Quantcast

06 40 vs. 07 40

Nov 9, 2005
Do you think the extra money for a new 07 40 would be worth it over a slightly used 06 40? Both are RC2. Besides the new FIT cartridge in the 07 40 are there any other pull factors to get a new one versus a used 06?

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
for all you that think its exactly the same its not, how would you know anyway?

they made the bottom out system better, changed the damping alittle, worked on the compression, different outside look

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The 07 has the new bottom out system, the 06 did not. The cartridge has a few tweaks to it. So yes, there is a difference. If you are a bigger rider who had issues blowing through the travel, it is a HUGE difference.

edit: I taipe gud.

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
exactly the same outside of decals
That is correct. I have talked to several different people at Fox and they all have told me the same thing. There is NO difference at all except for the stickers.

I also asked them about the bottoming out and even gave them websites that mentions this, but regardless of what I told them or showed them they all said it is still the same fork except for the decals.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That is correct. I have talked to several different people at Fox and they all have told me the same thing. There is NO difference at all except for the stickers.

I also asked them about the bottoming out and even gave them websites that mentions this, but regardless of what I told them or showed them they all said it is still the same fork except for the decals.
It isn't. End of story. Someone is feeding you a line.

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
It isn't. End of story. Someone is feeding you a line.
Well it's more than one employee I talked to and they all told me the same thing. So I doubt they all got together and said lets tell them that the 07 is the same as the 06.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Well it's more than one employee I talked to and they all told me the same thing. So I doubt they all got together and said lets tell them that the 07 is the same as the 06.
I've heard the same thing Transcend has said. Who at fox did you talk to?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whoever you talked to has no idea what they are talking about. Fox is a big company, the bike dept. is small and is divided up into rear and front suspension. Not everyone knows what is going on in all products in the line. That, or someone is just feeding you a line.

There is a difference and that is all there is to it. Some of us have been on and off the new stuff since the beginning of last season.

2005-2006 were the same, except for a slight change in casting mid season on the 05s.

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
I've heard the same thing Transcend has said. Who at fox did you talk to?
Don't remember.

I was in the market for a fox 40. so I did some research and found all this info about new features and so on.

So I called Fox and confirm. After the person told me that it was not true I wondered how could this be. Its right here on this mtb site. Keep in mind all this talk about new features was before the 07 was released so all the sites and other people were doing write up about it.

So finally the 07 was released...cool

I call fox again about a month later and was told the same thing. At this point I was like wtf.

So I called back every other week and talked to different people for about a few months on purpose. and out of all those months and quite a few other employees later only 1 person actually said that YES it was different for 07.

Who knows who I talked to all I know that it I was directed to the bicycle suspension customer service.

Who knows what is going on but try and call them up and see what they say and point reference to websites. Honestly I just gave up on them and trying to get them to tell me what I wanted to hear.

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
The guys on the phone at fox are all retards. I called and asked a question about my 36 talas rc2, why it wasnt getting full travel, and how I could get high speed compression without the fork bottoming out? The guy put me hold and then told me to adjust a knob on the bottom of the fork. I told him I already played with all the settings and know how to set up a fork and couldn't get it to feel right. He then put me on hold again for another 5 minutes and asked a co-worker and gave me the same answer to the question. They never answered my question about it not getting full travel, and to be honest I dont think he knew.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub

Thats what I had heard

EDIT-but maybe the people on the phone at fox are retarded

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
i know for a fact, %100 truth that there are many changes to the 07 line... Some of the people that answer the phones dont even ride, just read what ever is in front of them....if you can get a hold of the race development people they will give you direct answers because they are the ones that tested and made the changes

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
for all you that think its exactly the same its not, how would you know anyway?

they made the bottom out system better, changed the damping alittle, worked on the compression, different outside look
dude, you misunderstood my post, maybe i just post bad i donno.

if the choice was between a 07 or a 06 with a fit cart then they would both be the same.... which it is.. hence he should go for the 06.

Nov 9, 2005
Exactly. In your mind is it worth the extra few hundred dollars or so to get a brand new 07 40 or could i get a used 06 and put a FIT cartridge in it?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Exactly. In your mind is it worth the extra few hundred dollars or so to get a brand new 07 40 or could i get a used 06 and put a FIT cartridge in it?
wiat, so the choice is an 07 or a standard 06 which you plan to put a fit cart in? well, if you can get a fit cart and it ends up cheaper then go for it. but i dont think fox will be selling them.

if you are not too heavy the 06 forks work well, you can get it beld and set to the hard bottom out setting and it works well. one of my friends who is sponcerd by fox go his set to the low setting on the 07. and he is around 65kgs.

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
You have to ask, are you looking for maximum traction when the wheels are on the ground or do you want the bike to feel stiff and not bottom. The other big question is, in what condition is it bottoming in? Hitting a rock or obstacle at speed square on, g-out, big jump landing, or flat landing?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
high speed controls the high speed damping for the whole stroke, ie if you do a drop, it would kick in the instant your wheels touch the ground. bottom out only kicks in on the last 2 inches of travel, which is also dependent on shaft velocity.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
if this helps at all...

before i sent my 40 in it was on the stock bottom out setting (medium) and i would bottom out several times a day. Now with the hard setting i rarely bottom out. Usually just on awkward or hard landings.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
The newer "firmer" bottom out on the 2007 model is just a new glide ring about 8mm in diameter. The 05/06 ones are blue, the 07 is black. It has a tighter fit in the bottom out tube and provides more resistance and can be installed during an oil change.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
The newer "firmer" bottom out on the 2007 model is just a new glide ring about 8mm in diameter. The 05/06 ones are blue, the 07 is black. It has a tighter fit in the bottom out tube and provides more resistance and can be installed during an oil change.
isn't there a change in the seal too? supposed to use a bushing now too. doesn't the 07 also have a smaller dia cart, where the bladder is. and the bottom out is more adjustable, you can also control where it engages in the travel. more info??

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
As far as I know the cart diameter is the same.. fox uses several standard sizes so that most internal assemblies fit into the vise clamp set they sell. I can understand the possibility of a smaller bladder, but its not likely.

On all the dampers you can adjust the firmness of the bottom out. You actually adjust the engagement of the system by arranging the spacers. A firmer setting will engage sooner, and go deeper into the progressivly drilled bottom out chamber. The chamber has less and less holes around it as it reaches the bottom, causing it to spike more and more as it goes towards the end. The softer settings will engage later and travel less further into the chamber. I might have pics.. give me a few minutes.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay

Here you can see the glide ring (blue) and the spacers behind it. This is a photo of the firmest setting. At the end of the travel, it gets forced into a tube with small holes that progressively spike firmer and firmer the further the glide ring enters it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
so the whole adjustment of the bottom out cone is just those spacers? can you make it engage earlier but still in the middle setting? that would be ideal. the fit cart is supposed to save something liek a 100 grams, maybe thats just for the 32 forks.

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
Yeah I remember them mentioning something about that. They also mentioned if I wanted to have it adjusted that I would have to send it into them.