geometry. I've got an old shuttle from 01, on an 04 front triangle, but I still use an 8.5" eye2eye Avalanche. I've tried the newer shuttles and it really makes no difference. I'm currently running a shuttle my friend made on a CNC machine, it slacks my bike out about 1 degree beyond the stock shuttle. The bad thing is that when I fully bottom out, the rear tire slightly rubs the seat tube. I only bottom out about 3 times a year though.
True, the new shuttle did not seem to make a much of a difference when riding...but then again, I can barely feel setup changes on any aspect of the bike, so I am not the best judge. I had an 01 bullit and an 03 and used 8.5" shocks on both at various points. The new shuttle looks like the old one but the end of it is bent slightly whereas the new one is straight. I talked to Santa Cruz when I did this. They said the geo would be the same with both shocks but the new shuttle would give the suspension a more neutral rate. I think that the longer shock makes the falling rate more pronounced. Look around here and you should be able to find a pic to compare pretty easily.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I've been through this sitation already. There is no change in the old mount location to the new. I've had both frames. You will get a variety of answers. But, I have a source that assured me there was an undetectable change if any. (he had frame plans...)

They do have two different shuttles. I prefer the newer since it can't slide on you. And it offsets the shock slightly (up or down depending on mount desired)

No reason you can't run a longer shock if you want. I personally just wouldn't see the need. Plenty of travel for FR type stuff. One inch additional travel is a detail compared to having the shock set up properly for your weight, style, useage.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
gmac said:
I've been through this sitation already. There is no change in the old mount location to the new. I've had both frames. You will get a variety of answers. But, I have a source that assured me there was an undetectable change if any. (he had frame plans...)

They do have two different shuttles. I prefer the newer since it can't slide on you. And it offsets the shock slightly (up or down depending on mount desired)

No reason you can't run a longer shock if you want. I personally just wouldn't see the need. Plenty of travel for FR type stuff. One inch additional travel is a detail compared to having the shock set up properly for your weight, style, useage.
I forgot about that. The new shuttle just has 2 different sets of bolt holes and not a sliding mount. The old one would slip on me in the higher/steeper setting.

And I agree, an inch of travel does not make a huge difference. However, almost any shock will be an improvement over the stock RC. I used an Avy and a 5th after the RC and both were a big improvement (liked the 5th the most).