Quantcast

'05 Fly

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You suck!! You might be one of the only people who should legitimatly be on this site while at work.

I love how they mounted the floating brake arm end in a clevis on the frame. Very smart and probably lighter in the end.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
buildyourown said:
You suck!! You might be one of the only people who should legitimatly be on this site while at work.

I love how they mounted the floating brake arm end in a clevis on the frame. Very smart and probably lighter in the end.
I like how it looks like it's going to still hit a reasonably sized tire just like the old ones.

At least it's got a gas tank to hide the drugs in so we can travel accross the country, pick up Jack Nicholson, hang out with hippies in a commune, have a freak out in New Orleans and generally be wild.......which is what we were born to do.

Somebody hurry up and buy one of these things and tell me how it rides.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I don't think a tire under a 2.6" is going to rub the floater, remember the bike has a 150 rear end this year so the arm starts at a wider point. The chainstay yoke looks like it could clear just about anything other than a Gazzi 3.0, and the floater arm actually seems to have more clearance. We'll see once we get a tire in there, I guess.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
James | Go-Ride said:
I don't think a tire under a 2.6" is going to rub the floater, remember the bike has a 150 rear end this year so the arm starts at a wider point. The chainstay yoke looks like it could clear just about anything other than a Gazzi 3.0, and the floater arm actually seems to have more clearance. We'll see once we get a tire in there, I guess.
build it!!!

build it!!!

build it!!!

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
kidwoo said:
build it!!!

build it!!!

build it!!!
Shhhhh, already working on that :sneaky: By the way, medium with the axle in, steel spring on the Curnutt, and the floater weighs 11.1 pounds. Not a lightweight by any stretch, but not bad either for a 9" bike. I figure with a ti spring and no floater you'd be at about 9.8 pounds, which is reasonable.

The attatched image shows the tire clearance with a Maxxis Minion 2.5 on a Mavic EX721. The tire's a little worn but you can see there's plenty of clearance with the most popular race tire on the market (at least in the Western US, sorry Michie guys but it's true :D)

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
CBJ said:
Any good reason behind the gass tank or is it just to be different?
To thumb their nose at the really ugly version Santa Cruz tried?

Its going to have a baby?

???

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I already answered the gas tank question. Jeesh.

Actually I'm sure it's for the same reason anyone uses moncoque anything....it's usually stiffer or easier than manipulating a tube to the shape they want.

Whoo hoo wheel is already in. You know that a 2.5 DHF tire is itsy bitsy though. Still looks better than the old ones....... I guess the 150 hinder does some good. What size shock does that frame use? I.E. can it be replaced?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
You could maybe use an adapter that Foes made a couple of years ago, but most of the Foes stuff, Fly included, is designed specifically around the Curnutt shock. That doesn't sound like a big deal initially when you think about the handful of other progressive, platform shocks on the market, but the Curnutt has a much larger air volume and a pretty unique progressive curve, so the suspension of the Fly and the Mono would be super linear without the ramp from the shock.

The gas tank supposedly adds like 30% more stiffness up front. Whether or not that is actually true, it definitely gives the bike a unique look.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
kidwoo said:
At least it's got a gas tank to hide the drugs in so we can travel accross the country, pick up Jack Nicholson, hang out with hippies in a commune, have a freak out in New Orleans and generally be wild.......which is what we were born to do.

Yeah, lets get back to the land and hook up a dh community. It'll be far out.

Ohh, the bike's groovy too man!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
James | Go-Ride said:
By the way, medium with the axle in, steel spring on the Curnutt, and the floater weighs 11.1 pounds.

There go all the rumors of the frame loosing 2lbs from 04.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im waiting till next year to buy a FLY. The first year always has lots of problems but Foes changes them ASAP. Remeber the first fly..... broke down tube. Then they changed the pivot on the floater in 03. There were a lot of changes to the older style Fly till it was perfected. I believe the late 03 and 04 where the best FLYs. I love mine.

The 05 will go through some changed too. Im waiting to see.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Kanter said:
Im waiting till next year to buy a FLY. The first year always has lots of problems but Foes changes them ASAP. Remeber the first fly..... broke down tube. Then they changed the pivot on the floater in 03. There were a lot of changes to the older style Fly till it was perfected. I believe the late 03 and 04 where the best FLYs. I love mine.

The 05 will go through some changed too. Im waiting to see.
The good news about the '05 is that several of the parts have already been used in some of the other bikes. I don't think we're going to see structural changes for next year (I know, speculation but hear me out) as the two areas the original Fly had problems with have been totally scrapped. First was the downtube, which was a tapered tube. The '05 version has a downtube that is pretty close to straight gauge, and it seems to be just about the same tube that was used on the DHS Tube. The other spot was the big torsion bowl the shock sat in. Obviously that is gone as well. The main pivot uses the same bearings as the FXR, but uses four bearings instead of two.

Looking at the machine work in the rest of the frame as well as the monocoque sections leads us to believe that the frame is actually overbuilt for most use, other than hucker-style abuse (for which I believe it is impossible to make a frame that won't break that doesn't weigh 14+ pounds). I hate to sound like the pushy sales guy, but we wouldn't have brought them in, or for that matter subtly encouraged excitement about the frame by posting pics this morning ;) , if we didn't think they were going to be able to hang.

It will be interesting to see if our faith in the frame is well-placed, but Scott and Kris usually have a pretty good eye for what is going to work and what isn't, and Kris specifically is good at catching stuff right off the bat (probably thanks to his stint as an employee at Karpiel not that long ago). As for the weight thing, Foes said at the trade show that the frame should be about a pound lighter than the '04 Fly, which it is, so I don't know where the 2 pounds thing came from other than e-spec.

In short, think about buying one! From us! Hahaha just kidding. Sort of. :D

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Looks sweet. Though I thought that a full-length seat tube was on the list of new for '05 features. Doesn't look like you get much more insertion than the old frame.

Damn is that sexy though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What is the size of the shock? Will my Avy on my 02.5 Fly transfer over? What about seatpost size? Hmmmm. You got me thinkin.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Thanks for the pic James. It's starting to grow on me more than when they first posted pics from Interbike. Still don't like the whales hump, but maybe it looks better in person.

Tire clearence still looks tight considering...everyone knows how Maxxi's are overstated.

Hmm maybe I'll have to sell my fly and upgrade to an 05'. Give us reports once you ride it plz. I'm particullarly interested in Krispy's feedback since he had a lot of saddle time with the previous model. ;)

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Thats cool... I just received my 05 DHS mono. The fabrication work is amazing. My bike with frame headset floater , ti spring and shock weighed 13.1 lbs. They curnutt shock looks amazing.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter said:
What is the size of the shock? Will my Avy on my 02.5 Fly transfer over? What about seatpost size? Hmmmm. You got me thinkin.

James..... any ideas? Any smalls yet?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I'm not sure about the shock, it takes the monster Curnutt (11" I think? I'm not at work so I can't run and measure one) which is the same shock body as on the Mono, so I doubt they changed anything. You'll probably want to get your Avy revalved if you put it on one of the new Fly frames though, the leverage ratio is up a bit (I think about 2.7:1 on the old bike in 8" mode, and exactly 3:1 on the '05).

Post diameter is 31.6, so the lack of seatpost adjustment isn't a total bummer thanks to the handful of telescoping posts on the market. Yeah, it's a band-aid fix for sure, but at least the bike has more adjustment now than it did before. For the amount of travel the bike has and where the pivot is located, Foes had to bend the tube like that to keep a decent seat tube angle and keep the tire from buzzing hard on the seat tube under full compression. I know it's a bummer but it's getting better.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
James | Go-Ride said:
For the amount of travel the bike has and where the pivot is located, Foes had to bend the tube like that to keep a decent seat tube angle and keep the tire from buzzing hard on the seat tube under full compression. I know it's a bummer but it's getting better.
So does the tire hit the seat tube on this bike?

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Bulldog said:

That is the Fly I wanted. I like the straight seat tube. Dont get me wrong, I like the new Fly but I wish the seat tube was straight.

Ill have to call Craig and see about revalving the Avy. hmmmmm

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Bulldog said:
It's hard to tell at the angle the bike is at, but that thing looks like it would have seat tube angle somewhere that is uber slack, making it pretty tough to raise the seat all the way up for climbing and keep it in a good position.

CH, I thought you were on our payroll to make me look smarter when I post on here via verifying my comments and intentions. Ah, I mean . . . I have to go.