Quantcast

03 XTR cranks

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
My friend has a pair of 03 XTR cranks he just bought off ebay. Why did they go with microdrive rings? It's the first pair I have seen up close and it just seemed odd to me that they would go with 94mm rings and their "special bolt pattern"

Whats the advantage over standard sizing other than shimano generates more sales on chain rings?

just curious...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by 1speed
My friend has a pair of 03 XTR cranks he just bought off ebay. Why did they go with microdrive rings? It's the first pair I have seen up close and it just seemed odd to me that they would go with 94mm rings and their "special bolt pattern"

Whats the advantage over standard sizing other than shimano generates more sales on chain rings?

just curious...
the smaller chain rings rock, or in smaller i mean the compact drive over the standard drive. the 36 on the standard drive stuff is sweet but the 46 is a bit to big to really get a fluid spin or atleast for me. personally i like to run a 42 up front w/ a 11-27 and the new design of the xtr stuff elimates that all together b/c of how the spider is designed. so pretty much the only rings you can run are either the shimano's or have someone machine you a set and hope that thye will run a bit cheaper then the shimano's. oh and they changed the drive mainly b/c none of the pro's who use xtr were running the standard drive set up. all of them went to a 2 ring set up and just run the 32/44......

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I never looked close enough to the pro's to notice the lack of little ring. makes sense though.
I always rode 46or44/34/24 and loved it. I ride 34 on my SS and just really like it over 32t. ratios can be the same but the feel seems different but it could be in my mind.

"so pretty much the only rings you can run are either the shimano's " whats up with that corporate marketing...they do make good stuff but I get bothered by the fact that they force you into their parts as the only option. oh well...

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
Shimano produces their own chainrings and the cranks are only compatible with their chainrings mainly because the shimano chains work better with shimano rings and cogs. simple as that. My question about the 2x9 is whats the point? I race semi-pro and junior expert and rarely need to use the small ring, but really all your doing is removing something that shouldn't be removed and adjesting your front deralliure in ways it shouldn't be ajusted....so whats the point of it? take a good poop before you race or ride and you'll save way more weight then you would by removing your small ring

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Devoracer77
Shimano produces their own chainrings and the cranks are only compatible with their chainrings mainly because the shimano chains work better with shimano rings and cogs. simple as that. My question about the 2x9 is whats the point? I race semi-pro and junior expert and rarely need to use the small ring, but really all your doing is removing something that shouldn't be removed and adjesting your front deralliure in ways it shouldn't be ajusted....so whats the point of it? take a good poop before you race or ride and you'll save way more weight then you would by removing your small ring
well guess you didn't use it to your advantage then, just drop the little ring and run a tighter bb axle to keep a better chain line.

Well, the compact drive stuff gives more rock clearance and weighs less, but you can't get a high final drive like with the 110bcd rings.

I couldn't imagine dropping my pixie off the bike. I've been using a 24/36/48 with a 12-32 (8sp) for a long time (and yes, it's become a PITA to get parts w/o paying "collector prices") and use the whole spectrum. Yesterday at Big Bear, I was spinning out the 48/12 on the way to Grandview Point, and 2 hours later was enjoying the 24/32 on a grind up a never-ending, 900' climb with sand. I'm absolutely SURE the pros don't use their pixie for that climb, but hold no illusions about how well it works. I'll let the roadies run 2x10, thank you...