Quantcast

'03 Dj1

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
I don't know if anyone else out there has had this problem but after putting a DJ1 on my New Jack Flash and riding it for approximately 2 weeks (riding urban, but definitely not anything too crazy while getting used to the bike) I went up to stall on my rear tire and landed on the bash guard.

I thought nothing of it at the time until I looked down at my now 12" travel DJ1! Something went wrong with the internal components and they succeeded in separating and the lowers almost came off my fork.

Marzocchi, upon contacting them, told me to send it in right away without an explanation for what they think might have gone wrong.

I did not take the fork apart myself, though I desperately wanted to. Instead I sent it in to the guys there and they fixed it and got it back to me in a relatively short time (props to their warranty department because they do a good job).

My question is, has anybody else eperienced this problem, and has anybody opened up the '03's to find out what they got goin' on inside them?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow. That's bizarre...

You can download a .pdf tech file from Marzo's site to see what the internals look like (should be an exploded view; there is on the manuals I've d/loaded).

If the DJ is like my old Jr T internals (pretty sure it's a similar arrangement), the foot nut or the screw that threads into the foot nut (the nut you can see when you look at the underside of the fork slider) could have broken or come loose for the uppers and slider to separate like that. That or the pumping rod broke in half...or I think there's a snap ring of some sort that held the valving inside the stanchion. That could have come loose, too.

However, for it to happen on both sides at once?? That's really, really bizarre.

MD

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
Another weird thing was that the "foot nut" wasn't loose at all. It was pretty tight when I went to check out the fork after it first happened (I originally thought it was the bolt coming loose and the internals coming apart like that).

From a technical perspective I would like to know if this is something that a shop can fix by ordering parts from Marzocchi or is it something that only the factory can fix.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Fokker
Another weird thing was that the "foot nut" wasn't loose at all. It was pretty tight when I went to check out the fork after it first happened (I originally thought it was the bolt coming loose and the internals coming apart like that).

From a technical perspective I would like to know if this is something that a shop can fix by ordering parts from Marzocchi or is it something that only the factory can fix.
Your shop could rebuild it completely, even to the point of ordering new uppers or lowers. However, Marzo can do it better, quicker, and probably cheaper (most likely free, I'd imagine with your case!) than anyone else. Their CS is quick and easy. Don't mess around with the shop ordering parts, then finding out they need something else that they forgot, etc. Get it done right....

MD