Quantcast

010 Giant Glory DH, oooh thats a light one. HA is under 65*.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007

Coming in sub 15kg (14.9kg or 32.8lb) is my new Glory dh01. Too bad I put on 4 kg over christmas. Spec is basically the same as I had on my norco with wider al bars and a more cush seat. The manitou shock is yet to get a try out, its a bit of a muck around. But in the car park it feels much plusher than the vivid and roco air- which is surprising. I had to file the eyelet to make it fit, so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts before play develops- got it on clearout, so no biggie. It's going to gain a few more grams with the br-m810 brakes, which I can't go past for the crazy bite. Head angle is a shade under 65* and I am working with Works components to slacken that out some more. But it is not 65.5 like advertised. This is with 208mm boxxer upper exposed.

I have not been riding DH much so the parts have been holding up just fine. I'm still amazing by the stans flows which are still alive and now on their 3rd bike. I am also yet to get a proper flat, one cut from a rock sealed up pretty quick and only required some more air, but thats as close as I have come. Tubeless done right is awesome. My derailleur is a bit tweaked, so that is pissing me and the chain is rooted along with the rusted arse durace cassette. So that will get some work one day. Boxxers are clicking in the rebound too, so that will need the update fix as these were fist gen, just never really got to ride them.

Bike feels light for a dh rig, but still feels like a pig after coming off the reign x. Even though the reign now weighs more. And they both feel over built after ripping around on the xc bike mostly of late. From 650 to 780 bars is pretty nutso. I took it for its first run down the dawg and found the back end to handle very well- I did have the vivid in though, but the front issue was apparent- hopefully can get that sorted. Brakes suffered as I grabbed handfuls since not doing decent dh for sometime and with the extra lard on my arse. The track was a lot more washed out than I remember with exposed rocks littering the trail. Those saints are going to come in handy.

Spec-
Glory med
Boxxer wc 2010
Hope pro2
Stans flow, areo bladed spokes alloy nips
Tubeless 2.5 minions with stans and glitter
Xo derailler and shifter
Kore ibeam carbon post and belair saddle (was ifly- too hard)
Formula the ones with 'quad' 7" rotors
Mg1 peds, STS+ guide 36t, Guide ring, Atlas cranks
Atlas 780mm bars, point one stem, Giant grips with some old white lock rings
A few ti bolts...

Hope you enjoy

oh, spot blinky.

Attachments

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Nice setup. Amazing weight! :)
So, You say, You increased the diameter of the shock eye? I hope it will work :)
I am looking forward to hearing from You about the shock, more.

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
HA picture is photoshoped! there is absolutely no way a 2010 glory can be raced the HA is 64 everyone! haha

kidding.

sweet build BTW

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
love the black glory! looks dope man. im getting very excited over these glorys weighing in at 32 and 34 pounds! cant wait to build up mine!!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not everybody rides the same way. I have not raced the last couple of years that a lone sure lowers the wear and tear on the bike. Plus I have learn to know the how to take care of my setup so it will last a long time.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
man i hope you weigh 120lbs w/ gear to ride a 32lb DH bike
Far from it. CBJ is on the money, not everyone rides the same. The only thing untested for me on this bike is the rear shock. Lightweight Good quality parts that are well looked after will last longer than lower end heavier parts that are hammered.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Far from it. CBJ is on the money, not everyone rides the same. The only thing untested for me on this bike is the rear shock. Lightweight Good quality parts that are well looked after will last longer than lower end heavier parts that are hammered.
Fact. Sick bike dude im liking it a lot!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Shock is great while it works, had one on a NICOLAI till it took a big ol manapooooooo! And sounded like a bad case of diahrea SLURRP shhhhsshshshshpfwwwwt etc you get the point LOL.
:D
(my marz WC air rocked, never gave me crap even when flat landing and rocks)

Nice weight, how much does the frame weigh with out shock.

Im happy now as long as Im 36-38lbs and I take rough lines as well as come in hard sideways on stuff. So far so good so if hes smooth and picks good lines it could hold well but be sure to clean and tune. I do mine but then again I bring it to the shop and chill out when its slow and go over it all and lube/grease and take very good care of my stuff.

Good job! Nice build looks good.

I prefer the bike at 37 or so 35 waqs a little light and delfected a bit much for rough stuff but added a heavier tire up front gained a little weight and reduced deflection by a ton.
So most stuff singles work great but tunnel, bootleg, schweitzer, brundidge etc Ill put a 2.5 - 2.7 DH up front, it keeps it steady in the moon rocks!

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
whats wrong with the shock? have you ridin one?
Ok, I'll give you that... but I'm convinced that no air shock will be as good as say a Cane Creek Double barrel ... so whatever little weight gain he got from putting an air shock in (and questionable performance gain from saving weight)... would be more than compensated for by actually using a great shock. It wasn't like budget was a consideration.

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Man that frame seems way to light! I'm a fan of a bit of light weight, I run Stans Flow rims myself but that jut seems a crazy weight. I'm interested in seeing how these new Glorys hold up, Giant normally seems to build solid (read just a touch overweight) reliable frames in my eyes and this seems a bit of a departure!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Look what happened will all "smaller" Giant frames. Anthems, Trances and Reigns went through the same proccess with great success.
I do believe they new Glorys will hold up well :)
"Old" Glory was not just "touch overweighted" ;) IMO

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
Been racing/beating on my new Glory since the end of Sept. '09 and it's been great so far. My build isn't quite this light, but it's sitting at 35lbs 14oz with heavy pedals. Not to shabby.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
love the black glory! looks dope man. im getting very excited over these glorys weighing in at 32 and 34 pounds! cant wait to build up mine!!
and yet it still baffles me why anyone would want a DH bike that light:confused: Maybe on the smooth fast trails, but in the gnarly technical stuff a heavier bike IMO would perform and last much longer. 38-41lbs for a DH bike is perfect!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Ok, I'll give you that... but I'm convinced that no air shock will be as good as say a Cane Creek Double barrel ... so whatever little weight gain he got from putting an air shock in (and questionable performance gain from saving weight)... would be more than compensated for by actually using a great shock. It wasn't like budget was a consideration.
You are comparing a little apples to oranges here. Of course it won't touch a CCDB, but it has comparable performance to a stock DHX coil IMO. The Evolver is one of the best, if not the best air shock. And even if you run a ti spring there is at least 1/2 pound to be saved, most of the times more when you need a higher spring rate. I can think of a bunch of tracks that are pedally and not too rough where it would make sense to run an air shock.

Great bike BTW. Saving weight done right! :thumb:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
You are comparing a little apples to oranges here. Of course it won't touch a CCDB, but it has comparable performance to a stock DHX coil IMO. The Evolver is one of the best, if not the best air shock. And even if you run a ti spring there is at least 1/2 pound to be saved, most of the times more when you need a higher spring rate. I can think of a bunch of tracks that are pedally and not too rough where it would make sense to run an air shock.

Great bike BTW. Saving weight done right! :thumb:
boom! right on the money, shock will be perfect for those smoother/pedally tracks, like 7springs or wisp. I will have both the Revox with TI spring and the ISX for the glory so i have different shock options for each track. Key to a winning race bike.

Dennis

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this is a dumb comment in every which way

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Dennis, waiting for Your input on Evolver's performance, comparing to coil shock.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Dennis, waiting for Your input on Evolver's performance, comparing to coil shock.
I had one to test around on back when I was working all the details out for the Team last year. I got some riding time on it. I will have to say it worked better than the DHX 5.0 Air and DHX 5.0 Coil I had at the time. You could set the Evolver up to be super soft to perform better over the small bumps than the DHX air. What I found with the DHX Air was the first .25” of stroke felt sticky and then blow through the rest of the stroke before ramping up at the end. No Mid range at all. Same with the DHX coil. The Evolver felt to have more Mid range and didn’t blow through the travel as easy, but still had no stiction at the start of the stroke. You can fine tune it better too. It was tested on 2009 Glory.

As for the Cane Creek DB, the Evolver is no where close when it come to control of the stroke. I have heard there is a Cane Creek DB Air in the works from a reliable source.

People need to stop hating on Manitou. They are here to stay and make great products. They have changed up our industry for the better over the past 10 years and have set standards in the past for other companys to fallow, much like they are working on again.

Hope this helps,
Cecil

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
boom! right on the money, shock will be perfect for those smoother/pedally tracks, like 7springs or wisp. I will have both the Revox with TI spring and the ISX for the glory so i have different shock options for each track. Key to a winning race bike.

Dennis
do you really think a 1/2 pound of shock weight will make a shat of difference? pulleeeeeeze.

the key to a winning race bike = a winning race run

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
You are comparing a little apples to oranges here.
My point remains, budget was clearly no factor here, so why save the little weight, when you would gain much by putting on a coil shock?

boom! right on the money, shock will be perfect for those smoother/pedally tracks,
Yes, much like the V10 with coil shock was too much for Canberra, and the best idea was to go shorter travel, air shock, no knee pads....oh wait.

To add, he's in NZ I believe. The tracks there are hardly flat and pedally.

this is a dumb comment in every which way
Great retort, very articulate of you... I now completely agree with your thoughts on the matter.