Quantcast

05 N* Plans??

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
Well once again I'm bored out of my skull and dreamming of summer. Anyone know what N*'s plans are for the 05 season since they got the Kona freeride hookup? New trails? New stunts? Race Series? I think they did a great job last year and I'd love to see some stunts actually on the trails this year.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea man, stunts on trails would be great. i never did the shore because rippin down that last part of karpiel is so awsome.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
yeah i'd like to see functional stunts on at least one trail. Something where the stunts create some nice flow from one to the next all the way down the trail. Mix in some jumps as well. An overly obvious example would be schleyer.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Acadian said:
Fock stunts - make some FAST trails with jumps!
i'd like some more stunts strategically placed around but some fast smooth trails with jumps would be really nice. they need some contrast for all the rocky'ness.

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
I am with you Brian i just want it to open.

But i cant help but say why do so many of you nor-cal riders hate on stunts or for that matter Freeriding.

Just racing alone is not enough for me i like everything. Hell if we didnt have freeriding now there would be about $$$$$ in this industry.

any ways what up Brian dont listen to me i just want my N*

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Well, maybe NorCal-ers just like going fast or maybe they like jumping? :confused:

I'd like some smoother, faster trails with shoots, drops, and big jumps. Line Sinuous. Maybe I wouldn't care about the rocks if I wasn't there on my P1.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
TP, CC, and I are planning on going, probably opening weekend.

Should prove to be quite a contrast to the temperate rainforest conditions of Pisgah.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dfinn said:
i'd like some more stunts strategically placed around but some fast smooth trails with jumps would be really nice. they need some contrast for all the rocky'ness.
stunts are for kids...

use Natural terrain
fast berms
WELL BUILT jumps
flowy sections

Examples:
speed control - The first year it was just okay...but last year it was super fun!!
Boondocks - far to get to, but so god damn fun!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
stunts are for kids...

use Natural terrain
fast berms
WELL BUILT jumps
flowy sections

Examples:
speed control - The first year it was just okay...but last year it was super fun!!
Boondocks - far to get to, but so god damn fun!!
What was that trail at the top of the lift Sinuis? It was the one next to Flameout, very fun and fast:thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
marcm said:
I am with you Brian i just want it to open.

But i cant help but say why do so many of you nor-cal riders hate on stunts or for that matter Freeriding.

Just racing alone is not enough for me i like everything. Hell if we didnt have freeriding now there would be about $$$$$ in this industry.

any ways what up Brian dont listen to me i just want my N*
Hey Marc whats up? Hows the family?

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Family is good...Brian... wow i need to keep my opinions to my self i think. ha ha ha hey i like to go fast to i just think it is cool to have stunts but hey i dont have time to debate the issue........... ok a little ha ha

I would like to say to Arcaidian i have rode with you and you are a great rider as well as a nice guy. but hey maybe the stunts at northstar are for kids i will agree that they are not that hard. but not all stunts are like that. give some credit to some of the northshore style riding.. I mean it may not be your cup of tea but stuff like the crankworks event defently takes some skill. You could say the same about Karpiel and sticks trails they are easy as hell now that you have rode them year after year.

I guess i just came into this sport with a diffrent mind set i rode skateboards for 10 years and was pro for 2 then i got a little older and found DH.. i love it but if all we did was ride the same stuff in skating it would not be at the level that it is today. So i guess that is why i love freeriding so much it is always evolving. Damn i am bored i just went on and on huh ha ha

late Marc

anyhoo

late brian

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
no...only stunts. they should build bridges on speed control, boondocks, karpiel, dog bone.....they should cover everything in stunts....it would be so much better.

sarcasm aside i just wanted to give N* some feed back. I know not all riders like stunts just like not all riders like super rough stuff. I like to ride all kinds of terrain and N* has the rough down for sure, it's starting to get the fast flow stuff and it could definetely use more stunts. We've all got our ideas what N* should be and as far as I'm concerned I'd like variety. Something for everyone would make more people want to ride there and more people means more profit = better for N*. And I wouldn't worry about N* ever loosing it's gnarly-ness. The one thing that mountain has most is the rough stuff and than wont ever change.

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
maybe if they had actual dirt instead of just red dust they could build a berm or jump that lasts more than ten minutes. ill be there opening day tho to test out my bike in rocks. plus its a fun place.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
So anyone for N* want to give use some hints of what's to come?

BTW justhuckit, the condos are actually pretty affordable with the right number of people. plus you can stay right by the base.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I just hope that they close the "go around" line by the drop (diving board I think its called) going into the Stadium jump area. Every time someone takes that line they knock large rocks and boulders into the landing area of the drop.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There were some threads about this last summer over in the DH forum. I totally agree that they need to balance all the rocky gnar with more flow and opportunities for air. Whistler is the obvious comparison but it's also true that the dirt is very different.

What frustrates me about the place is that they put in the effort to build stuff but it's just misguided effort. Look at 3 Amigos - hard to carry speed into the first jump, the spacing is all off, the the third jump is the smallest out of the bunch, so if you manage to carry speed to clear the thing and land flat. It's like they don't have anyone who actually rides helping out up there.

And the wooden stunts are fun but why put them all in one place, and make you choose between stunts and one of the only places on the whole mountain with decent berms and one good jump? I tend to hit the stunts once, then ride the bottom of Karp the rest of the day. Those kind of stunts should be sprinkled around the mountain and made as optional lines, where the option is a stunt or just a go-around...ahhh, I could go on and on...

But yeah, more flow, more air with landing transitions...that way you can ride rocks on one run, flow/air the next, stunts the next...sigh, I guess we all just want it to be Whistler, which is not fair.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
One thing N* should also improve are the upper chairlifts - some of the hooks are the chairlifts are simply destroying your frame and/or forks...

Raacerx

Monkey
jmeperu said:
maybe if they had actual dirt instead of just red dust they could build a berm or jump that lasts more than ten minutes.
There are plenty of ways to get around that. Why dont they just ask people to come help with the building? All these people who want improvements, I mean we could turn that place into something good. So much potential, why isn't it being utilized?

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Joe Pozer said:
I just hope that they close the "go around" line by the drop (diving board I think its called) going into the Stadium jump area. Every time someone takes that line they knock large rocks and boulders into the landing area of the drop.
I agree with that too. What ever happened to the trail crew that was there last year? I saw them once, I think, on lower karp. There are places that could be worked on, IMO, like the landing of the moss rock drop on sticks. That landing gets worse every year. Last time I rode it last year it was like dropping into a pit.

But I agree with what was said above. Keep the trails that are there now (well, keep on expanding) with the super tech rock gardens and nasty sections, but also add a few trails along the lines or dirt merchant/A line/schleyer. We need a balance...