Quantcast

'05 Fly

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yummmmmy. Thanks for postin a pic but put a 8" 888 on it and your lowrider crowns and the switch upper. Then you will have something. Whats the build and price?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I'll send you a PM with the build and price, that's probably a bit much for some of the members. I was pushing for the 888 but it was a bit pricey for a floor bike. I've been contemplating that exact setup as my race bike for this year, it'd be a pretty sick setup. The TT and wheelbase are about the same as my Tomac was, and I think with the 888 and our crowns the head angle, weight and BB height would be pretty similar as well. Plus it has a gas tank so I can make moto noises over finish line jumps. :thumb:

"Braaap!" *Try to whip, just look like a dumbass*

"And crossing the finish line is 19-24 Expert and Troy Lee whore James Peterson, finishing dead last on a bike that should be capable of winning a World Cup. Nice work, James."

Edit: Actually, after thinking about it for a second, it would be a few pounds lighter than my Tomac. Time to take out another loan. Sigh.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Are those RaceFace Atlas cranks? What's you take on those. RaceFace says they're "strong enough for light DH". Does that mean I can put those on my DH race bike or would I bust 'em?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Heh, actually I've never really been on the wagon with the rest of the team. Before Go-Ride got really started, everybody who is basically on our local team was riding Karpiels. I had a Titus. Then everybody had a Mono. I had the Tomac. Now everybody has the Cuervo and I would love to have one, realistically that's my best bet as far as finances go, but the Fly looks really good, and it's got almost the exact TT length I'm looking for. Kinda bummed about not being able to run a DHX, but I'm sure I'd be able to get used to the Curnutt after riding it for a couple days.

Those are Atlas cranks. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to hang for a full season of DH race use. Our team has been running XT 750 series cranks on their DH bikes for the last two or three years, so those Atlas guys should be able to hang with those no problem.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Oh FYI, with the bent seat tube and the 80mm minimum insert required with that Easton post, there was about 7 inches of post adjustment. Not a ton, but 4 inches more than the '04 Fly had.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
James | Go-Ride said:
Heh, actually I've never really been on the wagon with the rest of the team. Before Go-Ride got really started, everybody who is basically on our local team was riding Karpiels. I had a Titus. Then everybody had a Mono. I had the Tomac. Now everybody has the Cuervo and I would love to have one, realistically that's my best bet as far as finances go, but the Fly looks really good, and it's got almost the exact TT length I'm looking for. Kinda bummed about not being able to run a DHX, but I'm sure I'd be able to get used to the Curnutt after riding it for a couple days.

Those are Atlas cranks. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to hang for a full season of DH race use. Our team has been running XT 750 series cranks on their DH bikes for the last two or three years, so those Atlas guys should be able to hang with those no problem.
Yeah they should be able to hang for a season of racing. Yeah the Curnutt is a strange experience the first couple times. First couple times I rode my mono i was like crap what did i do, now i love the thing.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
James | Go-Ride said:
Oh FYI, with the bent seat tube and the 80mm minimum insert required with that Easton post, there was about 7 inches of post adjustment. Not a ton, but 4 inches more than the '04 Fly had.
That picture is deceptive then. 4" of required minimum + 7" of adjustment = 11" to the bend?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I get about 4" of adjustment with my Fly. I did cut the seatpost at an angle so I can push it down a little further. I have no problems with mine. 2" more would be nice.... Hey thats what I always say. ;)