Quantcast

05 Kona Stinky supreme

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I know. Leverage ratio is still linear and +3:1 I believe, which is why the Avy is perfect on the Stab. Fox's and the like are designed around a perfect 3:1 ratio max for the Propedal and bottom out control to work as they should most efficiently. When you get the PUSH mods or the Avalanche tuning, they compensate for that high leverage. You still have the option of running the floater in either place on the older Stabs as well if you get the clamp for the mainframe mount too by the way.

Nov 9, 2005
i have a stab and it feels great. it is at 46 pounds right now which is a middle range weight for the bike. It jumps great and pedals ok(with the pro-pedal adjusted accordingly) and is incredibly stable at high speeds.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
bomberboy11 said:
I know. Leverage ratio is still linear and +3:1 I believe, which is why the Avy is perfect on the Stab. Fox's and the like are designed around a perfect 3:1 ratio max for the Propedal and bottom out control to work as they should most efficiently. When you get the PUSH mods or the Avalanche tuning, they compensate for that high leverage. You still have the option of running the floater in either place on the older Stabs as well if you get the clamp for the mainframe mount too by the way.
The newer Stabs are 2.67:1 leverage ratio fixed. The old ones were 3.27:1 @ 9" and 2.9:1 @ 8".

Also FWIW, the early '05's have only one floater mount (the lower one) and they also have a bushing on the floater itself whereas the later '05's have both an upper and lower floater mount and a sealed bearing on the floater at the axle.

Finally, although a floater does help cancel out braking input, it does not correct the suspensionn induced pedal feedback which is inherent to the main pivot placement.

Still in all the Stabs are great bikes, especially considering that we (Velo Pro) have '05 frames for only $1,200 w/DHX 5.0 and Ringle hub. Unfortunately though Degoose and SBdownhillracer got the last two mediums and all we have left are two smalls.

Jun 18, 2004
sayndesyn said:
I own a Stab Supreme However my bike comes with better tubing... So it really comes down to the color scheme and if it is worth it to you to have DH tubing over the regular CLUMP aluminum.
I talked to a Kona Rep filling orders in the '04 summer and he said that the only frame diff is the paint job... for awhile you could by the stinky vers for 1200 @ wheelworld until kona caught on... (this was in the last few months)

Jun 18, 2004
zane said:
You can't clock the E-13 guide roller up very far without having to modify the top of the boomerang and top plastic guide, the swingarm pivot is right in the way.
that why you have to trim the wear tabs... I had to stack 3 of them to work on my scream... I rough trimed them w/an exacto and then took the whole set to work and fine tuned them w/a wire wheel on a bench grinder...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Str8OutaBallard said:
I talked to a Kona Rep filling orders in the '04 summer and he said that the only frame diff is the paint job... for awhile you could by the stinky vers for 1200 @ wheelworld until kona caught on... (this was in the last few months)
Kona didn't "catch on" they knew the whole time exactly what was going on. Wheelworld just sold out of the frames that's all. My shop bought up the few remaining Stab Supremes from Kona at that time.

snide

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Seattle
Finally got my Stinky Sup all built up and a few rides put on her. The ride is so much differant than my Bullit I'm having a hard time adjusting. After about 15 DH runs here's what I notice:

1. Take the advice from others on setup. The rear axle spacers thin outboard and thick inboard. Re-tighten all suspension bolts because they do come loose quickly.

2. The seat collar needs to be aligned perfectly or it will hit the rocker arms and shave off metal.

3. I seem to be falling way to far back on the rear tire. Every drop or steep drop in the bike is pushing my ass way back. Maybe just me, but feels like the rear tire is in my crack way more than it should be.

4. My build is around 42lbs and I could easily shave 2lbs in tires and tubes.

5. How the heck are you suppose to grease the floater? The zerks are odd sized and no one seems to carry them.

6. Bike seems to pedal okay at low speeds and fantastic at speed.

7. It eats up the steeps and is an easy jumper.